LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by JP14 »

Probably because he likes to say it how it is.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:52 am
ABClub wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:25 am On wingers, if Christian Wade doesn't make a 53 man roster in the NFL this season then he may well be looking at a rugby return. I'd take Wade at Tigers in a heartbeat.
Absolutely ; does seem enamoured by the NFL however..
As part of the international player scheme he had a guaranteed training squad place last season even if he didn't make a roster. The training squads have 90 players then the rosters are cut to 53 players. If he can't make a roster this season then there wont be many options left in NFL for him. Might seem brutal but it's a sport where players peak young and he is about to turn 29.

If he's more enamoured with the states than gridiron then he might go for a MLR contract rather than a return to the Prem. I'd love him at Tigers though. Nadolo, Veainu and Wade as back three options would be brilliant fun. Particularly with Steward coming through as an out and out fullback as well.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:23 am
JP14 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:20 am I didn’t think the party line was being towed too much, if at all. But it would be interesting to get the thoughts of the People’s captain next Friday.
Quite so and Tom acknowledgement that Greg has been brilliant in his role as RPA representative.
Genge name was also mentioned as being involved though I’m not sure why he was singled out
Most likely because Genge has been the Tigers player to get the most press and national coverage.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Guy Thompson to Ealing

Also rugby paper saying Bath are interested in Toomua.
TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TA30 »

If Guy's move to Ealing is confirmed, it puts his departure into perspective that he has not signed for a direct competitor. Really happy for him tho, he'll be a big player & presence for them. The interview from geordan this week gives me hope of an additional back row signing that just isn't being announced at this time.

On Toomua, I doubt his heart would be in it to come back to UK so quickly. I hope Tigers do not end up with any short term Aussies. Use the development squad and save the money.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:51 am Guy Thompson to Ealing

Great to hear about Guy Thompson
Bath may be interested in Toomua , some how cant see Toomua being interested in Bath ; not out of any 'loyalty' to ourselves (in spite of the initial contract extension spin) simply the travel , distance and time away from family again.If it did come off however don't think there would be be an overly enthusiastic reaction for his re appearanceat Welford Road.The manner of departure still leaves a sour taste.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Was always Thompson most likely destination imo, good luck to him, hopefully he can stay relatively injury free and he will be a great success
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:23 am

Bath may be interested in Toomua , some how cant see Toomua being interested in Bath ; not out of any 'loyalty' to ourselves (in spite of the initial contract extension spin) simply the travel , distance and time away from family again.If it did come off however don't think there would be be an overly enthusiastic reaction for his re appearanceat Welford Road.The manner of departure still leaves a sour taste.
Money talks.

Have Baarrff got lots of money?

Are Baarrff in favour of a reduced cap or would they prefer (to end their all-too-current absence of) trophies?
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

TomWeston wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:53 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:23 am

Money talks.

Have Baarrff got lots of money?

Are Baarrff in favour of a reduced cap or would they prefer (to end their all-too-current absence of) trophies?
Matt Toomua Press Release Status: Very Important.

“Mate, I’ve always wanted to play for (CLUB NAME). It’s heritage. To run out in front of all the (NAME OF CLUB SUPPORTERS). I really want to give my all. It’s not about the money. You’ve got to make sacrifices. I know it’s going to be a challenge being away from Ellyse but my mind is here in (CITY NAME). It’s not about the money. It’s about challenging yourself. Being a role model. I want to make coffee for the boys here at (CLUB NAME) (with its great heritage). It’s great being around boys like (NAME) and (NAME) and (NAME). I know what I’m getting myself into and I’m more than comfortable with the decision. I just love making coffee for the boys. You’ve got to make sacrifices, and it’s not about the money, it’s about the heritage, and being 100% committed to the boys at (NAME OF CLUB). That’s why I insisted on an early release clause in my contract.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

All four of these are key areas for us to strengthen. In each area we’ve lost players, so you assume that leaves cap space to back fill, albeit with some juggling of priorities elsewhere it’s unclear if it will actually be like for like. I do think we can ignore any though, all four need additions from where we currently sit.

Prop - Cortes was squad depth really, so we could afford to look at a project in my opinion. Either a big Pacific Island wrecking ball, or maybe an Eastern European scrummaging beast. I’m sure French second division has plenty of these available on relatively sensible contracts, and it’s a league we’ve done well from before. Development lads within the club maybe need a bit more time and exposure to senior rugby first. If Gigena also doesn’t return, then we have to place more emphasis here. We’re going to get more access to Cole I think, but less access to Genge, so there may need to be a juggling of our LH v TH depth.

