Will games get cancelled?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dpoc74
Top Cat
Top Cat

Will games get cancelled?

Post by dpoc74 »

So Scotland are banning all gatherings over 500 people, the govt are talking about bringing in the next phase to delay the spread, Leicester football club have three players in isolation, I am being asked to stay at home to work (as I am sure some of you are) It wouldn’t surprise me if the rest of the season were called off. It would be a very unsatisfactory (but understandable) end to a very unsatisfactory season (for many reasons!)
I would like the chance to go to welford road at least once more, have a few pints of Guinness and scratch my head just one more time why penalties are given at breakdowns for nothing more obvious to me than the ref felt like it. But I understand if I can’t.
It will however be the longest pre season ever! I might have to find a new hobby!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Will games get cancelled?

Post by Big Dai »

The only fatal disease spreading out control at the moment is Panic. Panic is more deadly and has wider consequences than any virus.

(Thus spake the ex prop from behind a Darth Vader breath mask, two dozen bottles of hand sanitser and a wall of Andrex bog roll. Other brands are available, but as the world is going to the dogs I thought I'd join them. )
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

So, if the rest of the season does get called off, do Sarries stay up next year and avoid their punishment? :smt017
I get the feeling that their lawyers would have a field day if the penalty points were carried over, and as far as I'm aware, there isn't another mechanism - but what do I know?

Pro 14 is off.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51858815
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I would've thought that sports clubs will be allowed to continue.
Delaying tactics will only work if restrictions are put in place on everything.
The Irish response is only half measures.
When Italy shut things down in the North folk used the free time for leisure and travel and spread it further.
Quite frankly what Italy originally did and didn't do was pathetic in my opinion, they basically gave those infected the opportunity to spread it further more quickly.
Closing schools alone will not work, kids will still hang out, attend activity clubs and so on.
Television and news love stirring it up, more folk stuck at home means more viewers and more viewers means more money.
Folk washing their hands often and coughing into a tissue should be standard practice but unfortunately is not, my old man always carried a tissue and so do I.
I never fail to be shocked at the amount of people that walk straight out of public toilets without washing their hands.
Vulnerable people and those close need to be very careful, extra support should be put into this particular area.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Almost inevitable I would say, actually in Tiger's case it would save us from further suffering and I don't mean the Mexican beer flu.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

BFG wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:54 pm I would've thought that sports clubs will be allowed to continue.
When Italy shut things down in the North folk used the free time for leisure and travel and spread it further.
Quite frankly what Italy originally did and didn't do was pathetic in my opinion, they basically gave those infected the opportunity to spread it further more quickly.
Closing schools alone will not work, kids will still hang out, attend activity clubs and so on.
Television and news love stirring it up, more folk stuck at home means more viewers and more viewers means more money.
Folk washing their hands often and coughing into a tissue should be standard practice but unfortunately is not, my old man always carried a tissue and so do I.
I never fail to be shocked at the amount of people that walk straight out of public toilets without washing their hands.
Vulnerable people and those close need to be very careful, extra support should be put into this particular area.
Toilet doors are very very badly designed, you wash your hands and then have to touch the door handle to get in/out, when will someone design a swing door that's safe both ways?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

You've lost me Loretta. Regardless of how this season ends Sarries will be in the Championship ,why would that change? Or am I missing something?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Big Dai wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:24 pm The only fatal disease spreading out control at the moment is Panic. Panic is more deadly and has wider consequences than any virus.

(Thus spake the ex prop from behind a Darth Vader breath mask, two dozen bottles of hand sanitser and a wall of Andrex bog roll. Other brands are available, but as the world is going to the dogs I thought I'd join them. )
You can get Andrex in Wales? I had no idea!
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I'd be highly surprised if we play again this season, from most estimates this isn't going to go away for 3-6 months and they can't postpone that many games nor can Rugby afford to play that many games without gate receipts
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

There's also the fact that all it takes is one player catching it and entire teams will be unavailable
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

G.K wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:59 pm
Big Dai wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:24 pm The only fatal disease spreading out control at the moment is Panic. Panic is more deadly and has wider consequences than any virus.

You can get Andrex in Wales? I had no idea!
Not at the moment! Izal only. 😎😎😁😁
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Ah the Izal medicated also doubles up as tracing paper
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Closing schools is dumb as our government has recognised thank goodness. Children seem to only get a mild illness (there have been zero fatalities in the 9 and under age group) and, if parents are working, these children are likely to go to Grandparents thus putting the most vulnerable at risk.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

LE18 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:48 pm
BFG wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:54 pm I would've thought that sports clubs will be allowed to continue.
Toilet doors are very very badly designed, you wash your hands and then have to touch the door handle to get in/out, when will someone design a swing door that's safe both ways?
Supposed to open inwards, health and safety I think!?
Foot bolts, the old ways are the best.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:57 pm You've lost me Loretta. Regardless of how this season ends Sarries will be in the Championship ,why would that change? Or am I missing something?
As I understand it, the mechanism for relegating Sarries was to inflict a huge points deduction, which was intended to ensure that they ended at the bottom of the table at the end of the season. So, if the season is scratched, will the table just be wiped and hit reset next year? Meaning that the penalty is wiped off the books as collateral damage. You can argue that Sarries were mathematically guaranteed to go down, but to do that you need someone to be promoted and who would come up? Remember, the Championship may well have to be cancelled too, it would probably be Newcastle but Ealing wouldn't let that assumption go by unchallenged. A mess.
Last edited by loretta on Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….