LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by JP14 »

I hated playing at Ampthill, standards of pitch, clubhouse and facilities nowhere near championship quality! But that's beside the point, Tigers could have signed Costelow on a 5 year contract to get money from the WRU but the difference with Redpath is that having been snapped by EJ then playing for the U20s it was clear he wanted to play for England not Scotland.

I'm sure Costelow always intended to play for Wales, which I think is the difference.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The thing with Costelow is that we will know he got his start with us, but he has been playing above his age with Wales for sometime so it's not a surprise he was on their radar, did he only come here for education reasons? I wish him good luck if for no other reason that he looks like he might be fun to watch a team run by him. If we didn't have a top notch 10 on our books in might hurt more, keeping Reffell might be a better bet longterm.

On the back row I would suggest we need at least one more experienced player in the squad, I do worry about Brinks fitness, but I have no real problem with Thompson & Kali leaving.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I'm upset with Costelow leaving but the WRU seem to have offered him assurances he wouldn't get at Tigers. He looked ready for senior rugby this season and I wouldn't be surprised if he's starting for Scarlets by mid-season next year.

At the same time the regions often see players stall with them due to the inconsistent nature of the Pro14. Youngsters can get game time but often in very weakened teams with few senior players alongside or opposite them, hence limiting development. I still hope to see Sam back at Tigers during his career.
On the back row I would suggest we need at least one more experienced player in the squad, I do worry about Brinks fitness, but I have no real problem with Thompson & Kali leaving.
Thompson for Brink would be a calculated gamble given both have had injuries recently but Brink is younger and arguably has room for improvement. Brink for Kalamafoni would worry me a lot as Kala signed for a pretty big contract by most accounts. Brink could be a good singing but as always only if it's at the right wage.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I think we’re still 4 or 5 players short, just based on filling the gaps of departures.

A new prop to replace Cortes. Admittedly he didn’t play that much, and with Cole now likely to be available more often, probably doesn’t need to be a big name player. Perhaps a project player from Pacific Islands or French second division.

A new starting lock to replace Spencer. Alemanno and Orie rumours suggest we are/were looking. Spencer’s wage should cover what we want. Batley has done Ok, but I’d be looking for someone with a bit more instant impact. I like the look of Mikautadze who I think is coming out of contract.

Another back row player. Either 7 or 8, depending on where we expect to see Brink and Taufua used most. With Kalamafoni and Thompson gone, and only Brink known to be onboard so far, must be room to add a decent calibre player.

An additional outside back. There was suggestion we’re looking to go with power and one wing and pace on the other. Nadolo is out only power winger. Think we need to add another power carrier if that’s the plan. Alternatively another fullback option if we want to use Veianu on the wing more. Are we covered at 13 enough, depends on Viljoen staying as backup maybe.

As an aside, if May signs on reduced terms and Thompstone goes, does that cover Nadolo’s wage Equally, if the rumour is Mamukashvili is on less than TPN, then we have room to juggle elsewhere in the squad, allowing for the possibility that reduced terms of the Youngs brothers covers for Genge and Ford increases.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:23 pmAs an aside, if May signs on reduced terms and Thompstone goes, does that cover Nadolo’s wage Equally, would the possible reduced terms of the Youngs brothers cover for Genge and Ford increases.
Impossible to know for sure but Toms reduced contract would likely cover the Genge increase. I've heard from a few people that Nadolo hasn't broken the bank as he would have a few years ago and Thompstone last re-signed whilst a starter. Ford has had a big pay rise but will be first marquee next season replacing Manu. Hence the salary cap just needs to fit the difference between Ford's current contract and Manu's current contract (circa £100k difference from rumours).

I'd use Osman Dimen and Keston Lines to cover as 4th choice props in emergency. Both are talented and Leatigaga being able to cover both sides well give us flexibility.

Similar with 13. I'm happy for Worth and Aspland-Robinson to cover there with Steward and Browning coming in to cover the wing. The later two are huge talents.

I'll admit I always ere on the side of giving youngsters a chance filling out squad depth though.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Steward, Law and Browning sign new deals.

Wonder if it means they all had one new contracts? If so do all the U18’s grads have them? And again if we better announce at least Whitcombe, Martin and JVP.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:23 pm
BFG wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:07 pm
Mark62 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:50 am

Usual :censored: when you can’t provide a logical answer. The chance of being capped trumps everything.
And you haven’t answered the point about Zach Henry, a proven play maker yet
Zach Henry is another new player, he might be a good player and we will see, but once again continuity will not be present.
Continuity is very important.
People blame coaching but constant mass changing of playing staff doesn't help and particularly in key positions.
On Costelow, Leicester clearly did not do it's best to look most attractive, given that Reid was preferred whilst Costelow was playing at Ampthill on a contract that was coming to an end!
Murphy would have been slaughtered on here if he'd selected Costelow at 10 at the start of the season instead of Reid. The comments would have been "what's the point in signing the former Irish international..." and "shirt should be earned" . I suspect some "throwing the young lad to the lions" and "no thought for development" would have also followed. Probably some of it by you.

One of the best bits from Murphy this season has been the development plan he's put into place for each development squad player. Lots have gone out on loan to the Championship or lower leagues to build themselves up. Some European outings alongside the A league to further gain experience. It was a well thought out development plan. Costelow got given more exposure than others he graduated the academy with in light of his undoubted ability. If he didn't like the fact the club were prepared to put in a development path to the first team for him than he can try and jump the queue over in Wales.

Having said all that, long term contracts out of the academy for our best and brightest should be the norm. Three year deals to take them up to 21. A one year deal was not a good idea. Unless of course it's the only thing Costelow would sign in which case that could have been a reason he wasn't advanced even quicker on his development plan.
Like others you miss the point.
We are currently talking about Costelow but it could be any number of names over the past few seasons.
Indecision follows Leicester around.
A club can't keep contributing to it's own player merry go round and expect to have settled playing systems in place in defence and attack.
Leicester have become a lower standard of Baa Baas.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

BFG wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:18 am
BFG wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:07 pm

Zach Henry is another new player, he might be a good player and we will see, but once again continuity will not be present.
Continuity is very important.
People blame coaching but constant mass changing of playing staff doesn't help and particularly in key positions.
On Costelow, Leicester clearly did not do it's best to look most attractive, given that Reid was preferred whilst Costelow was playing at Ampthill on a contract that was coming to an end!
Murphy would have been slaughtered on here if he'd selected Costelow at 10 at the start of the season instead of Reid. The comments would have been "what's the point in signing the former Irish international..." and "shirt should be earned" . I suspect some "throwing the young lad to the lions" and "no thought for development" would have also followed. Probably some of it by you.

One of the best bits from Murphy this season has been the development plan he's put into place for each development squad player. Lots have gone out on loan to the Championship or lower leagues to build themselves up. Some European outings alongside the A league to further gain experience. It was a well thought out development plan. Costelow got given more exposure than others he graduated the academy with in light of his undoubted ability. If he didn't like the fact the club were prepared to put in a development path to the first team for him than he can try and jump the queue over in Wales.

Having said all that, long term contracts out of the academy for our best and brightest should be the norm. Three year deals to take them up to 21. A one year deal was not a good idea. Unless of course it's the only thing Costelow would sign in which case that could have been a reason he wasn't advanced even quicker on his development plan.
We are currently talking about Costelow but it could be any number of names over the past few seasons.
A club can't keep contributing to it's own player merry go round and expect to have settled playing systems in place in defence and attack.
Do you ever go to the fans forums to share your knowledge? I’m sure they’d love your expertise and they may even offer you a job!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:23 am

Do you ever go to the fans forums to share your knowledge? I’m sure they’d love your expertise and they may even offer you a job!
If they need my help via a fans forum then they are in real trouble!
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

BFG wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:50 am

At least you realise that. That was my point. They know better than any of us otherwise we’d be doing their job wouldn’t we?!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:02 pm
BFG wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:50 am

At least you realise that. That was my point. They know better than any of us otherwise we’d be doing their poor job wouldn’t we?!
Corrected that for you.
We'd be made to look as poor as the man before and the man after.
There is no one magical coach and player appointment.
The Jackson Wray's and Brad Barritt's are as important as the Maro Itoje's and Owen Farrell's.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG has a point but I would argue the likes of Wasps' squad turnaround has been worse than ours, the reason they have been only slightly better than us in the last two seasons is the availability of quality players all year round and a more experienced coaching team, then there's also the dead cat bounce following Young's departure.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

What's the point of going there,the questions are all plants! And you post the minutes for us anyway ""Tigerboy""😉
Last edited by Scott1 on Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Don’t know if this has been mentioned but Steward, Browning and Law have all agreed new deals as per twitter
Swagger

Post by Swagger »