LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by POSTIGER »

happywomble wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:39 pm Rumoured leavers - Viljeon, McPhillips, Thomas - Didnt these three all join last season so would have thought they would be on more than a year contract?
I know that every signing is a gamble to some extent (e.g. Matt Toomua doing his knee 10 mins into his debut) but these three really did look like 'punt' signings and have never really looked good enough. Reid has been pretty average too.

Let's hope this year's recruitment is considerably more successful.

Shame about Guy Thompson, terrific player. On a purely business level it's perhaps the right call but we would be in the Championship without Guy.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

I know this has been picked over in the hundreds of previous posts, but I just wanted to vent my own opinion.

Unless Guy Thompson has serious injury problems meaning that he has a very dubious future as a player, I cannot for the life of me wonder why he has been released. Over the last two seasons he has consistently been one of our best forwards and on many occasions looked to be the most committed player on the pitch, in what have been difficult times. I disagree with some that say it must be a business decision, as there are worse players in the squad which I suspect are on more money than him.

I really did think that the club were putting right the recruitment mistakes of the past, but this really worries me. If we are bringing in Brink to replace a proven outstanding player, it is a massive gamble, which we could live to regret.

I know I’m probably going to get criticism from a few on this forum. Well you don’t know the details and what’s gone on behind closed doors etc., which is true, but whatever has happened, it should have been worked out and the club should have done everything to get him a contract which it would for other senior players. From what I’ve heard though (and how much of it is true, I don’t know) the club have just told him to do one. If this is true, I’m utterly disgusted and for the first time in 32 years, I feel ashamed to be a Tigers supporter.
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

Guy Thompson quoted as’ it having a bad word to say’ about Geordan Murphy
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

Correction:

‘Not a bad word to say about.......’
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

rich1576 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:49 pm I know this has been picked over in the hundreds of previous posts, but I just wanted to vent my own opinion.

Unless Guy Thompson has serious injury problems meaning that he has a very dubious future as a player, I cannot for the life of me wonder why he has been released. Over the last two seasons he has consistently been one of our best forwards and on many occasions looked to be the most committed player on the pitch, in what have been difficult times. I disagree with some that say it must be a business decision, as there are worse players in the squad which I suspect are on more money than him.

I really did think that the club were putting right the recruitment mistakes of the past, but this really worries me. If we are bringing in Brink to replace a proven outstanding player, it is a massive gamble, which we could live to regret.

I know I’m probably going to get criticism from a few on this forum. Well you don’t know the details and what’s gone on behind closed doors etc., which is true, but whatever has happened, it should have been worked out and the club should have done everything to get him a contract which it would for other senior players. From what I’ve heard though (and how much of it is true, I don’t know) the club have just told him to do one. If this is true, I’m utterly disgusted and for the first time in 32 years, I feel ashamed to be a Tigers supporter.
Knowing our board it's another blunder!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

I agree that Thompson has given his all to Tigers, however, you have to take a number of things into account such as age, who we have coming through the academy, which many fans keep banging on about and what replacement is coming in.

We keep hearing people say, would Sarries and Exeter sign X player? Will this player get us in to the top 4? Well, to look at it another way, will Exeter, Sarries or a top 4 team sign Thompson? No disrespect but I doubt it.

Thanks to Guy Thompson for his contribution over the past couple of seasons and good luck to him in the future.
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:15 pm I agree that Thompson has given his all to Tigers, however, you have to take a number of things into account such as age, who we have coming through the academy, which many fans keep banging on about and what replacement is coming in.

We keep hearing people say, would Sarries and Exeter sign X player? Will this player get us in to the top 4? Well, to look at it another way, will Exeter, Sarries or a top 4 team sign Thompson? No disrespect but I doubt it.

Thanks to Guy Thompson for his contribution over the past couple of seasons and good luck to him in the future.
How many players in our squad can you honestly say would be signed by Exeter, Sarries or a top 4 team?
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

rich1576 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:40 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:15 pm I agree that Thompson has given his all to Tigers, however, you have to take a number of things into account such as age, who we have coming through the academy, which many fans keep banging on about and what replacement is coming in.

How many players in our squad can you honestly say would be signed by Exeter, Sarries or a top 4 team?
Genge, Cole, Lavanini, taufau, white, Youngs, Ford, Manu, May, TV would for most.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:05 pm

Genge, Cole, Lavanini, taufau, white, Youngs, Ford, Manu, May, TV would for most.
Tuilagi another
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

White????? He could be very good but hes not at that level yet. BY is past his best too but I know you've always been a big fan
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:22 pm White????? He could be very good but hes not at that level yet. BY is past his best too but I know you've always been a big fan
Think most clubs would want to sign one of the best young 9s in the country given a chance particularly as there aren’t many around
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Hypothetically of course, believe that there would be many takers for Ben White - based on potential and the improvement shown in his game during the (curtailed) season thus far.
A long way to go however - but could be another Ellis in the making :smt023 .
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

If that’s the case, why is one of our best players in May reportedly going to Gloucester. Not exactly top 4
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Because it’s his home club, who could offer him a decent wage, Gloucester might have been 9th but last season they were 3rd. I think you’re looking at this too black-and-white.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:12 pm

Tuilagi another
Does he have a twin?

If there are that many players that would be signed by a top 4 team why are Leicester in 11th for the second season running?