LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by BFG »

I'm surprised that they are letting Thompson go.
He has a few games left in him yet but more importantly he is the perfect mentor for young back row players trying to transition from National Leagues to Premiership.
He has been there and done it.
His breakdown work is better than anyone else and therefore his potential input moving into coaching could be invalueable.
He is even better than Tuafua because he adapts to individual refs better in my opinion.
If his injuries are a concern to anyone then to be honest I'd be more concerned with Brink's ruptured achilles.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes,poor decision. Didnt start playing till very late so relatively young in rugby terms. Probably go on and win a couple of titles at Exeter or haunt us from Saints!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:51 pm Yes,poor decision. Didnt start playing till very late so relatively young in rugby terms. Probably go on and win a couple of titles at Exeter or haunt us from Saints!
And you really think either of those teams will look at an injury prone 33 year old back row forward no matter how old he was when he started, the way he plays the game 100% fully committed means he gets injured more than most. I mean it really worked out well for Saints with Haskell didn’t it.
Hard when favourites move on, I was delighted when we signed him but there is only so much budget, so why not wait to see what’s coming in.

I know your glass is permanently half empty Scott but really that is what springs into your mind
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I've got George Smith on line 1
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

On the balance of probabilities it seems like the right call to let Guy leave. I understand the sentiment based on the way he plays, his commitment and his high standards of performance. However, he simply hasn't made it onto the pitch much in the last year and aged 33 plus injury problems (of which Tigers will have much more detailed information about than us) doesn't look good for the future.

The most important criteria for any player is that they must be able to make it onto the pitch. Sadly, Guy can't do that very often these days. I hope he'll get a contract at a good club and completely prove me wrong. If not, he strikes me as the sort of person who will do pretty well post-rugby.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I agree with BFG, something along the lines of a player coach at a Championship club for year would do Guy and players hoping to make the jump up some good.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:50 am I agree with BFG, something along the lines of a player coach at a Championship club for year would do Guy and players hoping to make the jump up some good.
Absolutely I think he’s from London originally the sort of player/coach Ealing should be looking at if budget allows.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:39 am
JP14 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:50 am I agree with BFG, something along the lines of a player coach at a Championship club for year would do Guy and players hoping to make the jump up some good.
Absolutely I think he’s from London originally the sort of player/coach Ealing should be looking at if budget allows.
He could make a wonderful addition as a player and breakdown coach for someone.
He knows and plays refs better than most which is an underrated attribute.
Much knowledge to pass on.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:58 am
On the back of that maybe a career in refereeing is the way forward. May have to loose the top knot though
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:27 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:58 am

On the back of that maybe a career in refereeing is the way forward. May have to loose the top knot though
Maybe Gloucester could sign him and he'll have no choice.
I'm surprised someone hasn't had a snippet, he must he too scary!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I wouldn't be surprised if Jersey tried to get Guy back. They are losing the impressive Namibian Janco Venter to Sarries by the sounds of things so an experience back rower would fit their squad very well.

For those interested former Tiger Charlie Beckett is still at Jersey as well. Charlie has been playing well there by most accounts having settled in the second row during his time at Gloucester following his brief foray into the front row.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Does anyone have a list of ins and outs for next season?
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

chipnchase wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:58 pm Does anyone have a list of ins and outs for next season?
OPs from these threads by RagingBull are excellent for this.

Confirmed signings - Mamukashvili, Nadolo, Henry

Confirmed re-signings - Youngs x 2, Ford, Genge, Hardwick, Worth, Aspland-Robinson, Smith, Lavin, Gough

Confirmed leavers - Kalamafoni (Scarlets), Thompson (N/A), Costelow (Scarlets), Harrison (mid-season move to Aus)

Rumoured leavers - Thompstone, Polota-Nau, Spencer, Viljeon, Cortes, Hills, McPhillips, Thomas

Facundo Gigena may be out of contract but I'm not certain there. I really hope he re-signs long term. An important squad player if we want our scrum to consistently be a weapon. Cortes and Hills being out of contract should free up cap in the front row for that as he will be warranting a pay rise.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Front row - TPN and Cortes looking likely off, only Mamukashvili confirmed in so far, and presume on less than TPN, so plenty of room to look to recruit here if required. Guessing Youngs pay decrease may make up for Genge’s pay rise (ish??). Do we need another prop to replace Cortes, possibly a project at best.

Second Row - Spencer likely off, room to add a genuine starter here, based on the rumours we may have overpaid for Spencer.

Back Row - Thompson and Kalamafoni leaving, both classed as starters when fully fit. Only Brink confirmed in, I think we need to add here, and should have cap to do it.

Halfbacks - Not really sure on how Harrison was dealt with in the cap, but assuming we had to leave him in all season, there’s budget freed up. Guessing Ford’s rise could be covered by Youngs reduced terms. Henry a straight swap for McPhillips?

Centres - no real change? Thomas likely off, maybe another project, or else reallocate funds elsewhere in the back line.

Back 3 - Thompstone off and May reduced terms, would that cover Nadolo?

That suggests to me we do have room to make additional moves within the cap still, at front row, second row and back row. Maybe an additional project outside back, 13/14/15 using Thomas’s wage and any residual budget freed up elsewhere.

I’m sure it’s not that simple, there may be other payrises that have swallowed up budget.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Rumoured leavers - Viljeon, McPhillips, Thomas - Didnt these three all join last season so would have thought they would be on more than a year contract?