LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Locked
sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4221
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by sam16111986 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:35 am

RagingBull wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:38 pm
Personally I don't think he is worth a 3 year contract.
He is good, but I don't think he is really any different to many other hookers in the league and with his EQP gone it will not help matters.

I would keep him but wouldn't push hard.
Three year contracts work both ways, you don't have to necessarily break the bank with a three year deal. It's a bit of inflation proofing as well. Last season he was tearing up trees and this season not so much. For me he's our best lineout hooker and is still young enough to improve. If Borthwick comes in and improves him then Scotland will come calling, it's be nice to be in a position where they couldn't take him north with them.

As you say we could replace him as hookers tend not to get the big contracts other positions do but given our lineout wobbles continuity would be preferred.

sk 88
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 485
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 5:33 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by sk 88 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:52 pm

You also the benefit of familiarity, team building, a settled place to develop your game.

Chopping and changing a third to half the squad has not been working for us. We know Kerr is a Premiership quality hooker. We know we will always need three of these. Yes we may get a better value player at some point, or we may not. We will get more from this position long term with less churn.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!

TigerMac3
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:30 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by TigerMac3 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:14 pm

Will Spencer’s apparently signed a 2 year deal at Bath. Cam Redpath and Ben Spencer also due to sign long term deals.

Earls and Malins off to Bristol on a years loan and Singleton apparently spent last week at Kingsholm. Be gutted if we were to miss out on him but given current sitch would understand.

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 8707
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by RagingBull » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:15 pm

I like singleton but if we are looking for lineout stability his Saracens form hasn't shown that

TigerMac3
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:30 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by TigerMac3 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:19 pm

Agree RB. Honest question, is he that different to McGuigan!?

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4221
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by sam16111986 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:39 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:15 pm
I like singleton but if we are looking for lineout stability his Saracens form hasn't shown that
Was less of a problem at Worcester. His form at Sarries hasn't been the best. I suppose missing pre season for your new team at the world cup and watching most of the world cup from the stands means you are then both behind with the calls and short of match sharpness. Woolstencroft has been excellent for Sarries this season as well just to increase the challenge as well.

kk20gb30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1205
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:01 pm
Location: Over The Hills & Far Away

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by kk20gb30 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:16 am

sk 88 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:52 pm
You also the benefit of familiarity, team building, a settled place to develop your game.

Chopping and changing a third to half the squad has not been working for us. We know Kerr is a Premiership quality hooker. We know we will always need three of these. Yes we may get a better value player at some point, or we may not. We will get more from this position long term with less churn.
Agreed.
Kerr is in place ,we have observed enough potential to warrant keeping him - if that is what he wants together with The Club.
Neither of our two front line hookers are getting any younger or better and at least one will possibly be gone come next season.That said another quality player is needed , create real competition for places.

Leicestertinytiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1819
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by Leicestertinytiger » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:14 am

Gloucester are reportedly bidding to pip Leicester to the signing of Saracens hooker Jack Singleton according to Gloucestershire Live.

chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1158
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by chewbacca » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:52 am

If we are looking to sign anyone I hope is in consultation and with the approval of the incoming head coach.
I'm not cynical just experienced

happywomble
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:53 am

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by happywomble » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:55 am

chewbacca wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:52 am
If we are looking to sign anyone I hope is in consultation and with the approval of the incoming head coach.
Talking of which, I didnt see Mr B at the England game. Was it just me missing him or was he really absent? I don't suppose he was at Sale Friday night? I was at a gig in London so missed it.

kk20gb30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1205
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:01 pm
Location: Over The Hills & Far Away

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by kk20gb30 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:19 am

chewbacca wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:52 am
If we are looking to sign anyone I hope is in consultation and with the approval of the incoming head coach.
...lets not be ridiculous :smt002

longlivethecrumbie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by longlivethecrumbie » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:29 am

happywomble wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:55 am
chewbacca wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:52 am
If we are looking to sign anyone I hope is in consultation and with the approval of the incoming head coach.
Talking of which, I didnt see Mr B at the England game. Was it just me missing him or was he really absent? I don't suppose he was at Sale Friday night? I was at a gig in London so missed it.
You didn't miss much, tbh! :smt023

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1207
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by Cardiff Tig » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:45 pm

Leicestertinytiger wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:14 am
Gloucester are reportedly bidding to pip Leicester to the signing of Saracens hooker Jack Singleton according to Gloucestershire Live.
If this is just a loan then I won't be disappointed. if it's a long term signing for Gloucester then I think we should be trying harder to find another decent hooker...

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 8707
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by RagingBull » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:11 pm

Nadolo scores a try this weekend to go with his two last

https://youtu.be/boBgoW-nDRE

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by Mark62 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:51 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:11 pm
Nadolo scores a try this weekend to go with his two last

https://youtu.be/boBgoW-nDRE
He also liked the the Samurai announcement on twitter.
Ref the hooker situation at the moment Singleton is 4th choice for England and unlikely to get any higher considering the age of George and LCD.
Personally for the money TPN is reported to be on I’d rather we replaced him with a South African Warthog, developed Kerr and called youngs in off his tractor when required.
It maybe that Borthwick has been consulted about Singleton and he has said look elsewhere

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cardiff Tig, TigerFeetSteve and 2 guests