Sale vs Leicester - 21st February 2020

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Sale vs Leicester - 21st February 2020

Post by BFG »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:43 pm In the space of 8 days, Sarries beat Sale beat Tigers beat Wasps beat Sarries. The one consistency is the home team won each time.
There is only one consistency in how they played out though.
Wasps came to Leicester and attacked, they were the more imaginative side but missed the chances and made mistakes, Leicester parked the bus and took advantage.
Sorries, well we all know what is going on there.
Tigers went up to Sale and parked the bus again and the Sale tanks blew holes in it.
There doesn't appear to be much playing development going on at Leicester, the bus appears to be parked until Borthwick arrives, who's main playing tactic being ex-Sorries and England could possibly be to try and park the bus!
manxleigh

Post by manxleigh »

tigerssteve wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:06 am
manxleigh wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:18 pm Do we have any backs moves we can execute other than through 3/4 sets of hands then kick it away or get turned over? Loops, wrap arounds - anyone remember them?
Is that something to do with knitting perhaps?
Looks like they have probably spent more time knitting than practising moves and line outs
keep dreaming and you'll keep wondering
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Obviously I will be at Welford Road and at Sarries but luckily I couldnt get to Sale last night.
I thought only a few players really seemed to care last night and the only rugby joy last night was Edinburgh’s win as I am a Richard Cockerill fan, always have been.
The worry for all of us is for 2 years under Murphy there has been no back to back performances and he panics instead of backing young talent; last week Hardwick made a couple of errors so is then taken off then not in the squad!
Reid is never going to be a reliable 10 as both his tackling and kicking aren’t Premiership standard. Hardwick can kick, can tackle and if allowed break the line but Murphy just doesn’t develop any players. Last night too, he leaves, with the game lost, TV on who we can ill afford getting injured; TV was still trying to conjure some magic and pride in the last 20 minutes but had no support.
As for Dan Cole: great player but never a captain,as was proved last night.
Sadly I don’t see Borthwick as the “Saviour “ whereas Taufua, when he came, said that his Head coach fancied a crack at The Premiership. A coach with a very good record.
We keep going along to support our beloved team but we all know, commentators know and even the usually optimist Bledwyn Jones has admitted, the passion, tactical nous and skill levels are awful. Borthwick needs a whole team of coaches to rectify all that is wrong.
What options are there?
Build the whole team around Genge, Ford and Taufua. Ford to be captain with Taufua as vice.
Instead of signing lots of well meaning, hard working players, eg, how many hookers have we got but only really play 2, sign very good quality players and if injury crisis happens sign players on loan.
And please, Geordan and Mike Ford, can we get the backs and forwards to run onto the pass not stand still when receiving it!!
Sorry: we could all go on and on!
Ps. Well done Scott Hamilton with his Hinckley team. Really putting together a great run of wins.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Embarrassing! Just a barrow load of ineptitude, to put it kindly.

Don't expect too much when Borthwick arrives. Next season will be the yardstick with which he should be judged, but I can't see us improving massively this season. I only hope he will bring in a couple of quality coaches.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

where was Hardwick, he wasn't mentioned as being injured? what about Worth, Thomas, Forsyth, Viljoen or Hughes? Why the hell are we having a 6 2 split on the bench when we have a kid making his debut at 9 and the reserve 9 is also a kid?

there was an explanation for White and Taufua, Kalamafoni was never going to play with a 6 day turn around
Last edited by Jimmy Skitz on Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:07 pm Sadly I don’t see Borthwick as the “Saviour “ whereas Taufua, when he came, said that his Head coach fancied a crack at The Premiership. A coach with a very good record.
We keep going along to support our beloved team but we all know, commentators know and even the usually optimist Bledwyn Jones has admitted, the passion, tactical nous and skill levels are awful. Borthwick needs a whole team of coaches to rectify all that is wrong.
What options are there?
Build the whole team around Genge, Ford and Taufua.
If it's any consolation, Ellis told me (unprompted) a couple of months back that the best coach he's ever played under - is Steve Borthwick
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:35 pm where was Hardwick, he wasn't mentioned as being injured? what about Worth, Thomas, Forsyth, Viljoen or Hughes? Why the hell are we having a 6 2 split on the bench when we have a kid making his debut at 9 and the reserve 9 is also a kid?

