Cockers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cockers

Post by wellstiger »

Edinburgh 14-6 Cardiff Blues: Hosts extend lead at top.

To all the knockers of Cockers.
If only we had given him the support and funding that has been wasted since his departure.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cockers

Post by Longshanks »

Wasn't it lack of support from (senior) players that contributed most to his exit?
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Seriously! How long has it been now....
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

ads wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:35 pm Seriously! How long has it been now....
A long way ............down
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

wellstiger wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:52 pm
ads wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:35 pm Seriously! How long has it been now....
A long way ............down
I said at the time of his removal that I feared it was his sheer force of will that was holding the whole thing together, our unmitigated plummet since he left suggests this fear was founded.

I sincerely wish the man all the best, to the point of cheering on Embrah while living and working walking distance from the Scotstoun ground. He was done significant wrong by the club; the board, a cabal of "senior players" and a subsection of the crowd and he's answered in the classiest of ways; turning round a Toulon season that was getting badly out of control under the supervision of M. Ford (I wonder what ever happened to him) and then taking Edinburgh from perennial joke to Pro14 contenders...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Just wish some of the RC fans would actually look at what was going on, he was part of the problem, getting the sack has almost certainly been a part of the upward curve.
His departure was correct, but it's what went sometime before that was the start of the downward trend.
What we haven't replaced is his forward coaching.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:06 pm Just wish some of the RC fans would actually look at what was going on, he was part of the problem, getting the sack has almost certainly been a part of the upward curve.
His departure was correct, but it's what went sometime before that was the start of the downward trend.
Just to clarify: what is the upward curve that you allude to? Genuine question: I have no axe to grind
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

How many top players left because of him? How much talent from the academy was lost?
The club went backwards under him. I rejoiced from the hill tops when he went.
A life long Tiger
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Smudge wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:13 pm How many top players left because of him? How much talent from the academy was lost?
The club went backwards under him. I rejoiced from the hill tops when he went.
Did they go because of him or because Ged Glynn was out spending the cap money we needed in order to keep them elsewhere?
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Murphy is a massive part of our "problem" but instead of sacking him with a record that does not hold a candle to Cockers he gets promoted. I would take Cockers back in a heartbeat over Murphy. It will never happen because the cabal of players and board members that stabbed him in the back simply worship the ground Murphy walks on.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:06 pm Just wish some of the RC fans would actually look at what was going on, he was part of the problem, getting the sack has almost certainly been a part of the upward curve.
The facts do not lie, since Cockers was sacked we have had the worst seasons ever in our history :smt018
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Until we get to the point where Sapajo’s statement is factually wrong because we get a system that is working better these facts speak for themselves. Cockers worse place is better than we have been in since. Most of us do not know what goes on day to day in the club and only judge from the scores in games. That is the point of the club and the team. I agree that we have seen good players leave and academy players who were not retained have done well elsewhere. May be some of them needed a change of scene to meet their potential. A few have weaknesses too, such as Lewingtons defence, if the stars quoted are correct. The point regarding Mike Ford is interesting. I do not see much attacking going on and Bath under him were a one trick pony, whos trick lasted a year. Edinburgh performance does give food for thought But a lot of water will need to pass under the bridge over the Soar before Cockers could come back and do anything at Tigers like he has done at Edinburgh.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Richard Cockerill didn’t get rid of players but, rightly, would never guarantee player’s fist team rugby!
Fact: Waldron, rightly left, as did Twelvetrees and quite a few others due to us not being able to match others clubs salary offers.
He won’t be coming back but I now keep an eye on results wherever he goes and no matter what anyone thinks the facts show he is a damned good coach: Toulon were transformed and against all odds made the end of season final and Edinburgh, playing a style of great determination and at times attacking flair are top of their league.
The Challenge Cup semi could be Tigers V Edinburgh! Some match that could be.
Finally as Cockerill masterminded the win v Saints in The Premiership Final he will always be a “Great Tiger” to me.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Cockers is a great head coach. That cannot be argued with. He showed that with us, with Toulon and now with Edinburgh.

The problems started because he wasn't our head coach. He was given the DOR job with none of the vision to make that happen. Cockers is the perfect bloke to have in charge of the side to make sure you win on Saturday. He's not the guy that plans months and years in advance. Instead of promoting Cockers and MOC to DOR and HC we should have been finding someone capable of guiding the club long term as the DOR who could leave the week to week stuff to Cockers. Maybe then we wouldn't have seen our academy fall apart and the squad quality steadily decline.

The issue we have currently is the reverse. Murphy appears to have the vision of where the club needs to go and the development pathways for the academy players to the first team looks good. The recruitment is back in areas it should be with more cap spent on forwards. What Murphy can't do is the week to week stuff he's not a head coach and the club should not have allowed him to continue so long into the role. Hopefully now Borthwick is in Murphy can be removed from the next Saturday thinking and we can reshape the coaching staff and playing style.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

L Smith wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:11 pm
Just to clarify: what is the upward curve that you allude to? Genuine question: I have no axe to grind
The upward curve was in RC's career not Tigers.
sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:36 pm
The facts do not lie, since Cockers was sacked we have had the worst seasons ever in our history :smt018
Our demise was coming, in some ways it was better coming sooner.

RC got promoted too high at Tigers & when Mauger was brought in some clear guidelines should of been drawn by the board.
Our fall started under RC & MOC as a pair, some of our back play was embarrassing & its this period where the throughput of players from the academy fell apart, there were some very strange & wrong selections & preferences made, they were ignored by many as we won games, but the writing was on the walls.
To win is not as important as playing with style!