LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

JP14 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:20 pm We should absolutely try and keep Batley.
Agreed. I was also impressed with him from his appearances for us. Many decried his signing as being a waste of time and another cast off, but I think he showed that he's got something about him and well worth the time and investment.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I also like Batley. To have come through cancer as he has and still be pushing on in professional rugby is remarkable. He's big enough to offer a different tactical option compared to Wells which the squad depth needs. I hope we retain him. He will also offer good value which the squad will need over the next couple of seasons as the club recovers.

The talent in the development squad and younger talents such as Batley, Cam Henderson and Ollie Chessum will be invaluable if squads get smaller. Given the strength of the academy over the last few years Tigers should be in a good position in that regard.

I'm hoping we make some more signings from the Championship, particularly in the back three. Jack Spittle or Ryan Hutler would be a good pick ups. Kwaku Asiedu has been getting Championship exposure with Ampthill, plus he's been involved in A-league squads.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Bately has massive physical scope and potential - in addition to obvious determination,strength of character and tenacity - one has to be hopeful of keeping him.To bring him in on loan without an option to make the switch permanent would be ill conceived (unless of course for injury cover).I also believe that Bately covers both Number 8 and Lock , two areas where depth is always welcome.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

kk20gb30 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:49 pm Bately has massive physical scope and potential - in addition to obvious determination,strength of character and tenacity - one has to be hopeful of keeping him.To bring him in on loan without an option to make the switch permanent would be ill conceived (unless of course for injury cover).I also believe that Bately covers both Number 8 and Lock , two areas where depth is always welcome.
Joe did sign as injury cover. Spencer and Green were both out at the time I believe. He is also out of contract with Bristol at the end of the season though - or technically it probably runs out on June 30th given the current uncertainty.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

In terms of Championship players to bring in as depth it's a shame that Ed Milne seems to have moved out of rugby. I always hoped he'd return to Tigers after his medical studies were finished. He continued showing promise with Rossyln Park, London Scottish and Richmond after leaving the club.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

So, given the impending possible cuts in money available, would you be happy with Batley as Spencer’s replacement, plus a couple of championship players like Lokotui and Spittle as replacements for Thompson and May? Taking into account we have already added some development options also.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:11 am So, given the impending possible cuts in money available, would you be happy with Batley as Spencer’s replacement, plus a couple of championship players like Lokotui and Spittle as replacements for Thompson and May? Taking into account we have already added some development options also.
Firstly , things dependent on finance.If we have the opportunity to bring in proven quality as replacements for those departing then we should do so.Should we be heavily restricted in terms of funds available then options are obviously limited.Irrespective,if possible, I see Bately as being worth a contract (has all the physical attributes and young) , whilst for instance Spittle - having seen him play first hand - is worth the chance also.Note, Holmes was picked up with an eye on possible development.
Furthermore I tend to believe that the present situation has induced a period of stasis , where nothin is being mooted,nothing is being said.Like as not (for us and others) there are incoming signings and deals have been /are being done but without the fanfare.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:11 am So, given the impending possible cuts in money available, would you be happy with Batley as Spencer’s replacement, plus a couple of championship players like Lokotui and Spittle as replacements for Thompson and May? Taking into account we have already added some development options also.
Batley would take up very little of Spencer's cap space, probably not half. So that would be a saving. I can't see the point in signing an openside from the Championship. I can see the point in dual registering Boladau and Coghlan with Nottingham for a season. Notts have gone to semi pro so helping them keep some quality that know our system and can be brought in as we need them but still play for Notts to remain sharp just seems good business. It builds the relationship with Notts who we can then use to give more exposure to our development players as Notts are losing quite a few players of their own.

I'm all for signing a Championship flyer or two. We can probably get two in for the price of Holmes, if one could also provide fullback cover all the better.

We could then keep our powder dry for a high quality lock should one become available later, hopefully at a time when our income streams have started to flow again. The squad is looking a little light on depth but the first XV is pretty strong. Might be a case of blooding youngsters and we won't be the only ones.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Listening to Geordan on the podcast, I thought he indicated that further announcements were due in the next few weeks. I took that to mean that agreements have been reached but they weren’t announcing anything yet.
I would imagine the situation with Australian players is muddying the waters too
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Jonah out, Matt Scott in.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

A 12 for an outside back ??
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

anz3001 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:10 pm Jonah out, Matt Scott in.
Tigers have got a good player there. Hope he stays for and plays well.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

biffer wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:13 pm
Has this been confirmed
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:13 pm A 12 for an outside back ??
A 12 which is needed!

I wouldn’t see it as a replacement for May or Holmes.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:15 pm
biffer wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:13 pm
Has this been confirmed
yes