LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by ABClub »

happywomble wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:39 pm Rumoured leavers - Viljeon, McPhillips, Thomas - Didnt these three all join last season so would have thought they would be on more than a year contract?
McPhillips and Thomas were 1 year contracts I believe. Tigers needed depth and they needed a club. Thomas is rumoured back to the regions and McPhillips didn't tear up trees on loan in the Championship.

Viljeon was a 2 year contract but there's been rumours he might leave early given he's struggled for game time. I think he could be a strong fullback given his huge boot but at 13 he lacked the physicality to be up to much in attack or defence at Prem level. With Steward coming through at 15 and Worth getting game time at centre I can't see Viljeon getting many more chances next season.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Absolutely desperate for a 12 imo!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:29 pm Absolutely desperate for a 12 imo!
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

ABClub wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:52 pm
happywomble wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:39 pm Rumoured leavers - Viljeon, McPhillips, Thomas - Didnt these three all join last season so would have thought they would be on more than a year contract?
McPhillips and Thomas were 1 year contracts I believe. Tigers needed depth and they needed a club. Thomas is rumoured back to the regions and McPhillips didn't tear up trees on loan in the Championship.

Viljeon was a 2 year contract but there's been rumours he might leave early given he's struggled for game time. I think he could be a strong fullback given his huge boot but at 13 he lacked the physicality to be up to much in attack or defence at Prem level. With Steward coming through at 15 and Worth getting game time at centre I can't see Viljeon getting many more chances next season.
Cheers ABC! Very useful. Shame for Viljoen, as he did look fairly handy when down in SA and I would have thought the harder dryer tracks at the end of the season may have suited him.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Issue at 12 is Manu, Taute, Reid, Eastmond and now Nadolo (played 12 for Fiji a fair bit) all being in contract.

I hope we see Hardwick get game time at 12 outside Ford next season. He certainly has the strength in defence to play there.

I hope to see Worth get more chances in the centre as well. He's solid at fullback but given he's not quick for a back three player he's unlikely to be more than solid. His passing game and strength in contact could be seen more in midfield.

Reid looking so average here after being strong in an outstanding Leinster side is a pretty clear indication of how bad the structure in the backs is. McGinity mentioned targeting 'power on one wing and pace on the other'. Perhaps an indication that we will be using a simpler attacking game plan next season.

Genge, Lavanini, Liebenberg, Taufua, Brink, Manu and Nadolo is a big step up in ball carrying from where we were a couple of years ago. I think we will see a pretty direct game plan to start with under Borthwick. Strong set-piece (hopefully...) and then a lot of hard running.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:29 pm Absolutely desperate for a 12 imo!
As we have for sometime & as English rugby in general.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The absolute key in all this is Borthwick,regardless of talking about potential players and those already here.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

With the proposed law change a decent kicking 12 ala Reid or Hardwick will become invaluable
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I've just had a text on my phone regarding 5 big names exiting, because I don't subscribe to that source I did not open it but say Jonny May's name mentioned as signing for someone, but I could not read more.

Anyone throw more light on it please?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

LE18 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:14 pm I've just had a text on my phone regarding 5 big names exiting, because I don't subscribe to that source I did not open it but say Jonny May's name mentioned as signing for someone, but I could not read more.

Old article from Ruck.com I believe
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:24 pm
LE18 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:14 pm I've just had a text on my phone regarding 5 big names exiting, because I don't subscribe to that source I did not open it but say Jonny May's name mentioned as signing for someone, but I could not read more.

Old article from Ruck.com I believe
Thanks.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I’ve had a look at what I presume is the same article.
The 5 mentioned are Spencer, Kalamafoni, Thomas, Thompson and May.

It says that they understand May has yet to sign an agreement as he is unhappy with a reported £100k paycut.
As I say no new news
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

happywomble wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:34 pm
ABClub wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:52 pm

Cheers ABC! Very useful. Shame for Viljoen, as he did look fairly handy when down in SA and I would have thought the harder dryer tracks at the end of the season may have suited him.
Viljoen did come with promise, but had a mare at home against Sarries and hasn’t had a look in since in the Prem. I don’t think his kicking game was a good as we thought it would be either; I think we hoped for someone who could bang over a 55-60m pen, or punt a penalty from one 22 to the other.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:04 pm With the proposed law change a decent kicking 12 ala Reid or Hardwick will become invaluable
Absolutely. If Borthwick can sort out the lineout and quicker ball at the breakdown (a hallmark of forwards he's coached) then the backs should be able to fall into shape much better.

With the scrum already strong the lineout becoming a weapon is crucial. Scrum penalty, kick to touch and launch the lineout may not be new age rugby but it's extremely effective and something to build from. Particularly if we can launch Manu, Nadolo and Taufua from good lineout ball.

In Ford, Hardwick, Reid and Henry we will have 4 strong goal kickers next season as well.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ABClub wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:25 pm
Mark62 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:04 pm With the proposed law change a decent kicking 12 ala Reid or Hardwick will become invaluable
Absolutely. If Borthwick can sort out the lineout and quicker ball at the breakdown (a hallmark of forwards he's coached) then the backs should be able to fall into shape much better.

With the scrum already strong the lineout becoming a weapon is crucial. Scrum penalty, kick to touch and launch the lineout may not be new age rugby but it's extremely effective and something to build from. Particularly if we can launch Manu, Nadolo and Taufua from good lineout ball.

In Ford, Hardwick, Reid and Henry we will have 4 strong goal kickers next season as well.
Absolutely also the new law should mean wingers have to sit deeper to cover, so a decent passing 10 and 12 combo getting the ball wide will increase options