Wasps in massive trouble?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Wasps in massive trouble?

Post by Scott1 »

Just caught a post elsewhere which read that they are in serious debt and they've already burnt through the CVC money. Anyone heard anything?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Wasps in massive trouble?

Post by fentiger »

Nothing more than hearsay about the amount but I heard £35m in debt and no one willing to step in!
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Have a look at the thread titled “wasps financials” for plenty of details. An accountant friend of mine, a life long Coventry rugby supporter, had a look at their figures for me. Basically, at the time of that report, if they sold everything and paid their debts they’re still £7 million in debt. That cheered us both up no end.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Might be in trouble fiscally but since Dai Young stood down they have had three straight wins and scored over 100 points including some 18 tries. Poor side or poor coaching ????
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:16 am Might be in trouble fiscally but since Dai Young stood down they have had three straight wins and scored over 100 points including some 18 tries. Poor side or poor coaching ????
I don't think that we saw the complete Wasps minus Fekitoa at Welford Road.
When we played them I thought that they did look creative but just lacked that composure to finish on the day.
When you invest that much in one player then you will miss it when it isn't around.
Last edited by BFG on Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I wonder if they will be forced into letting go of some of their players this summer to try and balance the books a little?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:16 am Might be in trouble fiscally but since Dai Young stood down they have had three straight wins and scored over 100 points including some 18 tries. Poor side or poor coaching ????
To paraphrase what I've said elsewhere, his teams have pretty much always been less than the sum of their parts, right from his start at Cardiff before the Welsh regions were created.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

I suspect that Jimmy Gopperth returning from injury is nearer the mark. I know one man doesn’t make a team, but he gets them ticking.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

This is worth a read:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport ... 9-17208784

Clearly without the money man they would be in the deep dodo but it seems they are not in imminent danger of going under.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!