England v Wales

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: England v Wales

Post by Mark62 »

I hope I’m not looking at this with tiger colour glasses but that red for Manu was a disgrace.
First contact was with the shoulder North was on one knee, it was maybe a yellow for lack of a wrapped arms, but as previous posters have said it was Manu so it’s a red.
Hopefully the hearing committee will be sensible, and he hasn’t been daft for a while so he will get 3 weeks, and next time Tigers need him is likely to be Exeter
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The really frustrating thing is none of the replays showed any contact with North's head.
All Manu did was place himself between North and the try line. That bit is entirely legal.
North is tackled and falls into Manu. They collide. Manu has his arms out at around waist high in anticipation of tacking North but he is beaten to the tackle so North falls into him.

The camera shots show North's head and Manu's shoulder at the same level about 4 feet off the ground but at no point do they actually show contact between Man's arm and North's head.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I thought that there was perhaps a glancing blow with the shoulder onto the head of a tackled/falling player.
Just one of those unfortunate rugby incidents.
Not a red card for me given the mitigating circumstances.
If it is then there are possibly at least fifty rucks with head blows received that seriously need looking at by the citing officer in that one game alone.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I'm getting really fed up now with players getting sent off if they don't make a text book tackle when the player they are going to tackle falls or ducks in front of them. So tackler aims mid body and a split second later the player's head is 2 feet lower than it was and that's the fault of the tackler? Meanwhile I regularly see players flying into rucks off their feet. Rugby needs to get back to giving reds for dangerous play with intent not for Rugby incidents. :smt009
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Guys, that was a clear red. He went into it with no intention to wrap arms, there was no sudden or unexpected downward movement (he was being tackled and going down long before Manu arrived and it was a consistent downward movement), he led with the shoulder and connected with the head / neck area. Straight red, no issues.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

the ref was desperate for the Welsh to score the whole period of play stemmed from the Welsh 7 lifting Sinkler's legs, as he was tackling another player, above the horizontal and dumping him on the ground, Sinkler was then pinged for not rolling away.

Constant blocking lines obstructing England's defenders illegally ignored yet Genge got sin-binned for next to nothing.

Then that disgrace of a decision to award a red card.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I wonder if Marler will be sanctioned for tweaking Alun Wyn Jones' wedding tackle?
Semper in excretia
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

AW Jones seemed to be enjoying it.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

RichieB wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:20 pm AW Jones seemed to be enjoying it.
Gareth Thomas' quip just before the restart was brilliant
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:21 pm
Indeed it was :smt044
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

fentiger wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:29 pm
Come in, let us in on it....
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

MCC1964 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:31 pm
fentiger wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:29 pm

Come in, let us in on it....
"It never would have happened in my day, but if it had I never would have retired"
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:50 pm the ref was desperate for the Welsh to score the whole period of play stemmed from the Welsh 7 lifting Sinkler's legs, as he was tackling another player, above the horizontal and dumping him on the ground, Sinkler was then pinged for not rolling away.

Constant blocking lines obstructing England's defenders illegally ignored yet Genge got sin-binned for next to nothing.

Then that disgrace of a decision to award a red card.
Exactly but what do you expect from someone named O'Keeffe? Clearly had Celtic sympathies even if he was born in Kiwiland.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

The expression of innocence on Joe Marler's face and AWJ's apparent indifference in an otherwise red-blooded match was a moment of true comedy. On the subject of Manu's red, the process seemed to me to be driven by the South African TMO's almost spoken desire for a full red. Harsh and unfair decision for me. Anyway the outcome was that for the last 8 minutes of the match, 4 of the 5 Tigers' players were off the pitch for 4 different reasons! But overall I thought it was a cracker of a match: uncompromisingly tough and plenty of skill. And the right result even though Wales were flattered by the closeness of the score.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:08 pm I wonder if Marler will be sanctioned for tweaking Alun Wyn Jones' wedding tackle?
Goode not happy on twitter about it. Minimum sanction could be as high as 12 weeks