Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Dai on his way! - now departed.

Post by Noggs »

'...Dai Young is taking a step back from first team duties...'

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport ... g-17726902

This 'interim' position is odd to say the least but his going is perhaps not a surprise. Personally I have always admired him as a rough diamond, perhaps similar in many ways to Cockers.

On the upside I suspect the change coming as it does just before their visit to WR can only be seen as a positive for Tigers :smt041
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Dai on his way!

Post by RagingBull »

I mean dead cat bounce is a thing (Tigers should know that) and could well happen against Tigers.

Interim might suggest either personal reasons, or waiting on something
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

My guess is that he's exhausted and needs a break. I have always liked Dai Young: his honesty and the way he wears his heart on his sleeve. With all the uncertainty about the future at Wasps, the financial position and the throughput of "star" players, it wouldn't be surprising if, after 9 years, he was worn out.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Has it really been 9 years since he took over, where did that go! With all that the club's been through in that time he can hold his head up for having kept it all together, though I imagine he'll always have regrets for what might have been. It will be interesting to see who they bring in.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Ian McGeechan once said "the closer you get to a rugby pitch the more honest people become", meaning that on the pitch opinions and talk count for nothing. You either make the tackle and catch the high ball or you don't.

Whilst I'm an expert with a drink in my hand and a laptop, Day Young never seems to have strayed far from the very muddiest part of a rugby pitch.

Rugby through and through. Great man.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

It's not clear yet whether he is actually leaving the club.

I suspect his main skill set is in hands on coaching so I doubt he is going to be 'elevated' to a DoR type role. If he does leave I can't see him at the benefits office for long :smt001
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Maybe he is not very well, and just having a break.. more to it than meets the eye ?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rumours are Rob Howley could be coming in. Unsure whether that would be as a direct replacement or not. Would be a downgrade if it is a straight swap.

Odd for Dai to take a step back now with Wasps in the predicament they are, then again they can't get relegated.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:04 pm Rumours are Rob Howley could be coming in. Unsure whether that would be as a direct replacement or not. Would be a downgrade if it is a straight swap.

Odd for Dai to take a step back now with Wasps in the predicament they are, then again they can't get relegated.
Howley is, I believe coming in, but can't start until June!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Go on then I’ll do it....Howley 4/1 to take over.
simoscribbler
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by simoscribbler »

An old school rugby man. Showed his true colours when Wasps were teetering. Hope we see him back in the game.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Jacko27 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:13 pm My guess is that he's exhausted and needs a break. I have always liked Dai Young: his honesty and the way he wears his heart on his sleeve. With all the uncertainty about the future at Wasps, the financial position and the throughput of "star" players, it wouldn't be surprising if, after 9 years, he was worn out.
He always looks stressed. I hope he is ok, and look forward to his return in due course. He is a proper rugby person.
Valhalla I am coming!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Great bloke and very good coach. Wasps have played superbly in the last 3 games and as always will come on Saturday expecting to win. They struggled at the beginning of the season due to a lot of injuries.
Hope Dai is soon back in the game.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Can't see him working for any other club than Wasps.Genuine guy, wish him well.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

The Times reports that Dai has been stood down as a result of differences of opinion about the money available to improve the squad. The club is in a financial position that does not allow it to sack Dai and pay his redundancy. The announcement shocked the players.

Wasps have staggered from financial crisis to financial crisis for years, and here it goes again!
Valhalla I am coming!