Is this a case of....

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Is this a case of....

Post by Chobbsy »

Is this a case of the donkey calling the rabbit big ears?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51550491
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Is this a case of....

Post by Longshanks »

I reckon this "statement" - whether concocted by Wyn Jones himself or team management - is aimed more directly at the Referee than the French. Mathew Carley is inexperienced at this level and this is an attempt to sow a seed of expectation in his head - a similar tactic with a top official, say Wayne Barnes, would be much more likely to backfire.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Pretty stupid comments that could backfire heavily in my view.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Sounds like he's :censored: himself if you ask me.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Frankly, I’m disappointed (not surprised) that the BBC consider this to be newsworthy. Is there any front row, at whatever level, that doesn’t try to get the upper hand, by fair means or foul? Matthew Carley has to be a more than competent referee to be selected for a big 6N game and I’ve no doubt he’ll be looking for shenanigans from both front rows.
Last edited by Robespierre on Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper in excretia
Flash

Post by Flash »

Props always look bewildered when a penalty is given against them so I very much doubt they ever do anything untoward.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Flash wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:20 pm Props always look bewildered when a penalty is given against them so I very much doubt they ever do anything untoward.
Ah yes! The “what me, ref?” facial expression, trying to look as innocent as a choirboy!
Semper in excretia
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Ha Ha, Welsh forwards, that's "the Pot calling the Kettle" if ever you heard it, one only has to look back over the years to see the goings on of the Welsh front row. :smt005
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Longshanks wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:50 pm I reckon this "statement" - whether concocted by Wyn Jones himself or team management - is aimed more directly at the Referee than the French. Mathew Carley is inexperienced at this level and this is an attempt to sow a seed of expectation in his head - a similar tactic with a top official, say Wayne Barnes, would be much more likely to backfire.
Matthew Carley is inexperienced at any level and with Karl Dickson on the touch line too after all the neck rolls, high tackles & off sides by Wasps last Saturday then it could be a field day for France based on incompetence. Unless Carley gets flattened and Wayne has to come on to Referee.. :smt034
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:54 pm
Longshanks wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:50 pm I reckon this "statement" - whether concocted by Wyn Jones himself or team management - is aimed more directly at the Referee than the French. Mathew Carley is inexperienced at this level and this is an attempt to sow a seed of expectation in his head - a similar tactic with a top official, say Wayne Barnes, would be much more likely to backfire.
Matthew Carley is inexperienced at any level and with Karl Dickson on the touch line too after all the neck rolls, high tackles & off sides by Wasps last Saturday then it could be a field day for France based on incompetence. Unless Carley gets flattened and Wayne has to come on to Referee.. :smt034
If Carley is "inexperienced at any level", as you say, then he'd be nowhere near a 6N match! He's been appointed on merit so give him a break!
However, rest assured that touch-judge Wayne Barnes will have a word in his ear if anything untowards happens.
Semper in excretia
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

...perhaps attempting to be a little too clever here .
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Everyone cheats in the scrum........... Don't they? It's a matter of what you can get away with.

The only folk who don't know what is going on are the refs.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Big Dai wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:58 pm Everyone cheats in the scrum........... Don't they? It's a matter of what you can get away with.

Excuse me.......and us backs as well 😂😂
As Good As It Gets
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Scuttle wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:08 pm
Big Dai wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:58 pm Everyone cheats in the scrum........... Don't they? It's a matter of what you can get away with.

Apologies. Every team cheats in the scrum. These days the backs are in the congratulatory party so the are complicit in deceit.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Big Dai wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:07 pm
Scuttle wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:08 pm

Apologies. Every team cheats in the scrum. These days the backs are in the congratulatory party so the are complicit in deceit.
No I am still not sure about that; they may all run in and clap the forwards on the back; whoop and holler and Remys all round. But they still have absolutely no idea what has gone on.
As Good As It Gets