Tigers vs Worcester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Worcester

Post by Smudge »

I was surprised to see Lavanini subbed for Joe Batley but the subs were good and well worth their salt. It takes some
bottle to put a lad on for an international with a small lead and only minutes to go so full mark to the coaches for doing so.
A life long Tiger
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Smudge wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:29 pm I was surprised to see Lavanini subbed for Joe Batley but the subs were good and well worth their salt. It takes some
bottle to put a lad on for an international with a small lead and only minutes to go so full mark to the coaches for doing so.
Wells took over the captaincy when Cole went off so that's probably why Lavanini was the one to go off
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Someone asked if anything had changed, I noticed during the warm up that they were practising the grubber kick through, they must have been watching England, and it worked! We tried it 2 or 3 times and it worked once, I believe its a much better option than an aimless punt, its more likely to secure a knock on than a kick in the air.
I thought McPhillips played very well and deserves to start at 10 over Reid or Hardwick. Thomas did well, Wuss sadly missed their 2nd rows when they went off, Leitagaga extra weight really boosted our scrum.
Sadly we did not prevent them getting a LBP, should we have taken the scrum? I think yes, we had a 3 point lead and only approx 3 mins to go, but I guess a guaranteed 3 point penalty was too much to decline, even though there was seconds left for the restart.
Poor game but 4 points, now only 1 point adrift.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

I've been thinking about the kicking after yesterday's game. It worked better only because of how poor Wuss were. Same kicks, but against Saints (I think it was) was suicide.
Same old line-out issues, not sure of our stats for the season but I'm guessing we must be one of the worst in the league. Not just this but it is when and where it goes wrong. Yesterday we lost the line out a couple of times on their 5 meter line. TPN's first throw when he came on (again) went haywire - someone previously suggesting he got the yips but surely not for an experienced Aussie international? I just wish they'd fix it.
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

Dull old game but a win is a win. The most frustrating part for me is the utter failure of the lineout. This is a recurring issue, and it does not matter who the hooker is. Yes it is better when OTY is playing but even then below par. It cannot be rocket science to sort this out, but nonetheless we to be incapable of doing it.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Having seen the TV highlights.Thought we were wrongly denied at least LEAST one of the two disallowed tries.
Under a different officiating team who knows.
This is the difference of the BP Wuss got and Tigers 10 in the table.
Positives
The new boys stood up well - defence was good for most parts.Played in poor condition and we got the monkey off our back.
( Sorry Pc brigade) Another win at WR
Negatives
Line out still as bad as ever- no clarity in attack Sarries up next.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Could not attend game as currently unwell. But from reports on here it seems it was ‘business as usual’ in many aspects of the game, and we scraped a win. Please correct me if this is wrong! Given the current ranking of both teams, a close contest was perhaps expected.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

It was as expected. Bottom of the table clash with both sides missing significant players. But a win is a win.
I'm not cynical just experienced
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Smudge wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:29 pm I was surprised to see Lavanini subbed for Joe Batley but the subs were good and well worth their salt. It takes some
Things looked to be getting a bit fractious so he may have been subbed to avoid him getting in bother.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

wellstiger wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:08 am Having seen the TV highlights.Thought we were wrongly denied at least LEAST one of the two disallowed tries.
Under a different officiating team who knows.
This is the difference of the BP Wuss got and Tigers 10 in the table.
Positives
The new boys stood up well - defence was good for most parts.Played in poor condition and we got the monkey off our back.
( Sorry Pc brigade) Another win at WR
Negatives
Line out still as bad as ever- no clarity in attack Sarries up next.
I too was puzzled at the Officials as it was announced as Referee Adam Leal with Clive Maxwell-Keys + Roy Maybank. But CMK although seen on the touch line with Geordan did not run the touch BUT I believed it was Welford Roads old "favourite " Wigglesworth with the flag and it was he who gave the on pitch decision of no try to Olowofella despite the tv showing him avoiding touch So could have CMK given it? Who knows but several feel that Referees are allocated in relation to table position or is it we seem to never have the rub? :smt009
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Olowofela grounded it on the corner flag basically, which initially I thought would be a try but I guess it’s not the same rule as it is with the goalposts.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

RichieB wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:35 pm TPN's first throw when he came on (again) went haywire - someone previously suggesting he got the yips but surely not for an experienced Aussie international? I just wish they'd fix it.
If he has got the yips then it's not something that a coach can necessarily sort out. It's about confidence. Especially as a pro sportsman/woman, you have all the eyes watching you from the stands and on TV, and you know you've struggled and you tighten up, you hang on to the ball for a touch too long or not long enough and it all goes to pot. The more that go wrong the worse it gets.

I've seen it with cricketers in club cricket, the famous Scott Boswell spell at Lord's for Leicestershire and there's plenty of others around too. It's more mental than technical but ridding the mind of negative thoughts in a stress fuelled, results driven environment like.professional sport is not easy at all!
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

markharbtiger wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:27 am Could not attend game as currently unwell. But from reports on here it seems it was ‘business as usual’ in many aspects of the game, and we scraped a win. Please correct me if this is wrong! Given the current ranking of both teams, a close contest was perhaps expected.
I hope you're wearing a face mask! Pesky corona had no ill effects when I was a kid.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Feel sorry for Olowofela, outrageous finish and 100% a try. Same happened last season in the exact same corner and it wasn’t given.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:21 am Feel sorry for Olowofela, outrageous finish and 100% a try. Same happened last season in the exact same corner and it wasn’t given.
Barnes later apologised and said it was a try for the finish he had been denied against Gloucester last season.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni