Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Sarries vs Leicester - Teams Up

Post by Longshanks »

MCC1964 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:52 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:13 pm Typical Spencer has his best game in a Tigers shirt when he’s off to Bath. :smt010
Just like Freddie Burns then. Never played better than after it was announced he was leaving.
Coincidence or an interesting insight into player psychology? I tend to think it has to do with a clearing of the mind when the player is free from the pressure of management expectation.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

MCC1964 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:52 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:13 pm Typical Spencer has his best game in a Tigers shirt when he’s off to Bath. :smt010
Just like Freddie Burns then. Never played better than after it was announced he was leaving.
Disagree totally.
jaguar
Tiger Cub

Post by jaguar »

Disagree about his best game ,Spencer has never had a bad game in a Tigers shirt ,yes he was outstanding at the weekend I feel he will be missed here.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:55 am
kend wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:48 am I think you can be reasonably sure that Borthwick will have asked himself the question 'can I work within the management structure at Tigers?' before accepting the job. After all, he's been working with Eddie Jones for some while......
The difference: Eddie Jones is a highly successful, experienced coach who will command respect because his record backs him up.

Geordie has no such record. He has had precious little success as a coach.

Have you ever been in the position at work where somebody has clearly been promoted beyond their ability? How did that go? Did that person command respect? Or did their team become strained because the direct reports were demonstrably more capable than the boss?
But that isn't the case with Borthwick and Murphy. Murphy isn't being promoted ahead of him, SB is joining the team fully aware of the future structure and the people in it. He will presumably have negotiated (on the basis you always negotiate on the way in rather then when in place) whatever clauses he needs to be comfortable in the position.

Tigers are taking a risk. Neither Borthwick nor Murphy have experience in their respective roles. It will certainly be interesting.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Let's just give the new set up a chance. If it doesn't work out as we hope there'll be lots of opportunities for people to say 'I told you so'.

As for Spencer, yes he is good but players move on in today's game. It's just a fact of life, we can't keep them all.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!