there was an explanation for White and Taufua, Kalamafoni was never going to play with a 6 day turn around
Forysth's loan is over. Hughes wasn't great Vs Wasps and Owolfela had recovered so we went with Owolfela. Viljoen has shown in form since he joined so he's unlikely to get picked. Worth was an odd one, in hindsight he'd have been a better bet on the bench but hindsight is 20/20. With Taute on our defence held firm and it looked like an arm wrestle where the forwards were going to have to run themselves into the floor in the poor conditions which meant it made sense to have more forwards to replenish the pack.

All our 9s are kids outside of Ben. If you don't give them the chance how will the develop? Outside of the two charged down box kicks I thought JVP did alright. For an 18 year old making his debut in awful conditions it showed a lot of promise. We've seen White develop well over the last couple of seasons, Simmons has previously looked good before the bad luck with injuries and now JVP is showing promise. Why sign an experienced 9 for the short term when you've got these young lads queuing up to get a game.

Murphy and his coaches are struggling to get it to work on the pitch but often the right ideas are there. Up north on a horrible night makes sense to reinforce the forwards and bring in your most experienced 10 option and have on the bench a flyhalf used to playing in Belfast. We need someone to get the on field details right. The players were committed throughout last night but something is very much not working, attack coach certainly should be feeling the pressure.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I’m not criticising playing a young 9, I like that I’m talking the lack of depth on the bench for back cover our sub backs were another young 9 and a player we sent out on loan as he wasn’t needed!

Hughes could have been on the bench if you wanted to start Olowofela, it’s just not smart use of squad to go in with that balance.

His obsession with size in the back row is not helping either
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

baz1664 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:06 am The Tigers are rotten to the core, a BOD who put the club up for sale adding huge waves of uncertainty and don’t find a suitable buyer, crack on with the comical hotel and car park plans when you have a stand that is old and creaking and not fit for purpose.

They have persisted in backing GM who is massively out of his depth and promote him to DOR, just a joke. A group of coaches with there own egos and agendas that have all been failures elsewhere, accept for Stanko!!

No leaders or structure on the pitch.

Awful recruitment for how many seasons now, we sign the wash outs, injured and pay cheque hunters, where’s the young hungry talent who will actually give a about the tigers shirt and history.

I hope SB can add his stamp to this joke of a club, it has completely fallen from grace and is the laughing stock of the premiership!!

Relegation is probably what is required but sadly that won’t be happening!!
Its interesting that you defend Stanko, but Bateman played in Stanko's position, Cole was poor, TPN was poor, all are front rowers and coached by Stanko. This is just an observation based on last nights game and therefore why I question you!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:53 pm Murphy and his coaches are struggling to get it to work on the pitch but often the right ideas are there. Up north on a horrible night makes sense to reinforce the forwards and bring in your most experienced 10 option and have on the bench a flyhalf used to playing in Belfast. We need someone to get the on field details right. The players were committed throughout last night but something is very much not working, attack coach certainly should be feeling the pressure.
Sadly, we have a very good defence coach - as the attack coach. I'm hoping our current defence coach is on borrowed time - he has been for some time, actually - and that Ford may move to his more suitable role.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:09 pm I’m not criticising playing a young 9, I like that I’m talking the lack of depth on the bench for back cover our sub backs were another young 9 and a player we sent out on loan as he wasn’t needed!

Hughes could have been on the bench if you wanted to start Olowofela, it’s just not smart use of squad to go in with that balance.

Why would you want Hughes on the bench? He covers one position. If you were adding anyone else to the bench it would have been Worth as he covers more positions and is good under the high ball.

Get used to a young 9 on the bench it's what we're likely to see until we reach the point where we stop calling White and Simmons young.

