Will games get cancelled?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Will games get cancelled?

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Caerlyr Osprey wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:36 pm Assuming games go on hold for a couple of weeks until the start of the April, I'm wondering how this will impact Manu and his ban given that he can start playing again from the middle of next month?
Although it’s a 4 week ban, it’s actually a 4 match ban so Manu will the next 4 matches, irrelevant of when they are played.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

"The Disciplinary Committee found that the act of foul play warranted a mid-range entry point (six weeks’ suspension) and reduced that by two weeks to take account of mitigating factors (including good conduct and immediate remorse). Tuilagi is therefore suspended for four weeks and, given his playing schedule, he is free to resume playing on Tuesday, 14 April 2020. He was reminded of his right of appeal."

From the RFU website. You can argue either way, but I'd be surprised in these exceptional circumstances if the ban was carried over to next season.

Just reported on the beeb that the government are set to ban mass gatherings soon, legislation being drawn up, so that looks like it for this years season. Looking like a very long pre-season ahead.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

loretta wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:33 amJust reported on the beeb that the government are set to ban mass gatherings soon, legislation being drawn up, so that looks like it for this years season. Looking like a very long pre-season ahead.
Also being reported that the government will pay organisations compensation for having to cancel events.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

It is only my own personal opinion but I would be gobsmacked if we see anymore live rugby this season. Not sure if that is a good thing re personal health etc but what I do feel is that the Sarries punishment must hold and if I feel that way which I do then the question over Manu and Jo's bans must also hold. The problem is that their bans have a restart to play date and have taken into account their playing schedule. I believe my memory is correct that many players have been banned and were injured and the ban did not take any issue with the fact that they couldn't play due to injury, just their club's schedule.
Hehehehehehehehe
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I used to be work on GWR trains and I think the biggest problem is the squashing in the carriages. During Cheltenham Gold Cup week all trains were full and standing from Paddington to Cheltenham. Internationals in the Millennium stadium produced fewer but equally crowded trains. Likewise Glastonbury and Reading festivals. No doubt other events across the country generate similar issues. Wandering around a relatively large field at a pop festival or race meeting may not be problem but being six inches away from a dozen people for over an hour may be
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Will games get cancelled?

No sooner said . . . .
Valhalla I am coming!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I'd say the season ended right here, right now.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

One good thing though. We will remain unbeaten until the end of the season. :smt002 :smt041
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Doing the rounds theres several Sarries fans that see their team challenging relegation If this season is declared null and void. Their argument is that if the season doesn't happen how can they be charged for going over the salary cap and getting the second punishment which was another 35 points. They are confident that they wont be relegated and at worst will start next season in the league -35 points. Interesting times ahead.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:06 pm Doing the rounds theres several Sarries fans that see their team challenging relegation If this season is declared null and void. Their argument is that if the season doesn't happen how can they be charged for going over the salary cap and getting the second punishment which was another 35 points. They are confident that they wont be relegated and at worst will start next season in the league -35 points. Interesting times ahead.
There will be many different views on this. Imho there is a huge difference in the season being declared null and void and the league finishing now and everyone’s positions staying as they are.
Neither scenario is ideal, but in my view the 2nd scenario would be preferable, less complaints from clubs other than who plays in what European competition, the champions just wouldn’t be named this season.
If the season is declared null and void then it’s as though nothing has happened, all results are wiped, does that mean all points scored are removed from the record, any cards issued are no longer counted.
Finally what are Newcastle going to think about spending another year in the championship, I would think they would definitely challenge that.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I havnt got any answers Mark im afraid. I believe the European competitions have a no championship teams rule too. So hows that going to work if Sarries are relegated? Would the EPCR replay this season's competition or a fresh one with the teams in the places they are now? I bet a few legal teams are rubbing their hands as we speak!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:12 pm I havnt got any answers Mark im afraid. I believe the European competitions have a no championship teams rule too. So hows that going to work if Sarries are relegated? Would the EPCR replay this season's competition or a fresh one with the teams in the places they are now? I bet a few legal teams are rubbing their hands as we speak!
That’s one I hadn’t thought of Scott, any other year and things would be (a bit) more predictable. But one thing I’ve learned is that nothing is ever as simple as you first thought! You should see some of my “home improvements “. As you say, interesting times ahead.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:02 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:06 pm Doing the rounds theres several Sarries fans that see their team challenging relegation If this season is declared null and void. Their argument is that if the season doesn't happen how can they be charged for going over the salary cap and getting the second punishment which was another 35 points. They are confident that they wont be relegated and at worst will start next season in the league -35 points. Interesting times ahead.
There will be many different views on this. Imho there is a huge difference in the season being declared null and void and the league finishing now and everyone’s positions staying as they are.
Neither scenario is ideal, but in my view the 2nd scenario would be preferable, less complaints from clubs other than who plays in what European competition, the champions just wouldn’t be named this season.
If the season is declared null and void then it’s as though nothing has happened, all results are wiped, does that mean all points scored are removed from the record, any cards issued are no longer counted.
Finally what are Newcastle going to think about spending another year in the championship, I would think they would definitely challenge that.
The complexities of this are mind boggling. All those affected (players, referees, season ticket holders, sponsors, TV rights holders, Club management, insurers, etc, etc) will be dusting off their Ts&Cs only to find that no-one ever foresaw this happening! It's incredibly unsettling when people want to plan and make sensible judgements going forward and yet doing so before they are forced to could mean losing some or all of their rights.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

almost inevitably....
so we are about to see and feel how socially inept we really are...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Being reported that premiership will be suspended for 4 weeks initially with European competitions following suit.