England v Ireland

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: England v Ireland

Post by Tigerbeat »

England team to face Ireland

Daly; May, Tuilagi, Farrell (capt), Joseph; Ford, Youngs; Marler, George, Sinckler, Itoje, Kruis, Lawes, Underhill, Curry.

Replacements: Cowan-Dickie, Genge, Stuart, Launchbury, Ewels, Earl, Heinz, Slade.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Joseph on the wing! What's the point of having Thorley in the squad if he's not going to pick him when all our other wings are injured?!

Seriously hope Manu lasts the duration, it's a massive risk only having two backs on the bench with Manu and Slade in the 23!!
Soggypitch
JayC2
Tiger Cub

Post by JayC2 »

Flash wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:12 am Is 5 2nd rows in a match day 23 a record?
I don't know, but it's a stupid selection choice....

Having Launchbury on the bench is fine - good player & never lets us down.
Itoje will play the full 80 and Lawes is already there as additional 2nd row cover anyway so where/when is Ewels (who has not looked international class so far IMO either) going to play ?
He should not be included in the 23, especially as the 6-2 split looks risky given Manu/Slade injury concerns...what about putting Devoto on the bench again instead ?

Putting Joseph on the wing is weird too but I guess Eddie want his experience and with Cokanasiga/Watson/Nowell out injured, there is presumably not much point in blooding another new cap who'll lose his place as soon as any of them are fit again...
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Five locks in a 23 and more and more 6/2 bench splits being seen just shows how much the game has swung to bosh rugby.
The rugby is as poor quality as I've ever seen it.
Time to bring matchday squads down to 18 in my opinion, perhaps then they'll get fitter and lighter and won't be so keen to play quite so much bosh when they are needed to go for 80 minutes.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

BFG wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:39 am Five locks in a 23 and more and more 6/2 bench splits being seen just shows how much the game has swung to bosh rugby.
The rugby is as poor quality as I've ever seen it.
Time to bring matchday squads down to 18 in my opinion, perhaps then they'll get fitter and lighter and won't be so keen to play quite so much bosh when they are needed to go for 80 minutes.
Yes please - as I've been saying for years. Let's have 'injury replacements' - not 'finishers'. People worry about 'who decides if they're injured?'. Answer - the Head Coach. If he wants to replace someone on 50 minutes and risk not having someone to bring on for a genuine injury at 52 minutes - let him! I'd even go down to a matchday squad of 17.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I don't think I'm alone in thinking that this unbalanced England side will be on the end of an embarassing defeat tomorrow.
Firstly, the Irish back row is a tried, tested and experienced trio at this level, whereas the English back row, fine individual players that they are, isn't. Curry may one day become a very good 8, but to my knowledge he's never played there for his club, so why the hell is he at 8 for England? He's an outstanding wing forward and should have 7 on his back. Now Courtney Lawes is a top-class second row forward, period. An international blindside wing forward - he ain't!
Jonathan Joseph should be in the centre with Manu - hammer and sickle, so why stick him on the wing when there's an up and coming winger like Thorley who's champing at the bit to show us what he can do. Where is he? Nowhere to be seen! Instead we have Manu with Mr Undroppable!
I've supported England since gawd knows when and of course, want them to win, but a part of me is hoping that the Irish will give England a thumping, if only to persuade the RFU blazers to buy Eddie a one-way ticket on the next boat to Botany Bay, next week!
Semper in excretia
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:41 pm I don't think I'm alone in thinking that this unbalanced England side will be on the end of an embarassing defeat tomorrow.
Firstly, the Irish back row is a tried, tested and experienced trio at this level, whereas the English back row, fine individual players that they are, isn't. Curry may one day become a very good 8, but to my knowledge he's never played there for his club, so why the hell is he at 8 for England? He's an outstanding wing forward and should have 7 on his back. Now Courtney Lawes is a top-class second row forward, period. An international blindside wing forward - he ain't!
Jonathan Joseph should be in the centre with Manu - hammer and sickle, so why stick him on the wing when there's an up and coming winger like Thorley who's champing at the bit to show us what he can do. Where is he? Nowhere to be seen! Instead we have Manu with Mr Undroppable!
I've supported England since gawd knows when and of course, want them to win, but a part of me is hoping that the Irish will give England a thumping, if only to persuade the RFU blazers to buy Eddie a one-way ticket on the next boat to Botany Bay, next week!
Hilariously, some on other forums criticising the retention of Ford! A mishmash side capable of a narrow win through to a disaster.......which team will turn up?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:19 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:41 pm I don't think I'm alone in thinking that this unbalanced England side will be on the end of an embarassing defeat tomorrow.
Hilariously, some on other forums criticising the retention of Ford! A mishmash side capable of a narrow win through to a disaster.......which team will turn up?
Farrell is captain and the media darling, there is a campaign to see him at 10 with Slade at 12, let them do it, Farrell will fail and Ford will finally get some respect
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:28 pm
Farrell is captain and the media darling, there is a campaign to see him at 10 with Slade at 12, let them do it, Farrell will fail and Ford will finally get some respect
I put you lot in the same bin as Sir Clive blooming’ Woodward on ITV earlier. He was incredulous regarding Eddie’s selections. They they went to both BO’D and Johnny W who both said what rot he was talking. You want your best experienced players in the pitch end of. Seems they were correct as was Eddie.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Take it back. Lawes had his best game for England.

Farrell showed why he shouldn’t be captain. Dumb penalty that cost a try and could have let Ireland back in the game.

Why was there no TMO review of the late non-tackle on May. Borderline late but no arms. Penalty try and yellow card.

Ireland unable to out bosh England who exposed their weakness when their defensive line is undone by smart kicking.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

MCC1964 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:01 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:28 pm
I put you lot in the same bin as Sir Clive blooming’ Woodward on ITV earlier. He was incredulous regarding Eddie’s selections. They they went to both BO’D and Johnny W who both said what rot he was talking. You want your best experienced players in the pitch end of. Seems they were correct as was Eddie.
so you put me in with Clive Woodward for something I haven't said? Reading comprehension may help you...
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Watching England v Ireland was like watching paint dry!
A win today but England aren't developing to win a World Cup with Ewels playing at No8 in my opinion!
He's a big fella but he is no Duane Vermeulen!
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

BFG wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:39 pm Watching England v Ireland was like watching paint dry!
A win today but England aren't developing to win a World Cup with Ewels playing at No8 in my opinion!
He's a big fella but he is no Duane Vermeulen!
I’ll take boring wins!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

England very good defensively but still a lot of work-ons in my point of view. Still at least Farrell has learnt to wrap.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Not exactly a classic but we came with a very specific game plan and executed it well. Owen Farrell being carried about like an ankle weight was probably the highlight.