Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by Cagey Tiger »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:52 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:44 pm GT will be massive for Ealing. I hope he can stay fit.

Best of luck Guy.
Has this been confirmed?

From 11 other Premiership teams, he isn’t going to any of them. That’s should tell those thinking us releasing him is a bad idea something.
That Ealing are happy to splash the cash to get a very committed and experienced Premiership player, despite his age and recent injury record. Something they do not have as much of as the Premiership clubs have, is one way of looking at it. Their 'need' is greater.

They might be offering a pathway into coaching, if Guy wants to do that.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

He will be Jordy Reid’s replacement, who is heading to Kingsholm next season.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:00 pmThat Ealing are happy to splash the cash to get a very committed and experienced Premiership player, despite his age and recent injury record. Something they do not have as much of as the Premiership clubs have, is one way of looking at it. Their 'need' is greater.

Well said. I'd heard that Guy had a few offers from Championship clubs in player-coach roles. A return to Jersey apparently one of the other options with them losing Janco Venter to Sarries.

None of us know whether he got Premiership offers. Ealing may well have outbid them given their financial backing. Most the Premiership clubs aren't exactly doing great financially at the minute. I think Guy will do very well in coaching if he chooses that path.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:44 pm GT will be massive for Ealing. I hope he can stay fit.

Best of luck Guy.
Has this been confirmed?

From 11 other Premiership teams, he isn’t going to any of them. That’s should tell those thinking us releasing him is a bad idea something.
£££££,think about who Ealing are then get back to us
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

If Holmes goes, I implore the club to use the money on getting Blommitijies back, unless the financial pinch means the money needs to be used elsewhere.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ABClub wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:38 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:00 pmThat Ealing are happy to splash the cash to get a very committed and experienced Premiership player, despite his age and recent injury record. Something they do not have as much of as the Premiership clubs have, is one way of looking at it. Their 'need' is greater.

Well said. I'd heard that Guy had a few offers from Championship clubs in player-coach roles. A return to Jersey apparently one of the other options with them losing Janco Venter to Sarries.

None of us know whether he got Premiership offers. Ealing may well have outbid them given their financial backing. Most the Premiership clubs aren't exactly doing great financially at the minute. I think Guy will do very well in coaching if he chooses that path.
Guy did a podcast thingy with Bondi re life away from rugby. Apparently both he a Bateman are doing higher business qualifications at DMU and Guy already has a business set up with an old friend going into businesses to do team work, motivation all that stuff. He mentioned how helpful the club and some of its sponsors had been setting this up
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:12 pm

Best of luck Guy.
Has this been confirmed?

So it’s all about the money? I think I’d want to keep testing myself at the highest level if it was me.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:02 am

Has this been confirmed?

So it’s all about the money? I think I’d want to keep testing myself at the highest level if it was me.
Maybe its more down to game time on offer and placing himself in London for future career opportunities.
Good luck to him and fair play for having a plan post rugby.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

chipnchase wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:45 am

Maybe its more down to game time on offer and placing himself in London for future career opportunities.
My earlier point kind of suggested this. 11 other Premiership teams either don’t want him or won’t give him enough game time.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:14 pm

My earlier point kind of suggested this. 11 other Premiership teams either don’t want him or won’t give him enough game time.
Or are already well stocked in the back row, or are waiting to see how they come out of the coronavirus situation financially before doing any further recruitment. Or don't play in a way that Guy would fit into very well.

Your original post very strongly implied that because no Premiership side wanted him, it was down to his abilities as a player. I'm not saying you are wrong, just pointing out that there are other ways of looking at it.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:33 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:14 pm

Or are already well stocked in the back row, or are waiting to see how they come out of the coronavirus situation financially before doing any further recruitment. Or don't play in a way that Guy would fit into very well.

Your original post very strongly implied that because no Premiership side wanted him, it was down to his abilities as a player. I'm not saying you are wrong, just pointing out that there are other ways of looking at it.
Yes he only looked at it one way and is desperately trying to vindicate that we were correct in getting rid of him!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

How far is Gough away from first team games do we think?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I don't think Taylor Gough is far from a bench position but our squad of young backrowers also includes Ashworth, Eveleigh, Lavin, Thom Smith and of course Lewis and Reffell. All of those are aged about 20 or 21 there are a couple of Academy players that might step up in the near future as well..
I am sorry Guy Thompson and presumably Kalamafoni have left but assuming our starting back row is Taufua, Liebenbugh, Brink a bench with Lewis and Reffell is pretty strong, we also have the options of various lock forwards who can double as sixes. I do hope we manage to retain Batley.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:41 pm I don't think Taylor Gough is far from a bench position but our squad of young backrowers also includes Ashworth, Eveleigh, Lavin, Thom Smith and of course Lewis and Reffell. All of those are aged about 20 or 21 there are a couple of Academy players that might step up in the near future as well..
I am sorry Guy Thompson and presumably Kalamafoni have left but assuming our starting back row is Taufua, Liebenbugh, Brink a bench with Lewis and Reffell is pretty strong, we also have the options of various lock forwards who can double as sixes. I do hope we manage to retain Batley.
I hope we retain Batley as well. If we are going to have to operate on a lower budget next season then he's big enough to cover for Lavanini but mobile enough to slot into the backrow. I liked what I saw when he was here. At 23/24 he's the right age for Borthwick to take and improve as well.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We should absolutely try and keep Batley.