Will Marler get jail time?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

nasher

Will Marler get jail time?

Post by nasher »

Reported on itv news ex professional rugby player jailed for grabbing policeman by the genitals. Probably a bit more force but he got 21 months. :smt002
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Will Marler get jail time?

Post by wormus »

nasher wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:51 pm Reported on itv news ex professional rugby player jailed for grabbing policeman by the genitals. Probably a bit more force but he got 21 months. :smt002
Yes it was Police Force! :smt043
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Vinnie Jones - v -Paul Gasgoine comes to mind. But that was back in the day.
Question is - Is it acceptable today? The young and impressionable were watching.
Whilst the bemusement on AWJ face was evident. He didn't seem to be overtly outraged.

I think JM may well find himself prosecuted for a Sexual Assault.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

wellstiger wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:25 am Vinnie Jones - v -Paul Gasgoine comes to mind. But that was back in the day.
Question is - Is it acceptable today? The young and impressionable were watching.
Whilst the bemusement on AWJ face was evident. He didn't seem to be overtly outraged.

I can't see anything so drastic happening and AWJ would not seek it.

It was a stupid thing to do in a televised International and will probably be looked at in terms of bringing the game into disrepute. Hopefully the punishment will be minimal and we can all move on.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

wellstiger wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:25 am Vinnie Jones - v -Paul Gasgoine comes to mind. But that was back in the day.

What Marler did would not have been acceptable in the past.
He would've been chinned big time, and I reckon he would not have even dared to do it in the past anyway.
It's all about image these days and in my opinion he would not last long on the rugby pitches of the past.
When the joker becomes the joke it's not a good look.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Noggs wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:19 am

It was a stupid thing to do in a televised International and will probably be looked at in terms of bringing the game into disrepute. Hopefully the punishment will be minimal and we can all move on.
AWJ wouldn't want it, are you kidding? non of this would not have blown up if AWJ hadn't kept going on about it, even down to his sad little story that he would have got a red card for any retaliation, because he has been absolutely innocent throughout his career, oh not that's right he never gets pinged because he is AWJ as I said in another topic, my respect for him went down hugely after Saturday
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:15 am
Noggs wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:19 am

AWJ wouldn't want it, are you kidding? non of this would not have blown up if AWJ hadn't kept going on about it, even down to his sad little story that he would have got a red card for any retaliation, because he has been absolutely innocent throughout his career, oh not that's right he never gets pinged because he is AWJ as I said in another topic, my respect for him went down hugely after Saturday
Really??

Marler was massively wrong & should be severely punished. In the old days he would of woken up on the turf, it is behaviour like this and the general holding, grabbing & shouting in opponents faces that used to be self policed, the game is worse for that not happening.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The days when all sorts of stuff went on are still going on, and self-policing (from the other side or even your own) still happens. Since the upper echelons of the game seem to be detaching as some form of independent entertainment and cash cow for hedge funds, I suppose hands can be thrown up and collective gasping/pontificating will occupy some people. Personally, AWJ should have either decked Marler or kissed the top of his head. His actual response was pathetic IMO.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I could not agree more.
A life long Tiger
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Smudge wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:31 am I could not agree more.
:smt038 :smt041 :smt023
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

I would be surprised if he gets less than six months but nine might be closer to the mark, given the premeditation and his lack of remorse.

That said, disciplinary committees are sometimes a lottery.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If AWJ had floored Marler, there are plenty on here who would of been carping on about that, likewise whoever's finally punches Itoje with some of his antics.

In the present times Marler has to be made an example of.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I have no issues with AWJ’s reaction to it, he’s been much worse than that in the past.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Low end for grasping the genitals is 12 weeks.

He'll cop a ban, and he should. I don't get the high horses on either side - it's perfectly possible to find it funny at the time but also unacceptable. I'd find it funny if Owen Farrell was held upside down by the ankles and spanked but it shouldn't happen on the pitch.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:06 am The days when all sorts of stuff went on are still going on, and self-policing (from the other side or even your own) still happens. Since the upper echelons of the game seem to be detaching as some form of independent entertainment and cash cow for hedge funds, I suppose hands can be thrown up and collective gasping/pontificating will occupy some people. Personally, AWJ should have either decked Marler or kissed the top of his head. His actual response was pathetic IMO.
Television and recorded matches are full of niggle.
An action for a reaction, a reaction for action.
They are all pathetic especially when they start dancing around their handbags.
I quite enjoyed the France game until the red card was shown, the Scots do like to niggle IMO and got the reaction they were playing for.