Were Exeter robbed?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Were Exeter robbed?

Post by Chobbsy »

Having watched the game, that referee was going to play on until Quins scored the winner even if they had to play all night. If it wasn't Rob Baxter we would be hearing a lot more about the refing
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: Were Exeter robbed?

Post by kk20gb30 »

Rob Baxter took this one very well...
Apparently Christophe Ridley (referee) has privately apologised to to the Exeter DoR over the decision - which was to say the very least , open to interpretation.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:58 am Rob Baxter took this one very well...
Apparently Christophe Ridley (referee) has privately apologised to to the Exeter DoR over the decision - which was to say the very least , open to interpretation.
Wayne Barnes prior to the Bath game yesterday actually said it was wrong, not open to interpretation
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

I'd say no, Quins denied by a glaring mistake by Ridley who had a great game otherwise. Baxter graciously accepted the apology and stated that they have to look at themselves as well as to why they put themselves in that position in the first place. A sensible reaction.
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

I thought the ref was pretty hard on Saints too, allowing Sarries an undeserved win.

Whilst I’m pleased to see some new younger refs getting some outings, I am concerned about the inconsistencies amongst refs, and also, that these newer refs aren’t quite up to it yet.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Maidman wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:47 am I thought the ref was pretty hard on Saints too, allowing Sarries an undeserved win.

Whilst I’m pleased to see some new younger refs getting some outings, I am concerned about the inconsistencies amongst refs, and also, that these newer refs aren’t quite up to it yet.
Wasn't Carley the ref at Saints? Hardly a new ref!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Maidman wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:47 am I thought the ref was pretty hard on Saints too, allowing Sarries an undeserved win.

[/
quote]

Refs are like players in the respect that the only way they can (potentially) improve is with meaningful game time.Inconsistency, I believe a separate issue and will remain in time honored fashion along with subjectivity...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Interesting to hear Barnes' comments about the Quins v Chiefs game. From what I saw (on TV) on Friday night, Gloucester conceded about 5 penalties in a row in the "red zone" .....they got a warning and then Sale scored, which often gets the referee out of making a decision. Then in the second half, Sale were carded pretty quickly after a number of penalties in the same area. There is no consistency.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=DingDong post_id=737503 time=1583148878 user_id=15639]
I'd say no, Quins denied by a glaring mistake by Ridley who had a great game otherwise. Baxter graciously accepted the apology and stated that they have to look at themselves as well as to why they put themselves in that position in the first place. A sensible reaction.
[/quote]

Ridley made two glaring mistakes. Whilst these may have led to an interpretation of 'natural justice', two wrongs do not make a right!
I do agree with your thoughts about Rob Baxter, and his reaction.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

I think Rob Baxter probably took the view that his side had just been saved by a premature whistle, denying advantage and the try that would have been scored to win the game in overtime. Ben Kay commented that the Penalty Try was an attempt by the Referee to make up for that earlier mistake, a view Wayne Barnes seemed to endorse post Bath-Bristol.

Barnes also made the wider the point that Referees are human and so of course make mistakes; the problem with that notion is that there are supposed to be 4 humans and a TV truck full of technology contributing to good decisions these days. Now, it might be difficult for officials 2 to 4 to contradict Wayne Barnes on the pitch in full flow, but why couldn't an inexperienced Referee like Christophe Ridley be better supported by colleagues?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The decision to give a penalty try is made in a split moment. The TMO can only contribute in the event of foul play or if there was anything where the try should not have been awarded (Touch, forward pass, offside etc). Assistant Referees would not overrule the ref.
He has admitted that he got it wrong and has apologised to Rob Baxter. More is often learnt from mistakes and Barnes rates Christophe and expects to see him at International level in the future.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Only seen the highlights and it was such a terrible decision.
I wish refs would just stick to applying the laws and stop trying to manage the game as they see fit.
They are the architects of their own downfall.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Very poor decision by the ref, but the right result, based on the game as a whole.

Ref panicked after failing to allow advantage from an earlier scrum, thus denying a walk in try. Thereafter, all his scrum decisions went against Exeter, right or wrong.

Baxter showed real class in his post match interview.
Valhalla I am coming!