LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

What was the length of McPhillips deal? Just noting the wording of the Henry announcement, it says for the 20/21 season, not from. 1 year deal?
Ford, Hardwick and Henry covering 10 next year with Hardwick also able to slot in at 12, and Henry slated to be also comfortable at fullback. Prefer to see Reid stay at 12 and make the shirt his own, having a playmaking 10/12 axis, with more explosive players outside like Manu/Taute at 13, May/Holmes/Nadolo? on the wings and Veianu at 15. Scope for Viljoen and Worth to cover 13/15? With Steward and Olowofela also covering back 3.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=longlivethecrumbie post_id=737008 time=1582624195 user_id=9597]
[quote=fentiger post_id=737006 time=1582623552 user_id=7812]
[quote=RagingBull post_id=737005 time=1582623365 user_id=10459]
Zack Henry confirmed.
[/quote]

A bit of quality depth, one hopes?
[/quote]

I know you shouldn't read too much into a highlights reel, but, his highlights reel on YouTube does look good. He's carved out a decent career for himself in France. Will be interested to see how he does in red, green and white.
[/quote]

Agreed! He is a 'project' player with some experience. He's an EQP, and he looks to have a big boot -a 'leftie' too.
We picked up a pretty useful winger from the ProD2 in the past... here's hoping.....
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Seems to be popcorn days are on Tuesdays, so wouldn’t surprise me if the other big signings will be made next week on the 3rd. Try and appease the fans before the forum.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

How many Welshmen have left the club and done well? Recent examples don't exactly bode well for Reffell and Costelow.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:50 pm How many Welshmen have left the club and done well? Recent examples don't exactly bode well for Reffell and Costelow.
That was my point when saying Scarlets has been a graveyard of young talent in the past, indeed players coming from English clubs can be left on the margins too often. Mind you, I am biased against Scarlets, their supporters in the Sospan days were semi-feral.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:58 am
sam16111986 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:01 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:17 pm Archie Vanes is a long way off but a very promising hooker, Jaco Visagie who played for Gloucester on loan last season is someone that fits Mark’s warhog description.
Kyle Cooper is a bit of a Bok unit and tended to look good in a losing effort for Falcons. He's on loan at Chiefs until the end of the season. Knows the league and there's no awkward Super Rugby contract to see out first.

I've said it before I'd take Woolstencroft from Sarries. He was excellent against is earlier in the season.

I'm sure there's some other options from Super Rugby ready to be enticed north as well.
Cooper is excellent but I believe he’s injured, not really seen him much for Chiefs and I think Visagie is younger.
Visagie is younger. Cooper is a more known quantity in the league and having been at Exeter might be able to pass on some tips. Either would be good solid additions.
kk20gb30 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:25 am Surprised but glad re Hardwick ; thought he put pen to paper long term last season.
Probably a two year deal last season. As he's stepped up a bit the club are probably being pragmatic and extending the deal a bit longer for a slight pay increase rather than risk him advancing and then be tempted away by more money this time next year.

Like the sound of the Henry signing. He seems to have the skills and experience to offer us something different and at good value. Hopefully he turns out to be an astute a signing as it appears.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Knew Costelow and Thomas were leaving, was hoping though Reffell might stay. Wales are stacked in the backrow and Thomas Young has shown you can play in the premiership and be successful.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would disagree, Young is Welsh capped but it was nowhere near the current setup and only has a few caps (2/3 I think). It’s a stupid rule Gatland’s Law, and it should only really apply to players outside of the Isles and it’s far from saved the Regions from the brink.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:15 pm I would disagree, Young is Welsh capped but it was nowhere near the current setup and only has a few caps (2/3 I think). It’s a stupid rule Gatland’s Law, and it should only really apply to players outside of the Isles and it’s far from saved the Regions from the brink.
Gatland's Law existed insofar as he wished it to, and also chimed with the insular, uber-nationalistic bent of some of WRU. One of the defining talents of the WRU from the days of the Big Three selectors was the ability to mess up a promising talent or situation due to their blinkers (I worked with one of them in Swansea).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

https://twitter.com/adamjwhitty/status/ ... 6865954816

Good news about Reffell.

Adam Whitty
@adamjwhitty
Just got some clarification on this.

Club say Tommy Reffell is not out of contract, and is going nowhere.

The situation for Sam Costelow is less certain, and he is out of contract at the end of the season.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:01 am https://twitter.com/adamjwhitty/status/ ... 6865954816

Good news about Reffell.

Adam Whitty
@adamjwhitty
Just got some clarification on this.

Club say Tommy Reffell is not out of contract, and is going nowhere.

The situation for Sam Costelow is less certain, and he is out of contract at the end of the season.
Really hope that this latest news puts the Tom Reffell situation to bed.Top prospect , the type of talent you build your future around.Great news.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Reffell is a great prospect for us but there are a lot of established Welsh back rowers. I'd say he's a long way off international recognition yet.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

According to rugby pass looks like if we were to get singleton it would be only for a year long loan, which doesn't sit well with me as I'd like a player who is fully committed to the club for a longer future, than just a year who can then jump ship if things are not going his way at the end of the season.

However still looks like Isekwe and Lozowski are still up for grabs for permanent deals in terms of negotiation?
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Richardfje wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:41 pm According to rugby pass looks like if we were to get singleton it would be only for a year long loan, which doesn't sit well with me as I'd like a player who is fully committed to the club for a longer future, than just a year who can then jump ship if things are not going his way at the end of the season.

However still looks like Isekwe and Lozowski are still up for grabs for permanent deals in terms of negotiation?
It wouldn’t be because things aren’t going his way at the end of next season, it is because things aren’t going well now. He obviously doesn’t want to play Championship Rugby next season so wants to join a Premiership club for one season and then make his way back to Saracens when they are back in the Premiership.

As you say though, if that’s what he wants, then let him go elsewhere for a season.