May, Kalamafoni and McPhillps extended injuries

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

May, Kalamafoni and McPhillps extended injuries

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Leicester Tigers trio Sione Kalamafoni, Jonny May and Johnny McPhillips are set for extended periods on the sideline through injury.

Kalamafoni, on the advice of a neurologist, has been stood down for three months after reporting with concussion symptoms following the away defeat at Saracens.

Scans have revealed that May, who was replaced in England’s Six Nations victory over Wales at Twickenham in around 4 of the 2020 Championship, suffered a fractured cheekbone.

The Tigers back has had surgery and is expected to be side-lined for an extended period.

Meanwhile, scans have revealed that McPhillips, who was helped from the field early in his Premiership starting debut away to Saracens, has suffered a posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) tear in his right knee.

He is expected to be unavailable for three months.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Jonny May fractured cheek

Post by Mark62 »

Just posted on another topic that the picture looked post op. Great shame
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: May, Kalamafoni and McPhillps extended injuries

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Kalamafoni our for 3 months means we probably won’t see him again this season.
Is the arrival of Brink related or is there no way he will be fit.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Very bleak news, what with Taute out for 3 mths and Manu potentially facing a long ban our season has taken a massive blow. Thank heavens for Saracens as otherwise we would have kissed goodbye to premiership rugby.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

sapajo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:09 pm Very bleak news, what with Taute out for 3 mths and Manu potentially facing a long ban our season has taken a massive blow. Thank heavens for Saracens as otherwise we would have kissed goodbye to premiership rugby.
Add to that Stewards 4 week ban which doesn’t s help back 3 resources
Last edited by Mark62 on Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

...Anything else whilst we are about it ? ..
Certailnly gets no better.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:17 pm
sapajo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:09 pm Very bleak news, what with Taute out for 3 mths and Manu potentially facing a long ban our season has taken a massive blow. Thank heavens for Saracens as otherwise we would have kissed goodbye to premiership rugby.
Yeah that's really killed us, Steward was getting loads of game time before his ban...
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:54 pm
Mark62 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:17 pm
Yeah that's really killed us, Steward was getting loads of game time before his ban...
What I meant was that it is one less body that is available now May is out for an extended period. Only takes 1 more back 3 injury, with Manu and Taute out too and it becomes an issue
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

Under normal circumstances the injury/ suspended list would make desperate reading for Tigers' fans but these are not normal circumstances as it seems to me the chances of the Gallagher Premier League reaching a conclusion this year are vanishingly small. We know who will be relegated but the winner and top four will have to be calculated on some meaningless statistical basis eg 2 points for both teams in cancelled games. I'm not alarmist by nature but it seems certain time that Covid 19 will have the last word. So it's some small crumb of comfort that injuries and bans for several of our star players actually don't matter very much. Perhaps the enforced rest will do them good!
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Jacko27 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:02 am Under normal circumstances the injury/ suspended list would make desperate reading for Tigers' fans but these are not normal circumstances as it seems to me the chances of the Gallagher Premier League reaching a conclusion this year are vanishingly small. We know who will be relegated but the winner and top four will have to be calculated on some meaningless statistical basis eg 2 points for both teams in cancelled games. I'm not alarmist by nature but it seems certain time that Covid 19 will have the last word. So it's some small crumb of comfort that injuries and bans for several of our star players actually don't matter very much. Perhaps the enforced rest will do them good!
This would be the case every season if the league was ring fenced. It wouldn’t matter about injuries and suspensions as we’d have no fear of relegation.

Ring fencing will kill the game.
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

I agree about ring fencing, I'm totally against it but this year - it seems to me - that not only will there be no competition at the bottom of the league to avoid relegation, there will also be no competition at the top. It seems near certain to me that the season will have to be curtailed and maybe quite soon. A one/two/three month ban on spectator sport would finish off the rugby season. Football might be able to "postpone" matches until the summer or turn it into a TV only sport but I cannot see Rugby Union doing that.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Jacko27 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:44 am I agree about ring fencing, I'm totally against it but this year - it seems to me - that not only will there be no competition at the bottom of the league to avoid relegation, there will also be no competition at the top. It seems near certain to me that the season will have to be curtailed and maybe quite soon. A one/two/three month ban on spectator sport would finish off the rugby season. Football might be able to "postpone" matches until the summer or turn it into a TV only sport but I cannot see Rugby Union doing that.
I am curious why can’t you see Premiership rugby holding matches behind closed doors.

I would think that’s the most likely outcome.
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

Money, in a word. I don't think rugby matches played in empty stadia would generate enough money to justify the risk. Risk being the risk of 46 players plus officials coming into close bodily contact.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Then they should televise all the matches, BT Sport have extra channels or a Red Button equivalent to house them all. That could make up for lost revenue.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni