LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Pmvl
Top Cat
Top Cat

May to Sale

Post by Pmvl »

I’ve had a message tonight from a friend up in Sale, apparently May is on his way there in a deal which will see Marlon Yarde coming to tigers, looked on our web site but there’s nothing on there, anybody else heard anything?
It would appear the tigers website isn’t being updated very often as there’s still nothing on there regarding Guy Thompson even though it is on the BBC web site.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52189109
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by ABClub »

If May doesn't sign then I'd love a part that wage being used to target a young talent on the wing. The remainder could the be invested in the lock and back row signings we need.

Nabbing Josh Hodge from under Exeter's nose would be a huge steal. Steward, Hodge and Browning would be exceptional talent coming through in the back three.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: May to Sale

Post by RichieB »

Pmvl wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:19 pm I’ve had a message tonight from a friend up in Sale, apparently May is on his way there in a deal which will see Marlon Yarde coming to tigers, looked on our web site but there’s nothing on there, anybody else heard anything?
It would appear the tigers website isn’t being updated very often as there’s still nothing on there regarding Guy Thompson even though it is on the BBC web site.
Is that an essential journey given the lockdown?
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Pmvl wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:19 pm It would appear the tigers website isn’t being updated very often as there’s still nothing on there regarding Guy Thompson even though it is on the BBC web site.
Or that the club and Thompson have not agreed when the news can be officially released or they have and that point has not yet been reached.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Slow news , old news ; honestly think this is nothing more.Interesting however , if I were May I believe I would re-sign with Tigers ending the uncertainty.The ambition of the club and what brought him here still stands .The current climate in contract terms means suitors have to be limited.The longer the wait though the more possible someone will provide that extra 10 % or whatever.Really hope both parties keep talking. Ideally , the last thing we want to do is weaken our squad.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:02 am Slow news , old news ; honestly think this is nothing more.Interesting however , if I were May I believe I would re-sign with Tigers ending the uncertainty.The ambition of the club and what brought him here still stands .The current climate in contract terms means suitors have to be limited.The longer the wait though the more possible someone will provide that extra 10 % or whatever.Really hope both parties keep talking. Ideally , the last thing we want to do is weaken our squad.
Didn't Geordan say he was going to lock him in a room until he re-signs? Not only does this help Tigers but also helps prevent the spread of Covid 19.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

If May wants to leave let him go, he is obviously not committed to Tigers as he was also not committed to Gloucester. His transfer to us was probably because he wanted to win things😂but now has realised we have the worst coach in the premiership and winning trophies isn't going to happen.
Perhaps he thinks he's bigger than the club and wants to be at a club that will be in the mix to win things.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

teds wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:07 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:15 pm I hated playing at Ampthill, standards of pitch, clubhouse and facilities nowhere near championship quality! But that's beside the point, Tigers could have signed Costelow on a 5 year contract to get money from the WRU but the difference with Redpath is that having been snapped by EJ then playing for the U20s it was clear he wanted to play for England not Scotland.

I'm sure Costelow always intended to play for Wales, which I think is the difference.
I am intrigued when you played at Ampthill JP14. Was it on the pitches level with the club house which are only really suitable for mud-wrestling or the two new pitches at the top which are ok if a bit exposed to the elements.
Pitch next to the clubhouse.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:28 pm So Costelow,Thompson,Kalamafoni and now May! One of the brightest potential talents out there and 3 of our best players. Loving the boards work!
The Costelow situation is pretty clear. He's played age grade rugby for Wales, he was always going to be heading back there. He would have been mad to sign a long contract with the club as his value has every chance of skyrocketing in a couple of seasons. And the club would have been mad to offer him a huge, long contract at this stage as he hasn't proven anything at a senior level yet.

Out of interest, would you rather keep the other 3 or spend the money on a decent 12 - which I think is the real missing piece that we've needed for a few seasons now?

I'm not saying that the board will use the money for a 12 but they should :smt002
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

BigDan50 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:54 am If May wants to leave let him go, he is obviously not committed to Tigers as he was also not committed to Gloucester. His transfer to us was probably because he wanted to win things😂but now has realised we have the worst coach in the premiership and winning trophies isn't going to happen.
Perhaps he thinks he's bigger than the club and wants to be at a club that will be in the mix to win things.
I doubt he thinks he’s bigger than the club.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

JP14 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:06 am
teds wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:07 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:15 pm I hated playing at Ampthill, standards of pitch, clubhouse and facilities nowhere near championship quality! But that's beside the point, Tigers could have signed Costelow on a 5 year contract to get money from the WRU but the difference with Redpath is that having been snapped by EJ then playing for the U20s it was clear he wanted to play for England not Scotland.

I'm sure Costelow always intended to play for Wales, which I think is the difference.
I am intrigued when you played at Ampthill JP14. Was it on the pitches level with the club house which are only really suitable for mud-wrestling or the two new pitches at the top which are ok if a bit exposed to the elements.
Pitch next to the clubhouse.
Fair enough, that’s a dreadful pitch. It will be interesting to see what they create at their new site. Last time I was down that way it looked like work had started.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:15 am
Scott1 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:28 pm So Costelow,Thompson,Kalamafoni and now May! One of the brightest potential talents out there and 3 of our best players. Loving the boards work!
The Costelow situation is pretty clear. He's played age grade rugby for Wales, he was always going to be heading back there. He would have been mad to sign a long contract with the club as his value has every chance of skyrocketing in a couple of seasons. And the club would have been mad to offer him a huge, long contract at this stage as he hasn't proven anything at a senior level yet.

Out of interest, would you rather keep the other 3 or spend the money on a decent 12 - which I think is the real missing piece that we've needed for a few seasons now?

I'm not saying that the board will use the money for a 12 but they should :smt002
Next summer for the new 12. Taute, Eastmond and Reid will all have contracts up for renewal then. No point signing another centre now when we have so much cap tied up in that position already. The only exception to that might be if Viljoen goes and we use his salary for a project player.

Second row is due a big signing, either May or another winger then maybe a backrow. I'd expect those three positions to be the major spend plus hopefully bringing in Batley.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Pmvl wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:19 pm...which will see Marlon Yarde coming to tigers...
Aaaaarrgghh!!! - compared to May a much weaker defender, less pace and lashes up more than he finishes. We need to keep progressing not regressing.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Pmvl wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:19 pm I’ve had a message tonight from a friend up in Sale, apparently May is on his way there in a deal which will see Marlon Yarde coming to tigers, looked on our web site but there’s nothing on there, anybody else heard anything?
He wouldn’t be allowed to travel at present. It has been reported that Yarde has agreed a new deal with Sale.

Tigers do tend to make announcements of incomings and outgoings in blocks so will wait till there is something else.
He is definitely off as the news was in a newspaper article that he put his name to
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:17 am
BigDan50 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:54 am If May wants to leave let him go, he is obviously not committed to Tigers as he was also not committed to Gloucester. His transfer to us was probably because he wanted to win things😂but now has realised we have the worst coach in the premiership and winning trophies isn't going to happen.
I doubt he thinks he’s bigger than the club.
I doubt he is the best thinker full stop. I watch him and his girlfriend/fiance shop in the Market Harborough B and M and he was all over the place and the look on his G/F's face was a joy to behold - she seemed totally bemused by his shopping style - 100 mph in any direction his brain took him - a bit like he plays rugby. I said to her "does he enjoy shopping?" she replied "he's a nightmare!". Having said all that I really hope he re-signs for us on a 2 year contract with a possible joint testimonial in 3 years time. Will it happen? I don't think so
Hehehehehehehehe