Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Will Marler get jail time?

Post by biffer »

BFG wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:01 pm
jgriffin wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:06 am The days when all sorts of stuff went on are still going on, and self-policing (from the other side or even your own) still happens. Since the upper echelons of the game seem to be detaching as some form of independent entertainment and cash cow for hedge funds, I suppose hands can be thrown up and collective gasping/pontificating will occupy some people. Personally, AWJ should have either decked Marler or kissed the top of his head. His actual response was pathetic IMO.
Television and recorded matches are full of niggle.
An action for a reaction, a reaction for action.
They are all pathetic especially when they start dancing around their handbags.
I quite enjoyed the France game until the red card was shown, the Scots do like to niggle IMO and got the reaction they were playing for.
We don't go around grabbing people in the crotch.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

He did it so openly, looking around him as he did it, seemed very proud of his behaviour. What damage might he have inflicted. :smt017 :smt018
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

IMO JM just diffused the situation by giving AWJ's nuts a bit of a tweak. If AWJ hadn't had his arm on JM's neck nothing would have happened. I can't believe AWJ has never done or had anything like this done before. AWJ needs to get over himself, he's just gutted that Wales cant even beat a 13 man England and his career is nearly over.

This sort of thing has always happened in sport and still does. Sports people are always slapping each others backsides, should they stop that as well?

I remember being in a fight when I was a kid, the other guy got me in a head lock and was punching me so I grabbed his nuts, he soon let go of me!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

He’s posted a response, pleading for World Rugby to not succumb to the trial-by-social-media which is fair enough. Still think he should get a couple of weeks on the naughty step though.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

A couple of weeks on the naughty step seems about right to me based on 'bringing the game into disrepute' (just). We certainly don't wan't to involve the courts in this which is the point made when I said AWJ would not want that.

What happens on the field stays on the field.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I can't get over some of the righteous pronouncements on here (and elsewhere). I played (lower division) rugby in wales, my youngest was a contemporary of AWJ. The repertoire of niggle, fisticuffs and knowing rudity evident there and elsewhere must have passed the saintly AWJ by, and some of the other 'saints' on here. Breathtaking :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Noggs wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:11 am What happens on the field stays on the field.
At this level, I think television and social media have largely put an end to that notion.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Niggle occurs in just about every international game, nothing new there. Poor officiating has resulted in Marler getting an undeserved citing as nothing was seen to be done about it on the day. Had the AR or TMO bought the incident to the refs attention, a penalty would be awarded (or YC as Faz was about to get a penalty against him for causing that melee), which would in turn make Marler and the rest of the world aware that it's not acceptable. All those people on their moral high horses quoting 'sexual assault', 'thug' and such like, need to literally do what Marler did and get a grip, it was not acceptable but at the same time just a bit of niggle.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

DingDong wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:37 am Niggle occurs in just about every international game, nothing new there. Poor officiating has resulted in Marler getting an undeserved citing as nothing was seen to be done about it on the day. Had the AR or TMO bought the incident to the refs attention, a penalty would be awarded (or YC as Faz was about to get a penalty against him for causing that melee), which would in turn make Marler and the rest of the world aware that it's not acceptable. All those people on their moral high horses quoting 'sexual assault', 'thug' and such like, need to literally do what Marler did and get a grip, it was not acceptable but at the same time just a bit of niggle.
Marler has been cited for 2 reasons only, Social media and AWJ
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

...oh and this is the best tweet on the subject from the legend Lewis Moody IMO -
"This was not an aggressive act to cause harm or an assault. It was a cheeky moment between adversaries who I dare say know each other well. I cannot count the number of nut shots I received from opponents when walking through a tunnel at the end of a game".
People who are offended should just ignore this issue and carry on panic buying their toilet rolls.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Chobbsy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:48 am
DingDong wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:37 am Niggle occurs in just about every international game, nothing new there. Poor officiating has resulted in Marler getting an undeserved citing as nothing was seen to be done about it on the day. Had the AR or TMO bought the incident to the refs attention, a penalty would be awarded (or YC as Faz was about to get a penalty against him for causing that melee), which would in turn make Marler and the rest of the world aware that it's not acceptable. All those people on their moral high horses quoting 'sexual assault', 'thug' and such like, need to literally do what Marler did and get a grip, it was not acceptable but at the same time just a bit of niggle.
Marler has been cited for 2 reasons only, Social media and AWJ
Or the fact that on primetime TV he touched someone inappropriately without their permission?
Yes it goes on, but that does not make it right or show the game in a good light, the same reason, large brawls aren't allowed anymore.
Marler has form for this sort of nonsense & as per drugs or financial cheats in sport there is only one way to sort it out & that's set an example.
The refereeing team had a poor game discipline wise all over, although they got the actual play decisions mostly right.
The real shame is the game won't be remembered for a fantastic Welsh try.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

biffer wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:32 pm
BFG wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:01 pm
jgriffin wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:06 am The days when all sorts of stuff went on are still going on, and self-policing (from the other side or even your own) still happens. Since the upper echelons of the game seem to be detaching as some form of independent entertainment and cash cow for hedge funds, I suppose hands can be thrown up and collective gasping/pontificating will occupy some people. Personally, AWJ should have either decked Marler or kissed the top of his head. His actual response was pathetic IMO.
Television and recorded matches are full of niggle.
An action for a reaction, a reaction for action.
They are all pathetic especially when they start dancing around their handbags.
I quite enjoyed the France game until the red card was shown, the Scots do like to niggle IMO and got the reaction they were playing for.
We don't go around grabbing people in the crotch.
Thats a Bute... :smt073

I never travel North without reinforced shirt collars and a handbag tracker.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Joe Marler, bless him, the gift that keeps on giving.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

DingDong wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:15 am ...oh and this is the best tweet on the subject from the legend Lewis Moody IMO -
"This was not an aggressive act to cause harm or an assault. It was a cheeky moment between adversaries who I dare say know each other well. I cannot count the number of nut shots I received from opponents when walking through a tunnel at the end of a game".
People who are offended should just ignore this issue and carry on panic buying their toilet rolls.
Nut shots? What about the “last one gets it”? :smt003
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Longshanks wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:46 am
Noggs wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:11 am What happens on the field stays on the field.
At this level, I think television and social media have largely put an end to that notion.
The point I was making was that as a sport we do and will manage on field 'errors of judgement' withing the sport. We don't want to involve the men in blue and in this case I don't believe the victim would want that.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!