Tigers vs Worcester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Tigers vs Worcester

Post by daktari »

JP14 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:14 pm Olowofela grounded it on the corner flag basically, which initially I thought would be a try but I guess it’s not the same rule as it is with the goalposts.
I had to hunt to find the answer, its not very clear - essential if you ground it on the base of the flag its out of play...but say the ball was to hit the flag (not the base) and bounce back into the hands of player who then scored, thats ok.
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It’s a weird one to be honest Daktari
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I thought he grounded the ball beyond the flag. I don't think the corner flag counts as anything anymore other than as an indicator. I think it used to be "in touch" but that was changed a few years ago.

The problem was the ref called "no try" and the 4th official decided there wasn't sufficiently and obvious reason to overturn the call. Not sure the 4th official had his specs on! Likewise pulling back Vianu for us knocking on when it seemd that the ball was knocked back by a Worcester arm on the replay. They just concentrated on the direction th eball went rather than who it came off.

The clear and obvious designation is too black and white. There are times when the ref should say "probably" and the 4th official should say "probably" yes or no and the two discuss with the ref taking the final decision depending on who feels they are in the better place to call.

As for the assistant refs on Saturday! They & the ref seemed to ignore every offside and numerous high tackles by Worcester that killed our attack. Had we lost it would have seemed like sour grapes but we should have had 2 more tries and a number of penalties.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Is it me or do we seem to have had numerous poor decisions made against us this season despite being referred to the TMO .?
A2O
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:45 pm Is it me or do we seem to have had numerous poor decisions made against us this season despite being referred to the TMO .?
Careful, criticism of the officials is a capital offence on here! I do agree with your thoughts though, shall we share a guillotine? :smt003
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

We had plenty last season too. Actually I thought the ref last week better than many we have had. He was right about the Worth knock on that cancelled Veainu's try and in the case of Olowofela's " second" he was correct to check and I can see why he gave an on field decision of no try, the pictures did not provide a clear and obvious reason change that call so whatever he had called on field would have stood, shame superb finish by the improving Jordan.
There were many offsides not spotted as there are every week, these like forward passes seem to be ignored unless glaringly obvious or a try is scored immediately and this seems to apply to both teams. For me the rule is the rule and it should be applied.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:01 pm We had plenty last season too. Actually I thought the ref last week better than many we have had. He was right about the Worth knock on that cancelled Veainu's try and in the case of Olowofela's " second" he was correct to check and I can see why he gave an on field decision of no try, the pictures did not provide a clear and obvious reason change that call so whatever he had called on field would have stood, shame superb finish by the improving Jordan.
There were many offsides not spotted as there are every week, these like forward passes seem to be ignored unless glaringly obvious or a try is scored immediately and this seems to apply to both teams. For me the rule is the rule and it should be applied.
From where i was stood and watching the replays and highlights it looked like the ball came of a worcester hand before it go to Worth. there seemed to be a strong case for a Tigers penalty rather than a worcester scrum
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:13 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:01 pm We had plenty last season too. Actually I thought the ref last week better than many we have had. He was right about the Worth knock on that cancelled Veainu's try and in the case of Olowofela's " second" he was correct to check and I can see why he gave an on field decision of no try, the pictures did not provide a clear and obvious reason change that call so whatever he had called on field would have stood, shame superb finish by the improving Jordan.
From where i was stood and watching the replays and highlights it looked like the ball came of a worcester hand before it go to Worth. there seemed to be a strong case for a Tigers penalty rather than a worcester scrum
I also thought so, Gethin.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!