Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: England v Ireland

Post by BFG »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:10 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:39 pm Watching England v Ireland was like watching paint dry!
A win today but England aren't developing to win a World Cup with Ewels playing at No8 in my opinion!
He's a big fella but he is no Duane Vermeulen!
I’ll take boring wins!
And the boring losses!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:14 pm England very good defensively but still a lot of work-ons in my point of view. Still at least Farrell has learnt to wrap.
It was embarrassing, like watching some kid having a tantrum after being told no!
Can we please have a new skipper!!!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Great physicality up front, especially when we’re missing the Vunipola boys. Surprised more hasn’t been made of who England have been missing this series, Cokanasiga, Watson, Nowell etc

Maybe Lawes is finally settling at 6 on the test arena. Arguably his best position in the premiership for the last few seasons but until now never seemed to work for England.

One thing to note was LCD work rate in defence, always back with the scramble defence with the last man. Deserved his try, quietly an unsung hero off the bench.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well two bounces went Englands way which made them look better than they were, although they were still better than Ireland. Poor last 20 mins resulting in a a stupid negative kick on 78 minutes that ended up with Ireland scoring a late try, why oh why didn't they have the confidence and skill to keep ball in hand and go for a 4th try and BP?

Joseph on the wing (left one at that!) and Curry and Ewels at 8 are just dumb selections in my view, even though they got away with it today. Oh yes and drop Farrell for Slade and put Heinz out to grass.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:50 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:14 pm England very good defensively but still a lot of work-ons in my point of view. Still at least Farrell has learnt to wrap.
It was embarrassing, like watching some kid having a tantrum after being told no!
Indeed, but Jones will never drop him.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

JP14 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:11 am
BFG wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:50 pm
Indeed, but Jones will never drop him.
Watching Farrell being dragged around like a puppy humping a kids leg was hilarious but as previously mentioned, also embarrassing for our Captain. He is perhaps a few percentage points a better kicker than Ford but he is much weaker at centre than several of the available options. He is cemented in place though, like several institutions at Tigers!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

As with Leicester , I'll never turn my nose up at a win.
Last edited by kk20gb30 on Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

BFG wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:40 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:39 pm Watching England v Ireland was like watching paint dry!
A win today but England aren't developing to win a World Cup with Ewels playing at No8 in my opinion!
I’ll take boring wins!
And the boring losses!
A loss is a loss. It could be the highest scoring, most free flowing game of rugby you’d ever see but if we lost, I’d still be disappointed whereas I’d be happier with a 3-0 win which has seen the ball kicked numerous times and and 10,000 scrums.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

You lot are hard to please.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:07 am
BFG wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:40 pm

I’ll take boring wins!
And the boring losses!
A loss is a loss. It could be the highest scoring, most free flowing game of rugby you’d ever see but if we lost, I’d still be disappointed whereas I’d be happier with a 3-0 win which has seen the ball kicked numerous times and and 10,000 scrums.
I don't disagree, and a 3-0 win can still be very good to watch, however being the two most like for like sides in the competition England v Ireland is just so boring these days!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

I wish Tiger's were that boring at the moment
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

He is just a placeholder for Billy Vunipola.

England do need to identify a back up though.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:47 am
The constant carping about England (and in particular Jones beggars belief) in my ever so 'umble opinion.

Only two teams reached the WC Final and one demolished the All Blacks in the SF. It was a fine achievement.

They have played 240 minutes of rugby - yet supposedly we aren't developing into a team to win the 2023 WC Final. Yes that's the WC 2023.

They played poorly in France (which is always such an easy place to earn a win) in their first match after a WCF. They then won in terrible conditions at Murrayfield (which lots of England teams find hard to do). Yesterday they beat, what was supposedly a rejuvenated Ireland team.

Previous 6N performances after WCs has seen them 3rd in 2004 (lost to France away and Ireland at home), 2nd in 2008 (lost to Wales at home and Scotland away), 2nd in 2013 (demolished by Wales 30-3).

Miraculously under the supposedly clueless Jones they managed to win a Grand Slam in 2016, and with two perfectly winnable games to go in the 2020 they are in with a shout to win the competition.

Meanwhile at my own club rank incompetence is allowed to take deep root.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

drc_007 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:43 pm
He is just a placeholder for Billy Vunipola.

England do need to identify a back up though.
I agree on the placeholder.
You would've thought that a better replacement to develop was sought instead.
Billy V is good but he breaks regularly and although he is similar in playing style he just isn't as good as Vermeulen and another team will come along doing bigger bosh by 2023.
If I were to move any of the current squad at No8 to develop then it'd be Itoje!
I expect England will arrive at 2023 having not experienced sufficient building in every area with no plan B and will just get beaten up again by someone better at doing what they do, bosh.
If you're going to play bosh then you maximise it in every area.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Traveller wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:06 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:47 am
The constant carping about England (and in particular Jones beggars belief) in my ever so 'umble opinion.

Only two teams reached the WC Final and one demolished the All Blacks in the SF. It was a fine achievement.

They have played 240 minutes of rugby - yet supposedly we aren't developing into a team to win the 2023 WC Final. Yes that's the WC 2023.

They played poorly in France (which is always such an easy place to earn a win) in their first match after a WCF. They then won in terrible conditions at Murrayfield (which lots of England teams find hard to do). Yesterday they beat, what was supposedly a rejuvenated Ireland team.

Previous 6N performances after WCs has seen them 3rd in 2004 (lost to France away and Ireland at home), 2nd in 2008 (lost to Wales at home and Scotland away), 2nd in 2013 (demolished by Wales 30-3).

Miraculously under the supposedly clueless Jones they managed to win a Grand Slam in 2016, and with two perfectly winnable games to go in the 2020 they are in with a shout to win the competition.

Meanwhile at my own club rank incompetence is allowed to take deep root.
Good man, well said
God created rugby so footballers have heros too