England v Wales

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: England v Wales

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:20 pm Comment from Ben Youngs that if the red card incident had happened the other way England would have wanted it to be looked at, and the neither he nor Manu had any problems with the call
what professional players and coaches say in public can often be different to their true feelings, I would be interested to see if that's the case here
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:37 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:20 pm Comment from Ben Youngs that if the red card incident had happened the other way England would have wanted it to be looked at, and the neither he nor Manu had any problems with the call
what professional players and coaches say in public can often be different to their true feelings, I would be interested to see if that's the case here
When I last looked I believe Eddie Jones is a coach and he stated that he did not think it was a red card. So it is reasonable to believe they are telling the truth here and not lying. But if you wish to believe they exact opposite...
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

MCC1964 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:12 pm
When I last looked I believe Eddie Jones is a coach and he stated that he did not think it was a red card. So it is reasonable to believe they are telling the truth here and not lying. But if you wish to believe they exact opposite...
didn't accuse anyone of anything stop clutching your pearls, I have simply known of coaches in all sports that will publicly say one thing but actually believe something else, like a manager saying in interviews that his team played well but in private tearing them apart for being pathetic in their application of game plans.

Players do the same thing, they say what the media person tells them to in most case, unless you get them before they have gotten back to the changing room
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:17 pm

didn't accuse anyone of anything stop clutching your pearls, I have simply known of coaches in all sports that will publicly say one thing but actually believe something else, like a manager saying in interviews that his team played well but in private tearing them apart for being pathetic in their application of game plans.

Players do the same thing, they say what the media person tells them to in most case, unless you get them before they have gotten back to the changing room
Well, if you say so. I bow to your clear vast experience. All I’m saying is that the head coach of England believed it was not a red card and two of his players didn’t. Who is telling the truth?
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:54 pm
Longshanks wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:23 am
sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:07 am

Sadly harshness or indeed any notion of fairness is seldom at the centre of any disciplinary hearing decision making and so I fear a long ban but desperately hope I am badly wrong. We need Manu back not keeping OTY company on the sidelines.
I share your fear. Disciplinary panels seem to see themselves as an extension of the matchday officials rather than being in any way independent. I expect the 6N panel to endorse the on-field decision and to add a hefty ban - there will be some mitigation (despite what O'Keeffe stated at the time) but Manu's record will likely more than wipe that out. I don't think it would be a fair outcome but I have a horrible feeling Manu won't be available again to Tigers this season.
I too share your concern Lambshanks that Manu will be banned for a long time and it is Tigers who suffer and not England yet again..Yes the tackle on May should have been looked at and too the head to head on Manu that cut his eye & head.
But can anyone please explain why the neck tackle on Ben Youngs by Wales hooker was not referred to the TMO and was wiped off as England scored - the fact still remains it was a dangerous neck tackle and should have been carded after all the warnings in the game particularly to England. Why ?? :smt017
I've just been moaning about this very thing watching Scotland/France! French number 3 rightly sent off for a punch but Scottish player who flew in to spark it all off (Ritchie???) completely gets forgotten about.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

MCC1964 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:21 pm

Well, if you say so. I bow to your clear vast experience. All I’m saying is that the head coach of England believed it was not a red card and two of his players didn’t. Who is telling the truth?
2 players who have a vested interest in Manu appearing contrite, apologetic and getting as short a ban as possible, I wonder what reason they could have for saying that in public?

I hate to break the news to you but media managers even tell players what to tweet out after a game, most players just copy and paste the test they get into their twitter app
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:30 pm

2 players who have a vested interest in Manu appearing contrite, apologetic and getting as short a ban as possible, I wonder what reason they could have for saying that in public?

I hate to break the news to you but media managers even tell players what to tweet out after a game, most players just copy and paste the test they get into their twitter app
Somebody get the Baby Rhino a microphone and we'll find out what they really think!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:58 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:30 pm

Somebody get the Baby Rhino a microphone and we'll find out what they really think!
he is an exception, pitch side interviews also tend to be less diplomatic as players have yet that have the debrief and be told the party line
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

didn't accuse anyone of anything stop clutching your pearls, ...
Quite right!

Let's leave that sort of thing to Mad Joe Marler/
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Jacko27 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:30 pm :smt050
strawclearer wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:29 am
Robespierre wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:57 pm

I’ve sunk many a pre-match pint in the Royal Oak so that’s pretty sound advice from my point of view!
It was, indeed, excellent advice. Easy journey, great pub with very good company and London Pride at its best!

Thanks for the advice guys! :smt038
Glad it worked out well for you. You had a cracker of a match to watch with the right result. Only downside was that 4 of the 5 Tigers' (for 4 different reasons) were off the pitch by the end.
Yes - Tigers notched up a yellow, a red, a try, a penalty, an HIA and a MotM!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:31 pm
Jacko27 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:30 pm :smt050
strawclearer wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:29 am

It was, indeed, excellent advice. Easy journey, great pub with very good company and London Pride at its best!

Thanks for the advice guys! :smt038
Glad it worked out well for you. You had a cracker of a match to watch with the right result. Only downside was that 4 of the 5 Tigers' (for 4 different reasons) were off the pitch by the end.
Yes - Tigers notched up a yellow, a red, a try, a penalty, an HIA and a MotM!
Ah is that a Tigers "Grand Slam?" Or was Manu's tackle the Grand Slam! Yet Marler thinks AWJ's tackle is a little cocky! :smt043
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Coming from a land where 'bag snatching' is normal practice, AWJ is more than hypocritical.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Squidge Rugby is loosing it a bit too much on Twitter, true he has a point I quit colts because the senior players were too concerned about the off-the-field-antics rather than concentrating on the game on the pitch, however to say the incident should be referred to the police is over the top in my opinion.

However Marler could get a lengthy ban for it if they believe its at the top end.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:40 pm Caucasian player tackles Pacific Island player in the head - penalty only.

Pacific Island player tackles Caucasian player in the head - red card.

Referee is from a country with a history of racism against Pacific Islanders and Maori.

Is the inconsistency down to the stereotype that Pacific Islanders are all aggressive and violent, therefore Manu's tackle must have been much worse? Perhaps a bit of subconscious bias from the Kiwi referee...
So by stereotyping any South African as racist you then imply that the the ref is racially stereotyping players? What is your logic? Shame the moderators on here have other agendas otherwise your post would be simply deleted for being racist in itself.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

According to experts on twitter the Ref got Manu's red card 100% correct and had no choice but to do so. The reason being that Manu did not lead with his arms and it was therefore a shoulder charge and he made contact with the head.

Apparently there is no mitigation for a shoulder charge unlike if he had lead with his arms in which case it would have been am attempted tackle for which mitigation applies.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity