England v Wales

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: England v Wales

Post by Tiglon »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:47 am Did anyone else think the challenge that took May out needed looking at? I did at the time. Straight away I was thinking deliberate elbow to the head. But I was on my own. may still be.
I agree, but it is debatable. For me the Welsh player went into the air going for the ball but then realised he couldn't get it, made no attempt to catch it and crashed into May instead which was very dangerous. There might not have been any malicious intent, but I didn't think there needed to be under the current rules?

As others have said, the lack of consistency is ridiculous, I've seen yellow and red given for similar incidents.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Am I right in thinking that one of my previous posts got deleted?

I'll moderate it slightly and perhaps the Chinese style censorship will be avoided.

Caucasian player tackles pacific islander in the head - penalty only. Pacific islander tackles caucasian player in the head - red card. Draw your own conclusions.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Longshanks. As far as i recall Manu's sinful playing record is a five week ban when as a 19 year old he thumped Chris Ashton surely mitigation enough. Although there have been other off field incidents they should not be taken into account by a disciplinary committee. Personally I didn't think yesterday's tackle on North deserved a red but I recognise that in the current climate it was probably inevitable. I think the logical compromise between supporting the referee and justice for the player is a four week ban halved for previous good behaviour and genuine contrition by the player, I have faith that the panel sitting to examine this case will do so with both logic and justice in mind as indeed they always do???????.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Marler will probably get a ban for his antics, the entire nation of Wales is on the internet calling it a police incident. He definetly shouldn't have done it but seeing Jones, one of the dirtiest players in the game, wring his hands on TV doesn't really sit right. Would have been all fun and games if they'd won I suspect.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:12 am Longshanks. As far as i recall Manu's sinful playing record is a five week ban when as a 19 year old he thumped Chris Ashton surely mitigation enough. Although there have been other off field incidents they should not be taken into account by a disciplinary committee. Personally I didn't think yesterday's tackle on North deserved a red but I recognise that in the current climate it was probably inevitable. I think the logical compromise between supporting the referee and justice for the player is a four week ban halved for previous good behaviour and genuine contrition by the player, I have faith that the panel sitting to examine this case will do so with both logic and justice in mind as indeed they always do???????.
I sincerely hope I am proved wrong but my expectation is that anything other than an unblemished career has the effect of increasing the sanction awarded. I agree that off-field incidents should not be a factor but bearing in mind that World Rugby wants to be seen to be taking a strong position on safety, a player with Manu's reputation is more than likely going to be exploited as an example. Unjust as it would be, that's my fear.
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Would have thought AWJ would have been used to be a bit of fiddling, coming from a Valley in Little Britain..
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:10 am Am I right in thinking that one of my previous posts got deleted?

I'll moderate it slightly and perhaps the Chinese style censorship will be avoided.

Caucasian player tackles pacific islander in the head - penalty only. Pacific islander tackles caucasian player in the head - red card. Draw your own conclusions.
It is a pretty far fetched idea given that Sir himself looks to possibly have some Pacific Island heritage.
Don't think you were censored but more protected from looking stupid.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Longshanks wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:30 am... I don't imagine Eddie Jones calling the decision "ridiculous" together with his 13 against 16 comments to the media will help...
Nothing Fast (Lip) Eddie said after the match has any bearing on Manu's case although it may have on said Fast Eddie's.

Manu's clear apology to North and the latter's acceptance will have more bearing.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Well with all the talking points post game, we seem to have forgotten that England played very well and easily beat a strong Welsh team. The score line massively flattered the Welsh.

And a Triple Crown, not to be sniffed at!!

As for Manu, he was incredibly unlucky to be red carded. North was nearly on the deck following Slade's tackle and he was committed. I didn't even think it was a penalty, just one of those things that happen in a full on game of rugby. If he gets any kind of a ban for that it will be shameful.

As for Marler - what a laugh!! AWJ is quite capable of looking after himself, he could have knocked his arm away, pushed him back, any number of things without actually punching him. Gareth Thomas's reaction at half time summed up the whole situation, it was funny, get over it you moaning Welshmen!!!!
Soggypitch
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

The Manu red card throws a shadow over club vs country debate as we were all looking forward to him returning and starting for the club. We are extremely fortunate not to be in another relegation battle otherwise we would be in serious peril without Manu. As it is from a fans and club perspective we are potentially going to be further deprived of seeing and benefitting from our highest paid and stellar player in attack at a time when we do not have the semblance of one.
Last edited by sapajo on Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

also on the Manu tackle, North was down, both knees on the floor, Slade still holding the leg and he was trying to get back up without releasing the ball if he'd obeyed the laws of the game he wouldn't have had to be tackled by Manu as well
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Longshanks wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:23 am
sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:07 am
BFG wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:50 am
It'll be in the coming weeks so for Tigers as well.
I'll be surprised if he is banned given the nature of how the game was refereed.
In particular how Parkes was allowed to high tackle Manu himself and how it kind of set the tone then it would be extremely harsh to impose a further ban in my opinion.
Sadly harshness or indeed any notion of fairness is seldom at the centre of any disciplinary hearing decision making and so I fear a long ban but desperately hope I am badly wrong. We need Manu back not keeping OTY company on the sidelines.
I share your fear. Disciplinary panels seem to see themselves as an extension of the matchday officials rather than being in any way independent. I expect the 6N panel to endorse the on-field decision and to add a hefty ban - there will be some mitigation (despite what O'Keeffe stated at the time) but Manu's record will likely more than wipe that out. I don't think it would be a fair outcome but I have a horrible feeling Manu won't be available again to Tigers this season.
I too share your concern Lambshanks that Manu will be banned for a long time and it is Tigers who suffer and not England yet again..Yes the tackle on May should have been looked at and too the head to head on Manu that cut his eye & head.
But can anyone please explain why the neck tackle on Ben Youngs by Wales hooker was not referred to the TMO and was wiped off as England scored - the fact still remains it was a dangerous neck tackle and should have been carded after all the warnings in the game particularly to England. Why ?? :smt017
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

If Marler had tightened his grip, it would have been Alan Wince Jones.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Comment from Ben Youngs that if the red card incident had happened the other way England would have wanted it to be looked at, and the neither he nor Manu had any problems with the call
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

:smt050
strawclearer wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:29 am
Robespierre wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:57 pm
Jacko27 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:30 pm
You've asked three different questions there, strawclearer. The "best" in my opinion (although I'm Loughborough born and bred I've lived in suburban London for 40+ years and am increasingly allergic to long queues and overcrowded trains) is slightly unorthodox. Take Piccadilly line from Kings Cross to Hounslow East. You'll probably get a seat and you can read your paper & contemplate our forthcoming dismantling of the Welsh team. From HE it's a 15 minute stroll to the Royal Oak, Worton Road. Time to enjoy a pint or two of London Pride. It's a rugby pub, crowded but not unbearably so. The pub is bang opposite the path through the water purification works that is 10/15 minutes walk to Twickenham North Stand. I watch on TV now but for 20 years we never missed a home international and I found this by far the best route as it avoids queues and uncomfortably crowded trains and uncomfortably crowded Twickenham pubs. If you think you might be interested in this modus operandi check out tube details on TFL journey planner.
I’ve sunk many a pre-match pint in the Royal Oak so that’s pretty sound advice from my point of view!
It was, indeed, excellent advice. Easy journey, great pub with very good company and London Pride at its best!

Thanks for the advice guys! :smt038
Glad it worked out well for you. You had a cracker of a match to watch with the right result. Only downside was that 4 of the 5 Tigers' (for 4 different reasons) were off the pitch by the end.