LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:38 pm Personally I don't think he is worth a 3 year contract.
He is good, but I don't think he is really any different to many other hookers in the league and with his EQP gone it will not help matters.

I would keep him but wouldn't push hard.
Three year contracts work both ways, you don't have to necessarily break the bank with a three year deal. It's a bit of inflation proofing as well. Last season he was tearing up trees and this season not so much. For me he's our best lineout hooker and is still young enough to improve. If Borthwick comes in and improves him then Scotland will come calling, it's be nice to be in a position where they couldn't take him north with them.

As you say we could replace him as hookers tend not to get the big contracts other positions do but given our lineout wobbles continuity would be preferred.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

You also the benefit of familiarity, team building, a settled place to develop your game.

Chopping and changing a third to half the squad has not been working for us. We know Kerr is a Premiership quality hooker. We know we will always need three of these. Yes we may get a better value player at some point, or we may not. We will get more from this position long term with less churn.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Will Spencer’s apparently signed a 2 year deal at Bath. Cam Redpath and Ben Spencer also due to sign long term deals.

Earls and Malins off to Bristol on a years loan and Singleton apparently spent last week at Kingsholm. Be gutted if we were to miss out on him but given current sitch would understand.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I like singleton but if we are looking for lineout stability his Saracens form hasn't shown that
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Agree RB. Honest question, is he that different to McGuigan!?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:15 pm I like singleton but if we are looking for lineout stability his Saracens form hasn't shown that
Was less of a problem at Worcester. His form at Sarries hasn't been the best. I suppose missing pre season for your new team at the world cup and watching most of the world cup from the stands means you are then both behind with the calls and short of match sharpness. Woolstencroft has been excellent for Sarries this season as well just to increase the challenge as well.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

sk 88 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:52 pm You also the benefit of familiarity, team building, a settled place to develop your game.

Chopping and changing a third to half the squad has not been working for us. We know Kerr is a Premiership quality hooker. We know we will always need three of these. Yes we may get a better value player at some point, or we may not. We will get more from this position long term with less churn.
Agreed.
Kerr is in place ,we have observed enough potential to warrant keeping him - if that is what he wants together with The Club.
Neither of our two front line hookers are getting any younger or better and at least one will possibly be gone come next season.That said another quality player is needed , create real competition for places.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Gloucester are reportedly bidding to pip Leicester to the signing of Saracens hooker Jack Singleton according to Gloucestershire Live.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

If we are looking to sign anyone I hope is in consultation and with the approval of the incoming head coach.
I'm not cynical just experienced
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

chewbacca wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:52 am If we are looking to sign anyone I hope is in consultation and with the approval of the incoming head coach.
Talking of which, I didnt see Mr B at the England game. Was it just me missing him or was he really absent? I don't suppose he was at Sale Friday night? I was at a gig in London so missed it.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

chewbacca wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:52 am If we are looking to sign anyone I hope is in consultation and with the approval of the incoming head coach.
...lets not be ridiculous :smt002
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

happywomble wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:55 am
Talking of which, I didnt see Mr B at the England game. Was it just me missing him or was he really absent? I don't suppose he was at Sale Friday night? I was at a gig in London so missed it.
You didn't miss much, tbh! :smt023
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:14 am Gloucester are reportedly bidding to pip Leicester to the signing of Saracens hooker Jack Singleton according to Gloucestershire Live.
If this is just a loan then I won't be disappointed. if it's a long term signing for Gloucester then I think we should be trying harder to find another decent hooker...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Nadolo scores a try this weekend to go with his two last

https://youtu.be/boBgoW-nDRE
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:11 pm Nadolo scores a try this weekend to go with his two last

https://youtu.be/boBgoW-nDRE
He also liked the the Samurai announcement on twitter.
Ref the hooker situation at the moment Singleton is 4th choice for England and unlikely to get any higher considering the age of George and LCD.
Personally for the money TPN is reported to be on I’d rather we replaced him with a South African Warthog, developed Kerr and called youngs in off his tractor when required.
It maybe that Borthwick has been consulted about Singleton and he has said look elsewhere