Will games get cancelled?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Will games get cancelled?

Post by kpj tiger »

Old Hob wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:24 pm Closing schools is dumb as our government has recognised thank goodness. Children seem to only get a mild illness (there have been zero fatalities in the 9 and under age group) and, if parents are working, these children are likely to go to Grandparents thus putting the most vulnerable at risk.
Agreed, from listening to a couple of experts speaking over the last couple days closing schools is more of a symbolic move
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:31 pm
Old Hob wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:24 pm Closing schools is dumb as our government has recognised thank goodness. Children seem to only get a mild illness (there have been zero fatalities in the 9 and under age group) and, if parents are working, these children are likely to go to Grandparents thus putting the most vulnerable at risk.
Agreed, from listening to a couple of experts speaking over the last couple days closing schools is more of a symbolic move
..... But those in power must be seen to be doing something rather than nothing.........
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

loretta wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:30 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:57 pm You've lost me Loretta. Regardless of how this season ends Sarries will be in the Championship ,why would that change? Or am I missing something?
As I understand it, the mechanism for relegating Sarries was to inflict a huge points deduction, which was intended to ensure that they ended at the bottom of the table at the end of the season. So, if the season is scratched, will the table just be wiped and hit reset next year? Meaning that the penalty is wiped off the books as collateral damage. You can argue that Sarries were mathematically guaranteed to go down, but to do that you need someone to be promoted and who would come up? Remember, the Championship may well have to be cancelled too, it would probably be Newcastle but Ealing wouldn't let that assumption go by unchallenged. A mess.
Saracens releasing biological agent leading to global pandemic to avoid relegation confirmed! I was always told to follow the money :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

LittleBigG wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:10 pm
loretta wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:30 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:57 pm You've lost me Loretta. Regardless of how this season ends Sarries will be in the Championship ,why would that change? Or am I missing something?
As I understand it, the mechanism for relegating Sarries was to inflict a huge points deduction, which was intended to ensure that they ended at the bottom of the table at the end of the season. So, if the season is scratched, will the table just be wiped and hit reset next year? Meaning that the penalty is wiped off the books as collateral damage. You can argue that Sarries were mathematically guaranteed to go down, but to do that you need someone to be promoted and who would come up? Remember, the Championship may well have to be cancelled too, it would probably be Newcastle but Ealing wouldn't let that assumption go by unchallenged. A mess.
Saracens releasing biological agent leading to global pandemic to avoid relegation confirmed! I was always told to follow the money :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Very few cases in South Africa - even more suspicious. Krugerand holds up, players still paid - world domination Mr Bond
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Except of course that lots of human to human contact is a great way of spreading the infection (Latest estimate circa 2.6 persons infected for every carrier) and that as their movement is unrestricted then these children, now infected are going to visit their vulnerable grandparents anyway as well as infecting others that they come into close contact with. No this government is dumb in not taking sufficient action to prevent us entering the same situation as Italy. Only time will tell if the UK response which is so at odds with just about every other country was the correct one. Personally I doubt it.
I'm not cynical just experienced
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

chewbacca wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:37 am
Except of course that lots of human to human contact is a great way of spreading the infection (Latest estimate circa 2.6 persons infected for every carrier) and that as their movement is unrestricted then these children, now infected are going to visit their vulnerable grandparents anyway as well as infecting others that they come into close contact with. No this government is dumb in not taking sufficient action to prevent us entering the same situation as Italy. Only time will tell if the UK response which is so at odds with just about every other country was the correct one. Personally I doubt it.
I think that you misunderstand what happened in Italy.
They shut down the North but didn't restrict movement, and it spread.
People from the North were actually using the free time for leisure and travel.
Incompetence.
The U.K response is that this thing is now spreading no matter what, you can shut down for two or four weeks but then what!
This virus is being missed and so is not fully understood.
Any discovery of an immunisation will likely come about as it spreads amongst a more diverse population.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Yes Italy’s response was slow and not expansive enough. We have ignored that and are doing even less. Avoiding infection is highly unlikely the game is to spread the peak over several weeks or months in the hope our critical services are not overwhelmed. That is done by reducing contact. It’s here to stay but if the doubling rate is left to remain at 4 days by inaction then it isn’t many cycles when more than half the population is infected and our health services have no hope of coping
I'm not cynical just experienced
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

All football off. All French and Pro14 off. RFU?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:15 am All football off. All French and Pro14 off. RFU?
Announcement about 4 o'clock tomorrow afternoon, I reckon
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks for the reply Loretta. There could be legal challenges either way but for me there are only two realistic options. Start the season over with Sarries still having their points deduction or finishing with the table standing as it is. I don't see any chance that Sarries will avoid their punishment. Why? Two words,Tony Rowe. According to some posts I've read,their fans believe if that happened he would just pull them from the league or at least playing against them. Thoughts?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Saracens are facing automatic relegation their points total no longer makes any difference they will be relegated
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:29 pm Saracens are facing automatic relegation their points total no longer makes any difference they will be relegated
Not our debate/point if you read Lorettas initial post mate.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:54 pm Thanks for the reply Loretta. There could be legal challenges either way but for me there are only two realistic options. Start the season over with Sarries still having their points deduction or finishing with the table standing as it is. I don't see any chance that Sarries will avoid their punishment. Why? Two words,Tony Rowe. According to some posts I've read,their fans believe if that happened he would just pull them from the league or at least playing against them. Thoughts?
I agree Scott, I think the uproar resulting from a scratched season would be loud, legal and primarily Devonian. But, I was also surprised that the PRL didn't have the powers to relegate Sarries directly (as I believe were they) and had to go for the points deduction. as I understand it the PRL are self-governing, but it seems that they can't just make up regulations as they go. I'm no great legal eagle but I just wonder if we haven't seen the end of the Sarries farce. One things for sure, if Sarries do get away with it, they'll feel pretty peed off that they haven't got the likes of Malin and Earl for next year.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

It is my understanding that they have been automatically relegated so what happens this season is irrelevant they will go down.
Unless I am completely misunderstanding you