Will games get cancelled?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Will games get cancelled?

Post by BFG »

If they suspend mass gatherings will Sale and LI still be able to play home matches!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:41 pm If they suspend mass gatherings will Sale and LI still be able to play home matches!
They’ll be fine you’re allowed 3 feet between people
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:41 pm If they suspend mass gatherings will Sale and LI still be able to play home matches!
:smt046
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:28 pm Being reported that premiership will be suspended for 4 weeks initially with European competitions following suit.
https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... -suspended
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Minimum 4 weeks - with some clubs pushing for 10 to 12 as a starter....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It should be just four weeks.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

JP14 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:15 am It should be just four weeks.
Even thought the epidemic is expected to peak in 10-14 weeks time? Thats the peak, after that the number of new infections will still be the same as now or more as it tails off. Try 2021.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

chewbacca wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:57 am
Even thought the epidemic is expected to peak in 10-14 weeks time? Thats the peak, after that the number of new infections will still be the same as now or more as it tails off. Try 2021.
Agreed it is likely we won’t see any more professional sport for a good few months. Authorities are going to have to err on the side of caution
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

chewbacca wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:57 am
Depends. That's the new report from some sources. Originally the expectation was it would peak here in April and then die away by June. As the virus is apparently mutating I guess it's pretty much impossible to predict.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

This might be interesting to some. https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Sad to say this is likely to last a fair old while. My guess is the old order will change a lot in the interim with a couple of clubs collapsing, player rosters changing and contracting, and the landscape generally being quite different. And I'd just got the black euro shirt out for the Castres match. :smt010 :smt010 :smt010
A lot will depend on whether schools etc close - these drive later infection rates according to the Chinese studies - while this country's tardiness is explicable as it seems to be driven by City economics and little else bar the parlous state of testing and treatment (setting up the financial sector home working system before lockdown, staffing key resources etc). Will the rich owners be around, still be rich etc? Will health services cope or collapse...…?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:42 am Sad to say this is likely to last a fair old while. My guess is the old order will change a lot in the interim with a couple of clubs collapsing, player rosters changing and contracting, and the landscape generally being quite different. And I'd just got the black euro shirt out for the Castres match. :smt010 :smt010 :smt010
A lot will depend on whether schools etc close - these drive later infection rates according to the Chinese studies - while this country's tardiness is explicable as it seems to be driven by City economics and little else (setting up the financial sector home working system before lockdown, staffing key resources etc). Will the rich owners be around, still be rich etc?
I think it is difficult to entirely believe the claims that the strategy is always lead by the science. Things are indeed going to get difficult. Online shopping cannot cope with deliveries, as more people become sick the supply chain will be disrupted and our health systems swamped. Im surprised we haven't seen rationing introduced yet. Testing is vital to understand who has it and to track the disease but also who has had it and is now hopefully immune and can continue as normally as they are able.
Last edited by chewbacca on Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

chewbacca wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:47 am
jgriffin wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:42 am Sad to say this is likely to last a fair old while. My guess is the old order will change a lot in the interim with a couple of clubs collapsing, player rosters changing and contracting, and the landscape generally being quite different. And I'd just got the black euro shirt out for the Castres match. :smt010 :smt010 :smt010
A lot will depend on whether schools etc close - these drive later infection rates according to the Chinese studies - while this country's tardiness is explicable as it seems to be driven by City economics and little else (setting up the financial sector home working system before lockdown, staffing key resources etc). Will the rich owners be around, still be rich etc?
I think it is difficult to entirely believe the claims that the strategy is always lead by the science. Things are indeed going to get difficult. Online shopping cannot cope with deliveries, as more people become sick the supply chain will be disrupted and our health systems swamped. Im surprised we haven't seen rationing introduced yet.
I'm afraid the ideology of the current government is hampering reaction and action. Sequestering private resources, as Spain has done, instead of paying £2.4mil A DAY for 8k private beds. Same with ideas of rationing and community organising.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:49 am
chewbacca wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:47 am
I think it is difficult to entirely believe the claims that the strategy is always lead by the science. Things are indeed going to get difficult. Online shopping cannot cope with deliveries, as more people become sick the supply chain will be disrupted and our health systems swamped. Im surprised we haven't seen rationing introduced yet.
I'm afraid the ideology of the current government is hampering reaction and action. Sequestering private resources, as Spain has done, instead of paying £2.4mil A DAY for 8k private beds. Same with ideas of rationing and community organising.
Well we must remember that morbidity is proportional to wealth. As ever the poorer and disadvantaged amongst society will bear the brunt of the losses.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

This virus is here to stay, look at the distribution around the world, many estimates suggest true infection rate is 10 to 100-fold higher than "confirmed" cases. Long term we have to look towards immunity either by infection or vaccination, vaccine is 12 months away and you need to add on production, distribution and administration to effectively the whole world.

For many the illness is short-lived but unpleasant, focus resources on helping the most at risk.

Unfortunately most politicians (and public) are only interested in the next couple of weeks.