Tigers vs Worcester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Worcester

Post by chewbacca »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:59 pm Anything positive to report please?
It didn't rain and we got 4 points.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Being at the game TV thoroughly deserved his Man of The Match: kicked and chased well, took his disallowed( rightly) try very well, great dancing feet and was high tackled at least 3 times yet no moaning from him, brilliant cover tackles and runs onto the ball at speed. Holmes I felt was off form and his chasing, considering his speed wasn’t good enough.
Hardwick has to play. Rumour going round some parts of the ground was he’d had a bust up on the training field and was told he wouldn’t play for 3 weeks; not sure whether the rumour is true!!
Forwards were ok but very slow to clear out so poor White did very well with his kicking and passing.
Cole, not a captain as I personally didn’t see him do much to encourage those around him. Best to leave Coley to concentrate on being the very good prop he is.
Kyle Eastmond was excellent as he made countless tackles and was always encourage the other backs to get their defensive positioning right.

Olowefella took his try well and I thought he did amazingly to almost snatch another. At first, looking down that line I thought he hadn’t scored but the replays on the large screen then convinced me he had! Maybe his foot touched the line before he became airborne!
The ref, assistants and TMO not great today although the high tackle the ref did on the Worcester player was a highlight of the game!

Off to Sarries, but as they are put out a far stronger side today. Probably be similar next week so the Tigers’ team selected will really need to step up another gear or get a hammering similar to the Sale debacle.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Olowafella's foot definitely not in touch as his entire body was airborne. Main issue was whether the ball was put down legitimately in terms of downward pressure or even in the in-goal area. Sadly, the corner flag obscured the camera view slightly so I assume they had no conclusive proof to overturn the ref's on field decision of no try. As others have noted, generally he is good in attack, but yet again yesterday his opposite number just ran through him so his defence isn't yet as good as it needs to be.

Re Hardwick - everyone deserves a second chance, but after his horror show during the first half against Wasps, he needs to focus more on getting the basics right.

I wonder if Lavanin got subbed as he had lost it and was getting to yellow/red card territory?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

RichieB wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:32 amSadly, the corner flag obscured the camera view slightly so I assume they had no conclusive proof to overturn the ref's on field decision of no try.
That was the TMOs judgement, nothing conclusive to overturn the on field guess.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RichieB wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:32 am Olowafella's foot definitely not in touch as his entire body was airborne. Main issue was whether the ball was put down legitimately in terms of downward pressure or even in the in-goal area. Sadly, the corner flag obscured the camera view slightly so I assume they had no conclusive proof to overturn the ref's on field decision of no try. As others have noted, generally he is good in attack, but yet again yesterday his opposite number just ran through him so his defence isn't yet as good as it needs to be.

Re Hardwick - everyone deserves a second chance, but after his horror show during the first half against Wasps, he needs to focus more on getting the basics right.

I wonder if Lavanin got subbed as he had lost it and was getting to yellow/red card territory?
He hadn’t lost it, it was the replacement hooker Annett who lost it!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:51 am
RichieB wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:32 amSadly, the corner flag obscured the camera view slightly so I assume they had no conclusive proof to overturn the ref's on field decision of no try.
Presumably if the on-field decision had been "TRY" then it would not have been overturned by the TMO?
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Longshanks wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:52 am
WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:51 am
Presumably if the on-field decision had been "TRY" then it would not have been overturned by the TMO?
Yes according to Chris Edgerton on RL. It was funny hearing Chris trying to explain this to Bleddyn, RLs "senior rugby commentator", mind you I suspect Bleddyn is not the only one who struggles with this particular "rule" and I count myself in that!!
Soggypitch
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:12 am
RichieB wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:32 am Olowafella's foot definitely not in touch as his entire body was airborne. Main issue was whether the ball was put down legitimately in terms of downward pressure or even in the in-goal area. Sadly, the corner flag obscured the camera view slightly so I assume they had no conclusive proof to overturn the ref's on field decision of no try. As others have noted, generally he is good in attack, but yet again yesterday his opposite number just ran through him so his defence isn't yet as good as it needs to be.

He hadn’t lost it, it was the replacement hooker Annett who lost it!
There was also a bigger scuffle with Wells and Andrew Kitchener near the try line a few minutes earlier. Nothing wrong with your second rows getting involved. We had Batley on the bench offering plenty of weight made sense to add his fresh legs and give Lavanini a breather.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Taufua hooked at HT. Any word on injury etc?
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Now that my limbs have defrosted enough to type- awful game from both teams but a wins a win. We really need some better resources in the attack coaching department, we look scared to go forward whenever we manage to build any possession.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:33 am Now that my limbs have defrosted enough to type- awful game from both teams but a wins a win. We really need some better resources in the attack coaching department, we look scared to go forward whenever we manage to build any possession.
Did some one say Attack - is that Emily? :smt005
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

A quote on BBC post....

Warriors head coach Geordan Murphy afterwards confirmed the club's interest in signing Fiji winger Nemani Nadolo from Montpellier for next season.

I know I know its an error...................Or is it?
BG01

Post by BG01 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:48 am Taufua hooked at HT. Any word on injury etc?
Murphy said it was a hamstring injury and we wouldn't know till after the scan, but Taufua seemed in good spirits. Usually these things will mean at least a couple weeks out for a minor tear.
Never believe generalisations
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sapajo wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:21 pm Dire dull game. Line out continues to fail, back line offers nothing in attack, kicking game and out of hand is pants and the mandatory static one out runners. Positive was that the bench forwards won us the game. If only we could clone Telusa as he offers the most excitement and effort in a Tigers shirt. Murphy has lost his marbles saying post match on BBRL how brilliant Ben White is and how good international scrum halfs now are in the same breath. He still defended the aimless kicking away of possesion saying how Sarries use it to great effect. Uhm we are not Sarries and our kicking game is light years away from theirs.
This! :smt023
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

sapajo wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:21 pm Dire dull game. Line out continues to fail, back line offers nothing in attack, kicking game and out of hand is pants and the mandatory static one out runners. Positive was that the bench forwards won us the game. If only we could clone Telusa as he offers the most excitement and effort in a Tigers shirt. Murphy has lost his marbles saying post match on BBRL how brilliant Ben White is and how good international scrum halfs now are in the same breath. He still defended the aimless kicking away of possesion saying how Sarries use it to great effect. Uhm we are not Sarries and our kicking game is light years away from theirs.
Must have been listening to another interview...never heard the word brilliant used but good and upcoming scrum halves and how important they are in the international game.
With regards to kicking he commented on the Sarries pitch and how Sarries are the side that use the kick most of all teams.
Our backs lack a cutting edge as the half backs are not the best at reading and controlling the game. The loss of Reid early on did not help matters.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk