Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Worcester

Post by sam16111986 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:12 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:59 pm Anything positive to report please?
It’s a win
Defence was good as well. I thought in his brief cameo off the bench Thomas looked pretty composed and offered a couple of angles for our 10/12 to work with. Worth though solid looked like a utility back rather than a natural 13. Our reserve front row really put Worcester's replacements to the sword in scrum and rolling maul.
jgriffin wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:09 pm So we are not renewing McPhillips contract?
I'd imagine not. He was steady but nothing more. No real creation in attack and Eastmond moved to first receiver when we wanted to run any backs moves as he seemed to be able to take the ball closer to the line.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

It’s a win
Both teams pretty poor but at least Tigers won. However I felt it was similar to the Wasps game in that the opposition gifted Tigers the try. Didn't see anything to change my view that Murphs should go. I hope Borthwick is going to source a new backs coach pdq that will try something apart from 1 yard crash ball for a few phases then hoof it. :smt015
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:55 pm A small Remy tonight!

But it seems we still lack a little something?
You disappoint me, Dai! Only a small Rémy! Empty the bottle, man and celebrate a great victory!
Semper in excretia
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks Sam!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:06 pm Was expecting a bonus point win! I should have known better. :smt015
We’ve lost the last 3 against them, expecting the BP was far more likely to end in disappointment than not.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Impressed by McPhillips - came on for Reid early doors. Not faultless, but nevertheless he showed a lot of promise.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

G.K wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:18 pm
It’s a win
Both teams pretty poor but at least Tigers won. However I felt it was similar to the Wasps game in that the opposition gifted Tigers the try. Didn't see anything to change my view that Murphs should go. I hope Borthwick is going to source a new backs coach pdq that will try something apart from 1 yard crash ball for a few phases then hoof it. :smt015
Murphy isn't the attack coach. Our most experienced coach is our attack coach. He took credit for the Bath attack which centred around giving the first receiver options on both shoulders and then in behind making the opposition defence struggle to put on any line speed. We've seen nothing close to that. Ford Snr has some questions to answer.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Dire dull game. Line out continues to fail, back line offers nothing in attack, kicking game and out of hand is pants and the mandatory static one out runners. Positive was that the bench forwards won us the game. If only we could clone Telusa as he offers the most excitement and effort in a Tigers shirt. Murphy has lost his marbles saying post match on BBRL how brilliant Ben White is and how good international scrum halfs now are in the same breath. He still defended the aimless kicking away of possesion saying how Sarries use it to great effect. Uhm we are not Sarries and our kicking game is light years away from theirs.
Last edited by sapajo on Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Ben White had a terrific game I thought.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Lineout poor, I thought Olowofela had got a second try but happy we have finally got one over the bogey team.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:43 pm Lineout poor, I thought Olowofela had got a second try but happy we have finally got one over the bogey team.
Just 10 more now :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

A win is a win, Olowofela with a quality finish and sounded like McPhillips played well at 10 and another good game for White at 9
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

If ring fencing brings more games like this (i.e. meaningless) then that can only be bad for rugby
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sapajo wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:21 pm Dire dull game. Line out continues to fail, back line offers nothing in attack, kicking game and out of hand is pants and the mandatory static one out runners. Positive was that the bench forwards won us the game. If only we could clone Telusa as he offers the most excitement and effort in a Tigers shirt. Murphy has lost his marbles saying post match on BBRL how brilliant Ben White is and how good international scrum halfs now are in the same breath. He still defended the aimless kicking away of possesion saying how Sarries use it to great effect. Uhm we are not Sarries and our kicking game is light years away from theirs.
Ben White was man of the match for me. His kicking was excellent, the grubber through for Owolfela's try was quick thinking and we'll weighted. His nudge in the second half nearly got us another try but for good Worcester cover defence.

McPhillips kicking wasn't great. Quite a few punts down the throat of the opposition winger and some long and incontestable down the middle. Put it up into the wind with some length and let the fullback follow it in the wind waiting to get smashed by the on rushing defence. I thought McPhillips would bring us more control in bad conditions, Ulster half backs are normally really good at that.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Indeed it was a glorious spectacle of elite rugby.
The skill levels were just overwhelming, and the tactics, just woah!
Well worth a free ticket. :smt023