LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by Scott1 »

We mustn't forget that Bateman has been ill too. At times he probably didnt feel like getting out of bed and washing let alone playing rugby. Hes a top man and a top player and I'm sure when hes feeling at his best he will be back to his best.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:51 pm Reading that Michael Hooper may be heading to the premiership as Aussie players are taking hefty paycuts.
Would love to see him at Tigers even if just for a season, a modern day great
Oh boy what a capture he would be. Can but dream.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:19 pm We mustn't forget that Bateman has been ill too. At times he probably didnt feel like getting out of bed and washing let alone playing rugby. Hes a top man and a top player and I'm sure when hes feeling at his best he will be back to his best.
Well said :smt023
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:05 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:57 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:57 pm Perhaps Bateman should go back to the No 2 shirt
Add some beef to the stock.
Far too much common sense.
Big fan of Greg's but his move to tighthead and latterly loosie was precipitated by his lineout work being really poor. In his few Tigers apps at hooker he made Polota-Nau's darts this season look outstanding. There were calls at one time to only play Bateman at hooker if Harry Thacker was at 7 to throw in.
That proposed tactic could have been excellent for us had it been used more. Bateman was a good scrummager for a hooker and would have meant three big lifters in the lineout. At a time when our rolling maul still worked have the front row all there ready to drive and Thacker ready join at the back ala back should have worked.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:59 am The Yarde rumours seem to have died down, if they were even ever there ? The Holmes RP piece mentions that we're looking for an English wing, potentially.
English qualification is vital as it stands right now looking at the make up of our squad and potential starters/matchday 23.Anyone who does not fall into this category , if brought in, must be of the highest calibre.
The Welsh regions are under massive financial pressure right now (join the club) , I believe casting an eye and making a wish list is all they are capable of , although it must be said that from Leicester's standpoint an extension to the contract of Jonah Holmes (when feasible) would be a good idea.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Jonah Holmes: Leicester's Wales wing set to join Dragons
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52381515
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

speedski wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:39 pm Jonah Holmes: Leicester's Wales wing set to join Dragons
Shame but if he wants caps then he doesn't have a choice
I'm not cynical just experienced
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

speedski wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:39 pm Jonah Holmes: Leicester's Wales wing set to join Dragons
Surprised.Last thing that we needed.Would hope for a quality replacement should the story be correct, althought Joe Browning has great potential and we still have quality options available.
Last edited by kk20gb30 on Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Currently I doubt it.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

The quote at the bottom from BBC radio Leicester doesn't fill me with confidence, to loose both our first choice wingers will be a hammer blow
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I'd predict there will be a few clubs going shopping in the Championship given budgets are coming down.

Jack Spittle and Ryan Hutler would be top of my list for Championship wingers. Dean Adamson has scored tries for fun year after year but is nearly 30 so would only be stop gap.

On the upside we should get to see what some of the development squad are made of in senior rugby.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If Thompstone is off as well we will need to sign at least one experienced winger/back 3, it might be a case for TV going back on the wing.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Egerton mentions making the Hughes move permanent, is this a guy we really want to sign?

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/5 ... -tips/amp/

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dail ... 939498.amp

I am slightly shocked that Holmes might be leaving, I honestly thought he had another year on his contract. Bit of a hammer blow with May also leaving.

Maybe there is truth in the Yarde rumours. Different dimension in having the same back 3 with the team all season.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:42 pm If Thompstone is off as well we will need to sign at least one experienced winger/back 3, it might be a case for TV going back on the wing.
Not a ridiculous suggestion. Worth and Steward obviously both capable at 15 as are SAR and Olowofela to an extent.

Still a fair few options, although a player like Hughes would be welcome, or even a contract extension to Thompstone, who probably has earned the offer of another 12 months at least.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

In one of Smurph's interviews he kinda suggested there were still others to come in. I find it hard to believe we would get rid of two high class wingers if there is no plan in place.
cheers
Rich