Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Captaincy

Post by Mark62 »

Freebird wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:08 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:28 pm
Freebird wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:21 pm

It is also not that long ago that Ed Slater was on TV talking up Tom Youngs' credentials as a captain. But then what what would he know compared to a supposed consensus on a messageboard.
You make a fair point. IMO Tom makes an excellent cub captain in terms of rallying the troops and pulling everyone in the same direction, his weaker side is on the pitch in terms of his tactical acumen and communication with match officials
The whole issue of "communication with match officials" is an interesting one because what we are really saying is persuading the match officials into favouring our own team; therefore, if, through a somewhat biased lens, we feel that we are not getting the rub of the green, one of the easy options is to blame the captain for not getting in the referee's ear. That said there are some captains that do have that skill but those who can do it on a consistent basis are few are far between. There are many more who sometimes achieve it ( Owen Farrell v Australia a year or two ago) but at other times don't. Then there are some who do well a lot of the time but then get it wrong on occasion on a spectacular scale (i.e. Dylan Hartley).
Don’t whether you got the chance to hearSam Warburton commentate. He felt the ref communication was a huge part of his job as skipper both before and during the game, in terms of getting the game to flow in the right direction for his team and maybe sway the odd decision
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

If other candidates were/are needed would personally go for Dan Cole or Jordan Taufua.
Believe our incoming Head Coach would go with George Ford.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

In a year - maybe two...

Ellis Genge.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:38 am In a year - maybe two...

Ellis Genge.
I've always liked your sense of humour :smt002
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Leicester Tigers hooker Tom Youngs is to appear before an independent disciplinary panel on Tuesday (February 18) after a citing from Saturday’s Gallagher Premiership win over Wasps.

I suspect he may be absent for a match or two
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

drc_007 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:44 pm Leicester Tigers hooker Tom Youngs is to appear before an independent disciplinary panel on Tuesday (February 18) after a citing from Saturday’s Gallagher Premiership win over Wasps.

Wouldn't surprise me. No matter what cheap shots he's taken, no excuse in this day and age when there's cameras everywhere
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:54 pm

Ellis Genge.
I've always liked your sense of humour :smt002
He said the same when I told him - but in a very self-effacing 'do you really think so?' kind of way! It's not just the respect of the ref a Captain needs. He also needs to be able to gather the troops together after 20 minutes (not at half-time) and rouse them to a renewed effort (as MJ used to do). He must be able to assess game plans 'on the run' with players like Ford and then communicate them - and make them happen.

I'd give him the armband and I reckon it would make him and the team.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

drc_007 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:44 pm Leicester Tigers hooker Tom Youngs is to appear before an independent disciplinary panel on Tuesday (February 18) after a citing from Saturday’s Gallagher Premiership win over Wasps.

Admittedly quite far away in the Crumbie terraces I did not see the offence take place, and it’s not on the highlight reels. It was after Bateman scored right?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:26 pm Oh and, this.....
https://www.ruck.co.uk/happy-birthday-8 ... -legend/4/
Highly appropriate - Ellis usually makes Stinker his!
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

Ellis Genge.
That could be the missing link (of sausages).
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:22 pm

Admittedly quite far away in the Crumbie terraces I did not see the offence take place, and it’s not on the highlight reels. It was after Bateman scored right?
The full match is here https://www.premiershiprugby.com/watch/ ... p-round-10. It is around the 52 min (match clock).
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Just seen it, reckless but not much force, 5-6 weeks maybe? Some of the length of bans recently have been a joke.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Taufua seems to be a leader and is an unknown quantity to the refs. If he can keep a polite tone I think he could be a good interim captain if TY is away. If it goes well then he could keep the match day role. Someone from the back row if often near the action and communicating with the ref regarding what they can do at the breakdown and then what they did wrong if a penalty is given. Dan Cold is often at the breakdown too but tends to get a few penalties and not many turnovers so may not have all the credentials for that job. Tigers do need something different. Without relegation we can wait until Borthwick comes to take us forward but the current management could try to step up and galvanise change!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Youngs 4 week ban, hopefully someone else gets the chance both at hooker and captaincy?