LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by ABClub »

I was impressed with the recruitment for this season, particularly in the forwards. Lavanini, Liebenberg and Taufua are excellent additions in areas we needed them. Leatigaga has been strong as well, in the loose and scrummaging on both sides.

I'm hopeful about the rumours/signings for next season.

Mumukashvili is one of the two most underrated hookers in international rugby. With German Kessler being the other. God I'd love Tigers to sign Kessler as well.

Nadolo basically scores a try a game in Pro rugby. I wouldn't be surprised if he scores 10+ Prem tries next season. Even if he offers less all round game than he did when younger that will be invaluable to a side that lacks structure in attack. When we get it in the opposition 22 players like Nadolo and Telusa become invaluable.

Orie or Alemanno would be a step-up partnering Lavanini. Our line-out locks are a big weakness where most Prem sides have strengthened over the last few years. I rate Spencer but both those guys are better players in my opinion.

Similar to Kessler I'd love Tigers to look at Manuel Leindekar. An excellent lock for Uruguay who shone in the RWC.

At number 8 it's been rumoured that Beka Gorgadze might move on from Bordeaux with more French players having to be picked in Top 14 matchday 23s. He'd fit into Tigers back row brilliantly alongside Liebenberg and Taufua.

There's always good players available if you have cap space. With lots of high paid forwards past their prime coming out of contract Tigers should have that cap space.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Traveller wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:54 am What we need are.
English players between the age of 22-29, who aren't anywhere near good enough to be called up for international duty, who haven't been injured before, who haven't played for Barf, Saints or Quins, who aren't coming to top up their pension.
So - that's just Owen Farrell and Elliot Daly then?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Lol @ Traveller and Strawclearer.

:smt038
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:01 am
Traveller wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:54 am What we need are.
English players between the age of 22-29, who aren't anywhere near good enough to be called up for international duty, who haven't been injured before, who haven't played for Barf, Saints or Quins, who aren't coming to top up their pension.
So - that's just Owen Farrell and Elliot Daly then?
Unfortunately you haven't read the regulations keenly enough.

Daly obviously falls foul of Clause 6 and also Clause 7 (it is implicit when referencing 'Barf, Saints, Quins rejects' that Wasps are included)
Farrell is a non starter because of Clause 7. If language considerations include French, Italian and Scottish players, they obviously included anyone from 'Up North'.

However the DPRP Desirable Player Recruitment Profile has now been honed, not least to include the very helpful amendment from ABClub Consultants.

Leicester Tigers DPRP

English players between the age of 22-29, who aren't anywhere near good enough to be called up for international duty, who haven't been injured before, who haven't played for other clubs such as Barf et al, who aren't coming to top up their pension, and a smattering (15 to be precise) of huge and brilliantly talented, cheap, Polynesian players, that other clubs haven't spotted.

Off you go Mr McGinty.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Traveller wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:54 am
anz3001 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:19 pm
RichieB wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:58 pm

He is already a favourite of mine - I am a season ticket holder and supporter of many years. I can't wait to see him in action. If he stays fit and healthy I simply don't care how old he is. Am I right in thinking it is only a 2 year contract anyway?
I think he’s that old, he may not be able to fulfil such a term. >30yo rugby players are spent and therefore should be euthanised at their first contract renewal post turning 30. :censored: geriatrics stealing valuable cap space.

Agreed.

1) we don't want any players over the age of 30. They should be 'sleeping with the fishes.'
2) We don't want any player under the age of 21 because they are too young and inexperienced. They should only be allowed to sell programmes.
3) We don't want any current England Internationals because they will never be available to play.
4. We don't want any Salarycens players on one year loans.
5. We don't wan't any SH journeymen.
6. We don't want any players who have been previously injured.
7. We don't want any Barf, Saints, Quins rejects.
8. We don't want any French or Italian (or Scottish) players because there will be language problems.
9. Welsh, Irish or Scottish players because if they are good enough to play international rugby their regions will want them.
9. We don't want any SH players looking to 'top up their pension'.

What we need are.
But at the same time we should also sign every single decent player because letting another team sign any good players would be a failure of monumental proportions. We must have them all.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:18 am I'm not sure why people are so sure he's past his best, 53 tries in 68 games is a great record, especially in the Top14
As long as there is no over relience on him then he will be a top signing.
As a finisher he could be a great signing.
If he is expected to smash Leicester into a play off place singlehanded then injury and a lack of plan B may well be exposed instead of a play off place.
Backs are very important but forwards and tactics still win and lose matches in my opinion.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:19 pm
anz3001 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:19 pm

I think he’s that old, he may not be able to fulfil such a term. >30yo rugby players are spent and therefore should be euthanised at their first contract renewal post turning 30. :censored: geriatrics stealing valuable cap space.

Agreed.

1) we don't want any players over the age of 30. They should be 'sleeping with the fishes.'
2) We don't want any player under the age of 21 because they are too young and inexperienced. They should only be allowed to sell programmes.
3) We don't want any current England Internationals because they will never be available to play.
8. We don't want any French or Italian (or Scottish) players because there will be language problems.
9. Welsh, Irish or Scottish players because if they are good enough to play international rugby their regions will want them.

