4 weeks for Manu 10 for Marler

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 4 weeks for Manu 10 for Marler

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Maddeningly inconsistent. I genuinely fear that the game is leaning towards becoming a boring kick tennis slog with everybody terrified to tackle each other.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Inconsistency between match officials, especially those generally plying their trade week-in-week-out in different parts of the world, is frustrating but to a degree understandable. Incoherence between two 6N disciplinary panels in the same week is ridiculous.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Longshanks wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:08 am Inconsistency between match officials, especially those generally plying their trade week-in-week-out in different parts of the world, is frustrating but to a degree understandable. Incoherence between two 6N disciplinary panels in the same week is ridiculous.
Incoherence? No, entirely consistent - one perpetrator was English and one was French.
Rod
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rod »

Who pays his wages for the 4 weeks, given he was playing for ENgland and not Tigers?
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

To the people on here who still don't believe a red card was warranted, take a look at the "tackle" in slow motion and if you remove your Tigers-tinted spectacles you might see:
1. North's progress clearly slowed by Slade so North wasn't quite where Manu expected him to be
2. some say Manu's (right) arm was deflected by North's (left) hand off but that contact was negligible and after Manu's right shoulder had already glanced off North's head
3. If Manu's had been the only tackle on North it would have contacted North at hip height so he could've gone lower
4. Manu's left arm also by his side so it was definitely always going to be a shoulder charge
5. clear contact to the head, even if it was glancing and thank goodness it wasn't a full on hit

The RFU is distancing itself from Unsteady Eddie's comments. EJ had said "what was he supposed to do?" in Manu's defence. Well, I guess the answer to that is "if you can't stop him legally, let him score." That's a radical position in a sport (and it's not unique in this) where the players are coached to and beyond the limit of the laws.

Speaking of laws, not the Saints variety, two are really annoying me. Firstly, the hookers don't through into the line-out from the mark. They take a step to their own side so a "straight" throw goes down their side of the line but the ref doesn't blow for "not straight". This weekend there were several instances of the assistant ref spotting this and the hooker moving back to the mark only to step again just before the throw.

The second is time taken for penalties. Have a basketball style clock and allow say 45 or even 60 seconds from the time the penalty is awarded to when its open play again. Too often a team will take 30 seconds or so to even decide what to do then indicate to the sticks. Then another minutes elapses as the kicker goes through his rituals.

My blood pressure can't take a rant about scrums!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Not a jock wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:34 amFirstly, the hookers don't through into the line-out from the mark. They take a step to their own side so a "straight" throw goes down their side of the line but the ref doesn't blow for "not straight". This weekend there were several instances of the assistant ref spotting this and the hooker moving back to the mark only to step again just before the throw.
You forgot to mention the majority of players throwing in are now usually 'inside the field of play' when they throw in, rather than 'outside'.

:smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Not a jock wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:34 am To the people on here who still don't believe a red card was warranted, take a look at the "tackle" in slow motion and if you remove your Tigers-tinted spectacles you might see:
1. North's progress clearly slowed by Slade so North wasn't quite where Manu expected him to be
2. some say Manu's (right) arm was deflected by North's (left) hand off but that contact was negligible and after Manu's right shoulder had already glanced off North's head
3. If Manu's had been the only tackle on North it would have contacted North at hip height so he could've gone lower
4. Manu's left arm also by his side so it was definitely always going to be a shoulder charge
5. clear contact to the head, even if it was glancing and thank goodness it wasn't a full on hit

The RFU is distancing itself from Unsteady Eddie's comments. EJ had said "what was he supposed to do?" in Manu's defence. Well, I guess the answer to that is "if you can't stop him legally, let him score." That's a radical position in a sport (and it's not unique in this) where the players are coached to and beyond the limit of the laws.

Speaking of laws, not the Saints variety, two are really annoying me. Firstly, the hookers don't through into the line-out from the mark. They take a step to their own side so a "straight" throw goes down their side of the line but the ref doesn't blow for "not straight". This weekend there were several instances of the assistant ref spotting this and the hooker moving back to the mark only to step again just before the throw.

The second is time taken for penalties. Have a basketball style clock and allow say 45 or even 60 seconds from the time the penalty is awarded to when its open play again. Too often a team will take 30 seconds or so to even decide what to do then indicate to the sticks. Then another minutes elapses as the kicker goes through his rituals.

My blood pressure can't take a rant about scrums!
No Manu had his left arm out in front of him.

The video fails to show contact with North’s head. The video from one angle looks like it but the other angle shows they were not in contact at the time.
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

See 1:22 on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STf3oKoWvzk
No sign of Manu's left arm so it certainly wasn't ahead of him preparing to wrap North for a legal tackle.
North's head and neck at a strange angle having just been hit a glancing blow by Manu's right shoulder.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

All seems harsh to me, just play on.
The punch from the French lad apart which as it was instigated by some scowling collar grabbing mischief-maker probably warrants two weeks.
Ten weeks just for a bit of fun.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

BFG wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:07 pm All seems harsh to me, just play on.
The punch from the French lad apart which as it was instigated by some scowling collar grabbing mischief-maker probably warrants two weeks.
I never thought I'd see Alun Whinge-Jones joining the Me-toos.

He's been compared to Johnno in the past, can you imagine?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

loretta wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:39 am
BFG wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:07 pm All seems harsh to me, just play on.
I never thought I'd see Alun Whinge-Jones joining the Me-toos.

He's been compared to Johnno in the past, can you imagine?
I'm very much with you two on this. Fantastic article by Healey in the DT on the subject of discipline on a rugby field, sums up the feelings of many of us "old schoolers" I should think.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... lice-game/
Soggypitch
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Funny thing about this is if the ref or TJ didn't miss a blatantly skewed throwin around the 70th minute we would've been packing down in the Wales half with our put-in!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Punishing the retaliation and not the provocation? That’s just life I’m afraid, retaliators always get more punishment.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:10 am
RichieB wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:16 am If he was banned for 4 weeks, the decision made on Thursday 12th March, then my calendar suggests the 4 weeks are up on 9th April - not 14th. It matters because of the London Irish game.
They say weeks but mean meaningful matches. Tigers don’t have a game this week so this week isn’t counted. He will be unavailable for Exeter, Bath, Castres and London Irish.
Can I just ask if the Italy game would be included. I know it was postponed before his ban
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:30 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:10 am
RichieB wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:16 am If he was banned for 4 weeks, the decision made on Thursday 12th March, then my calendar suggests the 4 weeks are up on 9th April - not 14th. It matters because of the London Irish game.
They say weeks but mean meaningful matches. Tigers don’t have a game this week so this week isn’t counted. He will be unavailable for Exeter, Bath, Castres and London Irish.
Can I just ask if the Italy game would be included. I know it was postponed before his ban
It will be the following 4 matches after him being given the ban.