Captaincy

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Captaincy

Post by BigDan50 »

Young’s form and captaincy have not been good enough for a while now, time for a change at hooker, don’t know who should be handed the role of captain but whoever it is they cannot be worse than Young’s.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

fentiger wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:05 pm Youngs 4 week ban, hopefully someone else gets the chance both at hooker and captaincy?
"The player may have been reacting to an unintended contact with his body...."

I think when someone's grappling with your grapenuts, a little slap is entirely appropriate. It's Rowlands who should have been sanctioned!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:30 pm
fentiger wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:05 pm Youngs 4 week ban, hopefully someone else gets the chance both at hooker and captaincy?
"The player may have been reacting to an unintended contact with his body...."

I think when someone's grappling with your grapenuts, a little slap is entirely appropriate. It's Rowlands who should have been sanctioned!
Dr Strawclearer. I agree. As I said on another thread....

"That said it seemed to me that Tom did thump the guy..... But as been said elsewhere possibly as a result of cheap shots. Looking at Tom's bruised face afterwards, this would seem likely.

We never catch the cheap shot artists do we? The eye gouges, bag snatchers, wedgie givers. 0r even when they are seen they escape sanction. The penalty always falls on the retalliator. "Tut tut. What a lack of discipline!"

It's never "Well you just pulled his undies up the crack in his bottom....... What did you expect?"
Come back Jules.... All is forgiven."

Provocation is rarely, if ever taken into account. Which is a great shame. The underhanded, snidy so and so's that cause the issues never get their come-uppance! The "honest" reactions to these vile characters are all people are interested in.

Dallaglio? I have my own opinion.... But if he does appear on telly with a black eye.......

Perhaps a four week break from his inane biased ramblings would be too much to hope for?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Tom Youngs cited, tried and convicted by the well-known independent arbiter Lawrence Dallaglio. Team allegiances aside, I do think the RFU disciplinary process needs a proper review to examine whether it actually serves the game we love as well as it should. Popularist verdicts, pundit-led decisions and blind reinforcement of poor match day officiating are trends I would like to see reversed in a hurry.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Longshanks wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:53 am Tom Youngs cited, tried and convicted by the well-known independent arbiter Lawrence Dallaglio. Team allegiances aside, I do think the RFU disciplinary process needs a proper review to examine whether it actually serves the game we love as well as it should. Popularist verdicts, pundit-led decisions and blind reinforcement of poor match day officiating are trends I would like to see reversed in a hurry.
he quite clearly punched someone in the face, you really cannot complain about this one
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:05 pm
he quite clearly punched someone in the face, you really cannot complain about this one
I may not have seen the conclusive camera angle but the footage highlighted so vociferously by Dallaglio at the time seemed anything but. What I saw was Youngs's right hand (not in a clenched fist) move towards the left side of the face of the player on top of him. The damage to Rowlands's face was to his right side, under the eye.

I would hope the disciplinary panel had clearer evidence than that shown initially by BT Sport, but my point was really about the wider process. How on earth is the independent citing official supposed to make an objective judgement when a pundit has already pronounced on live TV and kicked off trial by social media?
Flash

Post by Flash »

Longshanks wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:53 am Tom Youngs cited, tried and convicted by the well-known independent arbiter Lawrence Dallaglio. Team allegiances aside, I do think the RFU disciplinary process needs a proper review to examine whether it actually serves the game we love as well as it should. Popularist verdicts, pundit-led decisions and blind reinforcement of poor match day officiating are trends I would like to see reversed in a hurry.
How do we know the wasps player didn't use telekinesis to bring Tom's fist towards his own head?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Longshanks wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:16 pm
I may not have seen the conclusive camera angle but the footage highlighted so vociferously by Dallaglio at the time seemed anything but. What I saw was Youngs's right hand (not in a clenched fist) move towards the left side of the face of the player on top of him. The damage to Rowlands's face was to his right side, under the eye.

I would hope the disciplinary panel had clearer evidence than that shown initially by BT Sport, but my point was really about the wider process. How on earth is the independent citing official supposed to make an objective judgement when a pundit has already pronounced on live TV and kicked off trial by social media?
This begs a question: Does the Citing Officer hear the commentary or does he/she simply watch the match and hear the ref?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The citing officer is sat in the stands and makes notes during the game. Incidents are reviewed afterwards using all the available camera angles to determine if a citing should be made.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Longshanks wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:16 pm

seriously you are being more biased then Dallaglio if you are trying to claim Tom didn't punch him, striking an opponent in the face is a red card
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:35 pm The citing officer is sat in the stands and makes notes during the game. Incidents are reviewed afterwards using all the available camera angles to determine if a citing should be made.
...but at no point prior to issuing a citing does the Officer hear any commentary or hear/see any analysis from the media - is that right?
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

In Tom's situation you don't thump the man on top of you without due cause. That said, it the days of citing officers it is always a dumb move even if understandable.

To be fair he put his hands up and I would have thought 2 week would have been more reasonable. However, it is what it is and hopefully the short break will mean he comes back with more umph at the back end of March. :smt027
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:24 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:35 pm The citing officer is sat in the stands and makes notes during the game. Incidents are reviewed afterwards using all the available camera angles to determine if a citing should be made.
...but at no point prior to issuing a citing does the Officer hear any commentary or hear/see any analysis from the media - is that right?
He may have access to it as part of his decision making as to whether it warranted a red card, hence a citing. The citing has no commentary during the match to my knowledge, may have the input from the officials only that he listens to during the game.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Re: captaincy I'd give Taufua a go while the England boys are away, has to be first name on the team sheet at the moment and always seems to vocal on the pitch.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

BigDan50 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:22 pm Young’s form and captaincy have not been good enough for a while now, time for a change at hooker, don’t know who should be handed the role of captain but whoever it is they cannot be worse than Young’s.
Absolutely typical of people this is. Quick enough to say someone isn’t good enough but don’t have a clue who could do a better job!