Backrow played well. A more "balanced" backrow then we have named previously with three players in their preferred positions. The tendency to out Wells on as a flanker off the bench has had mixed results and it wasn't what I'd have chosen to do given how Reffell was playing last night.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

wellstiger wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:33 am Some one has said it P45's
If I am not up to the role for which I am employed. I either go into remedial training or shown the door.
Why are professional sports persons across all sports treated as "untouchables" We can all have an off day. When the off days become the norm - then something is wrong. At present we are saying its down to coaching - The internationals are away. The ref was poor. Recruitment and retention has been poor. We are awaiting the Saviour SB.

NO NO NO Some one say it as it is - YOU HAVE TO GO - YOUR NOT GOOD ENOUGH. :smt013 :smt013
OK, say you get your wish and we sack all the coaches on Monday, then what? Who runs the sessions on Tuesday at Oval Park in preparation for Worcester? I'm as frustrated as you by the performance we're currently being subjected to and like you I'm sure coaching is a big part of the cause but the next Head Coach has been identified, and is one who many on here wanted, now we can only wait to see what he will do with the playing and the wider coaching staff...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Crofty wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:12 pm
wellstiger wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:33 am Some one has said it P45's
If I am not up to the role for which I am employed. I either go into remedial training or shown the door.
Why are professional sports persons across all sports treated as "untouchables" We can all have an off day. When the off days become the norm - then something is wrong. At present we are saying its down to coaching - The internationals are away. The ref was poor. Recruitment and retention has been poor. We are awaiting the Saviour SB.

NO NO NO Some one say it as it is - YOU HAVE TO GO - YOUR NOT GOOD ENOUGH. :smt013 :smt013
OK, say you get your wish and we sack all the coaches on Monday, then what? Who runs the sessions on Tuesday at Oval Park in preparation for Worcester? I'm as frustrated as you by the performance we're currently being subjected to and like you I'm sure coaching is a big part of the cause but the next Head Coach has been identified, and is one who many on here wanted, now we can only wait to see what he will do with the playing and the wider coaching staff...
I agree. Sacking ‘coaches’ now is futile. However, the manner in which the current ‘team’ was put together is illustrative of why Murphy shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near the future coaching set up. I’ve written in before, but to announce that Phil Blake was appointed because “he is available, lives locally and knows the club” hardly indicated a rigorous recruitment process. He went on the describe the inexperienced Brett Deacon on his appointment as “a world class coach”. Really?

Was anyone, anyone, anyone, in any doubt Mike Ford would be given a job, if he hung around long enough. And then of course there was Murphy’s own ‘last man standing’ appointment.

You’d really would staff a burger van with more professionalism. The recruitment of a competent coaching team is of far more importance than player recruitment, and it needs to be in place for the summer. Nothing could be worse than the current set up.
Andy W

Post by Andy W »

Hopefully Geordan gets another well-earned promotion soon. The further he gets away from the playing side of things the better.

That said, and a little cold water for those pinning their hopes on Borthwick, Murphy has stated that he (GF) will still be selecting the team (I mean, why wouldn't he, right?!)

Hard times.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:06 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:09 pm I’m not criticising playing a young 9, I like that I’m talking the lack of depth on the bench for back cover our sub backs were another young 9 and a player we sent out on loan as he wasn’t needed!

Why would you want Hughes on the bench? He covers one position. If you were adding anyone else to the bench it would have been Worth as he covers more positions and is good under the high ball.

Get used to a young 9 on the bench it's what we're likely to see until we reach the point where we stop calling White and Simmons young.

Backrow played well. A more "balanced" backrow then we have named previously with three players in their preferred positions. The tendency to out Wells on as a flanker off the bench has had mixed results and it wasn't what I'd have chosen to do given how Reffell was playing last night.
Hughes may only cover one position but he was just an example I had mentioned Worth previously.

I’m happy with the 9s but JVP was having a mare but we were 1 injury away from him having to play the whole game despite struggling