Dai on his way! - now departed.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Dai on his way!

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:42 am I mean dead cat bounce is a thing (Tigers should know that) and could well happen against Tigers.

Interim might suggest either personal reasons, or waiting on something
I can’t see it being a dead cat bounce in this scenario, Young was a popular coach and I doubt Wasps’ misfortune is down to him, so his departure or “stepping back” is unlikely to inspire the squad. As others have said this has hit Wasps more than anything else.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Hope he is well.Hope it is not because of one of the following......
Is there a report on Salary caps forthcoming.?
Is the club being liquidated ?
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

wellstiger wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:44 am Hope he is well.Hope it is not because of one of the following......
......and could there be a link between the first point and Wasps seemingly "letting go" quite a few of their better ( more expensive ) players recently.
As Good As It Gets
cheltexile

Post by cheltexile »

Wasps are in quite a significant financial hole, much more so than most people realise...
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

cheltexile wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:22 pm Wasps are in quite a significant financial hole, much more so than most people realise...
JGRIFFIN, amongst others, have raised this regularly on various threads. It'll come as no surprise to many, I would think.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Scuttle wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:54 pm
wellstiger wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:44 am Hope he is well.Hope it is not because of one of the following......
......and could there be a link between the first point and Wasps seemingly "letting go" quite a few of their better ( more expensive ) players recently.
Am I in the minority here? Who's been let go? I went to the Wasps site and they don't even have anything on there about Dai leaving 'temporarily'.

Was only talking with a Wasps fan today who was saying the £1m marquee fly half has been an abject failure for them and only recently has Fekitoa shown signs of what he brings - as a fan he was frustrated such a quality group was failing so consistently to deliver. I wonder if the situation with Wasps suddenly looking to have CCFC play there again is out of money desperation more than anything. After all the marketing around the Ricoh and the events it hosts is bringing in more money than the rugby.

Seems to be quite the mess...
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:29 pm
cheltexile wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:22 pm Wasps are in quite a significant financial hole, much more so than most people realise...
JGRIFFIN, amongst others, have raised this regularly on various threads. It'll come as no surprise to many, I would think.
Cheers mate. :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Is there any news on the new training facilities that were promised? I know this was a major issue with keeping the players happy.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:15 pm
The only quibble here for me is the word 'quite' as in 'quite a significant hole'....they are in fact in 'quite a significantly enormous hole, that is getting more enormous day by day..."
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Traveller wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:20 am
jgriffin wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:15 pm

The only quibble here for me is the word 'quite' as in 'quite a significant hole'....they are in fact in 'quite a significantly enormous hole, that is getting more enormous day by day..."
Yep, there for all to see if you read their financial reports.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

It leaves Dai in an invidious situation. They can’t afford to pay out his contract and redundancy, and he can’t do the job he should be doing.

Are there any vacancies for him elsewhere? Maybe as a scrum coach?

If he walks away, he gets nothing. Almost as bad a deal as the RFU/Championship thing.
Valhalla I am coming!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

speedski wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:56 pm
Scuttle wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:54 pm
Am I in the minority here? Who's been let go? I went to the Wasps site and they don't even have anything on there about Dai leaving 'temporarily'.

Was only talking with a Wasps fan today who was saying the £1m marquee fly half has been an abject failure for them and only recently has Fekitoa shown signs of what he brings - as a fan he was frustrated such a quality group was failing so consistently to deliver. I wonder if the situation with Wasps suddenly looking to have CCFC play there again is out of money desperation more than anything. After all the marketing around the Ricoh and the events it hosts is bringing in more money than the rugby.

Seems to be quite the mess...
Nothing against Dai personally, seems a genuinely nice bloke. However, the above is what was consistently said about his team's performances at Cardiff and the Blues.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

A great bloke, tends to give the best post-match interviews but really Wasps only made the final under him because of that backline they had: Robson, Cipriani, le Roux, Gopperth, Daly, Wade & Beale :smt025 :smt025. Another reason why they haven’t kept in the playoffs is that they have had too much squad turnover to maintain consistency.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fleabane wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:44 am It leaves Dai in an invidious situation. They can’t afford to pay out his contract and redundancy, and he can’t do the job he should be doing.

Are there any vacancies for him elsewhere? Maybe as a scrum coach?

If he walks away, he gets nothing. Almost as bad a deal as the RFU/Championship thing.
If "stood down" equates to gardening leave why should he care. I wouldn't be looking around for any job I'd be waiting for the right job. In the mean time a bit of winter sun would be calling.

The Ospreys job has been rumoured as well. They are in a right state currently so would be a bit like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

It bothers me. Wasps in the mire financially, Sarries can only win by cheating, funding cut to Champs. Add to that the Man City transgressions and I am sure other examples I can't bring to mind. There's something wrong in this world.