Lock - We’ve lost Spencer, who when fit has been a starter, so we need replace with another genuine starter option.

Back Row - We’ve lost Kalamafoni and Thompson, who again when fit have been pretty much banker starters, so we need to replace with other starter options. Brink fools one slot, but still space for another.

Wing/Full Back - Now this is the position in flux. With May & Thompstone going, Nadolo coming in, we’re a man down. Could we fill the gap with development players, maybe, probably easier than doing that on the wing than in the forwards. However, there was apparently a contract on the table for May even after Nadolo was signed, so room to add there still. The bigger issue is of Holmes also leaves. This then very much becomes a key area to recruit, having lost both first choice wingers.

The problem here is we don’t know what implications this current pandemic will have.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Imagine our scrum with Mamukashvili at hooker and a fellow Georgian at loosehead with Cole at tighthead! :smt030 :smt030
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:20 pm All four of these are key areas for us to strengthen. In each area we’ve lost players, so you assume that leaves cap space to back fill, albeit with some juggling of priorities elsewhere it’s unclear if it will actually be like for like. I do think we can ignore any though, all four need additions from where we currently sit.

Prop - Cortes was squad depth really, so we could afford to look at a project in my opinion. Either a big Pacific Island wrecking ball, or maybe an Eastern European scrummaging beast. I’m sure French second division has plenty of these available on relatively sensible contracts, and it’s a league we’ve done well from before. Development lads within the club maybe need a bit more time and exposure to senior rugby first. If Gigena also doesn’t return, then we have to place more emphasis here. We’re going to get more access to Cole I think, but less access to Genge, so there may need to be a juggling of our LH v TH depth.

Lock - We’ve lost Spencer, who when fit has been a starter, so we need replace with another genuine starter option.

Back Row - We’ve lost Kalamafoni and Thompson, who again when fit have been pretty much banker starters, so we need to replace with other starter options. Brink fools one slot, but still space for another.

Wing/Full Back - Now this is the position in flux. With May & Thompstone going, Nadolo coming in, we’re a man down. Could we fill the gap with development players, maybe, probably easier than doing that on the wing than in the forwards. However, there was apparently a contract on the table for May even after Nadolo was signed, so room to add there still. The bigger issue is of Holmes also leaves. This then very much becomes a key area to recruit, having lost both first choice wingers.

The problem here is we don’t know what implications this current pandemic will have.
I think if we are having to operate on a reduced budget the 7th senior prop may be the one to be cut with development players or if we are having an injury hit period a Championship loan used to cover. I doubt Cortes was on much but it would free up some cash from a player that barely ever played for us.

I would hope we are in a position where we are just waiting to announce which senior lock with join. We do need to recruit desperately here. Backrow could be an area where we save some costs and if we've got someone like Batley coming in to provide squad cover at both lock and backrow that could be economically efficient.

Championship or French second division will probably be our raiding ground for back three depth. Much cheaper and there's quality to be found.

Those adjustments would allow us to operate at a slightly cheaper budget for next season.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

GT will be massive for Ealing. I hope he can stay fit.

Best of luck Guy.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:31 pm Imagine our scrum with Mamukashvili at hooker and a fellow Georgian at loosehead with Cole at tighthead! :smt030 :smt030
The 'two foreign players on the pitch at any one time' ruling would be the issue there. Unless either of Mamukashvili or Lavanini hold dual citizenship they will fill that quota between them. There are many loopholes of course (TPN has Tongan heritage, Taufua has Samoan heritage, James Horwill held a british passport, etc) but I'm not sure whether either Mamukashvili or Lavanini fall into those brackets.

There are a lot of very good tier 2 international players that would fit into Tigers squad but the same issue with foreign player quotas would exist. Many playing in France which is interesting with the FFR trying to reduce the number of non FQP in domestic rugby.

Beka Gorgadze, Konstantin Mikautadze and Giorgi Tkhilaishvili from the Georgian pack. German Kessler, Manuel Leindekar and Juan Manual Gaminara from the Uruguay pack. Felipe Berchesi and Juan Manuel Cat from the Uruguay backline as well. Tjiuee Uanivi and Torsten van Jaarsveld of Namibia.

One of the great joys of following tier 2 rugby is getting to view excellent players for the first time with no hype around them. No spin from pundits and YouTube highlights etc. Like popping down to your local club to watch the first XV only at a much higher level!
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:44 pm GT will be massive for Ealing. I hope he can stay fit.

Best of luck Guy.
Has this been confirmed?

From 11 other Premiership teams, he isn’t going to any of them. That’s should tell those thinking us releasing him is a bad idea something.