Can Telusa stay?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Can Telusa stay?

Post by Ian Cant »

As TV is so important to us, as proved again yesterday, can he stay with us or will he have to go due to the Kolpak ruling? South African Tongan and Samoan players lose their right to work in the UK from December 2020.In fact, will Kalamafoni also have to leave? I’m not sure how the Kolpak rule works and TV has been here ages!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Can Telusa stay?

Post by RagingBull »

I'm sure something will change that will enable most to stay.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Premiership clubs are seeking to increase the overseas player quota next season to offset the loss of Kolpak stars after Brexit.

From December 31 a number of players from South Africa, Fiji, Tonga and Samoa will lose their right to work in the UK as the 2003 EU Association Agreement will not apply at the end of the post-Brexit transition period.

A number of clubs are understood to have lobbied Premiership Rugby Limited for the right to play more foreign stars next season, and they have passed on their request to the RFU, who control player registration.

The clubs are confident of receiving a sympathetic hearing from the RFU, who are liaising with the Government and have written into their rulebook that Kolpak players will retain their status for the rest of this season.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Phew! Thanks as I believe with TV in the backs something special can always happen: same something special applies to Johnny May.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think there are exemptions for non-Kolpak players who are current/recent internationals that allow them to gain work permits.
(Don't think that just applies to rugby)

Personally I've never been a fan of the Kolpak ruling as it allows to many journeymen to compete with less experienced British youngsters. It would be OK if things were reciprocated but that's not really the case.

Too many sides have too many foreign players that ultimately delay the entry into professional rugby of England qualified players and perhaps dissuade some from playing professionally because they don't see how they will get into the professional sides. Then they have to balance up whether they think they will get an opportunity or chase other careers or university and many are lost because sides take the conservative option of picking an established S hemisphere player who gets paid better in England than back home.

The same applies to cricket with far too many ordinary overseas players in county first team sides. Thus opportunities for younger players are fewer and theirs not much of a living to be made in a county second eleven.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Would just need a work permit like someone from any other part of the world. Not difficult for a talented sports person like Veainu.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

People confuse Kolpack signings with free movement.

Kolpack players require visas. Nothing about the deal expiring (which it is going to in any case soon, unless the EU roll it over) changes their immigration status.

What Kolpack players are about is quotas once in the country. So we have rules that limit each club to 2 foreign players per match. For the purposes of those quotas Kolpack players did not count as foreign. This is what will be changing. Nothing about their immigration status.

EU players do not require a work permit (famously Aaron Mauger qualified for a French passport due to a Tahitian grandmother), in future it is these players who will now have to get work permits. They also will count in the 2 foreign player quota.

I am unsure about the legal ability to discriminate against people with indefinite leave to remain, I'd be surprised if you could, so many players may qualify that way.

In TV's case he will have been resident here or 5 years this autumn, so if this became a live issue could apply for a British passport from then and would then be outside any quotas in any case. Similarly Sione Kalamafoni has been in the UK so long he could qualify for a passport if he wished.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!