What we need are.
But at the same time we should also sign every single decent player because letting another team sign any good players would be a failure of monumental proportions. We must have them all.
This is becoming a full time job, but if it helps the cause and we return to winning ways it will have been worth the effort.

WE DON’T WANT

1) Any players over the age of 30. They should be 'sleeping with the fishes.'
2) To play any player under the age of 21. They are too inexperienced. They should only sell programmes.
3) Any current England Internationals because they will never be available to play.
4. Any Salarycens players on one-year loans (because they will steal all our coaching secrets)
5. Any SH journeymen.
6. Any player who has previously been injured.
7. Any rejects from Barf, Saints, Quins, Wasps et al.
8. Any players from France, Italy, Scottishland, ‘Up North’ language problems will undermine team cohesion.
9. Any Welsh, Irish or Scottish players because if they are good their regions will want them back.
10. Any SH players looking to 'top up their pension'.
11. Any other team signing any good players that fall into categories 1-10. That would just be stupid.
12. Any good Tigers player to leave to play for another club. If they leave they must go to jail – do not pass go.

3rd Draft DPRP Desirable Player Recruitment Profile including helpful insights from ABClub Consultants & Tiglon Consulting .

Leicester Tigers DPRP

English players between the age of 22-29, who aren't anywhere near good enough to be called up for international duty, who haven't been injured before, who haven't played for any other clubs such as Barf et al, who aren't coming to top up their pension, and a smattering (15 to be precise) of huge and brilliantly talented, cheap, Polynesian players, that other clubs haven't spotted, and a number of warehouses / cold storage facilities to store the players we don't use - all within the salary cap.

Off you go Mr McGinty.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:41 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:18 am I'm not sure why people are so sure he's past his best, 53 tries in 68 games is a great record, especially in the Top14
As long as there is no over relience on him then he will be a top signing.
As a finisher he could be a great signing.
If he is expected to smash Leicester into a play off place singlehanded then injury and a lack of plan B may well be exposed instead of a play off place.
Backs are very important but forwards and tactics still win and lose matches in my opinion.
Forwards win matches, backs decide by how much. I think part of the problem this season is that the backs aren't putting enough points on the board when the opportunities are there. That home game Vs Exeter for example.

With Borthwick in charge and a pack of;

Genge, Kerr, Cole
Lavanini, Green
Taufua, Reffell, Liebenburg

You'd expect us to match most teams up front. A functioning lineout will transform this side for starters. Scrum is still one of the best in the league. There will be another forward or two joining before long as well which might make that pack look better.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

If you'd like to take a look at Zach Henry - Tigers' new fly-half recruit for next season, this evening's Biarritz v Nevers match is being streamed on : https://rugbystreams.me/
Semper in excretia
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Agreed.

What we need are.
I bet the shopkeeper used to keep a keen eye on you making up a 10p mix!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I think it's more simple than this.

'We' don't want anyone that the club signs as they're clearly not good enough.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:47 pm
tigerssteve wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:25 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:04 am Nadolo deal is rumoured to be £240k and a 2 year deal. Not bad for a player of his quality on the wing. I imagine May will have been offered something similar.
Sounds too much to me for a player four years past his best.
I don't know where you'd find that size and try scoring ability for less. The PI monsters who can play rugby aren't just waiting to be discovered anymore there's scouts over there picking them up from an early age.

His try scoring record is ridiculous and so is his skillset. Having him causing absolute carnage every time he gets the ball flat from Ford will be great to watch. Potential fan favourite, worth the gamble of signing a back at 32.
I'm just tucking into my humble pie because I now realise that the last three or four years have turned me into a cynical grumpy old git. Bring him on!!!!
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

tigerssteve wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:20 am
sam16111986 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:47 pm
tigerssteve wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:25 am

Sounds too much to me for a player four years past his best.
I don't know where you'd find that size and try scoring ability for less. The PI monsters who can play rugby aren't just waiting to be discovered anymore there's scouts over there picking them up from an early age.

His try scoring record is ridiculous and so is his skillset. Having him causing absolute carnage every time he gets the ball flat from Ford will be great to watch. Potential fan favourite, worth the gamble of signing a back at 32.
I'm just tucking into my humble pie because I now realise that the last three or four years have turned me into a cynical grumpy old git. Bring him on!!!!
To be fair you do have reason to be cynical / grumpy. I play Jerome Schuster and raise you Joe Ford.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Furthermore, the last few years have been pretty bleak in terms of the senior squad at least. Anxiety and frustration, even anger sometimes and suddenly we are in danger of not being able to recognise the potential for a good thing to happen.
We are clearly still a long way short of being able to compete with the top clubs in Europe, even given the unlevel salary cap playing field. Still, it is nice to be able to pick up the occasional positives such as Tafua, Liebenberg, the youngsters coming through. I'm sure there are others I've missed.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

RichieB wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:34 am Furthermore, the last few years have been pretty bleak in terms of the senior squad at least. Anxiety and frustration, even anger sometimes and suddenly we are in danger of not being able to recognise the potential for a good thing to happen.
We are clearly still a long way short of being able to compete with the top clubs in Europe, even given the unlevel salary cap playing field. Still, it is nice to be able to pick up the occasional positives such as Tafua, Liebenberg, the youngsters coming through. I'm sure there are others I've missed.
Agreed.