Tigers vs Wasps - 15th Feb

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Tigers vs Wasps - 15th Feb

Post by JP14 »

Should be a win for us, bp might be unrealistic as Wasps have been bolstered by two good away wins in the Premiership.

1 Bateman
2 Youngs
3 Cole
4 Spencer
5 Lavanini
6 Liebenberg
7 Taufua
8 Kalamafoni
9 White
10 Hardwick
11 Olowofela
12 Eastmond
13 Taute
14 Holmes
15 Veainu

16 TPN
17 Gigena
18 Leatigaga
19 Green
20 Thompson
21 Simmons
22 Reid
23 Worth
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Wasps - 15th Feb

Post by Robespierre »

I’ll be over for this match, so I’d be delighted if they could sneak a win, but Wasps are more than capable of winning themselves. Could be a tight ‘un!
Semper in excretia
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I like the team JP but Wasps are a very mobile outfit. I'd be tempted to swap Kalamafoni and Thompson over and bring Wells onto the bench instead of Green.

Use Taufua and Thompson to target the Wasps ball and slow them down. Liebenburg if back from injury won't last the full game so Kalamafoni is there to come on after 50 minutes to carry on the physical stuff. Wells to come on as the game breaks up and we need some more mobility to ensure Wasps don't pick up late tries.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Fair point Sam, it will be a compelling fixture I predict especially with Wasps only losing Launchbury (I suspect Umaga will be released) and our pack largely untouched.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I would question anyone who thinks that we should be winning this game. Wasps are only losing Minozzi & Launchbury, whilst their line-up looks decent, especially in the back row, where Carr, Willis and Young have been on fire. I'm expecting a very difficult game. If we can get a win, fair play.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Forgot about Minozzi. Wasps team are very good on paper but they have been playing very poorly until last time out.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:31 pm I would question anyone who thinks that we should be winning this game. Wasps are only losing Minozzi & Launchbury, whilst their line-up looks decent, especially in the back row, where Carr, Willis and Young have been on fire. I'm expecting a very difficult game. If we can get a win, fair play.
We could do with an absolute deluge for the game. Turn it into an attrional game based around the set piece. I'd back our scrum all day Vs Wasps and we should have some joy with the rolling maul.

Hardwick Vs Umaga should be an interesting watch, Umaga was the year in front of Hardwick in the academy and the two would have trained together for a couple of years. Umaga is getting the headlines but Hardwick got more age grade recognition. Looking forward to that head to head.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

1.Bateman
2.Youngs
3.Cole
4.Lavanini
5.Spencer
6.Kalamafoni
7.Reffell
8.Taufua

9.White
10.Hardwick

11.Holmes
12.Eastmond
13.Taute
14.Olowofela
15.Veainu

16.Kerr
17.Gigena
18.Leatigaga
19.Green
20.Liebenberg
21.Thompson
22.Simmons
23.Reid

Without Launchbury I hope we target the Wasps pack. Lavanini, Taufau, Liebenberg, Reid and Taute are all additions from the summer that should strengthen us considerably for the 6 Nations. Hopefully they pay dividends.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:22 pm Forgot about Minozzi. Wasps team are very good on paper but they have been playing very poorly until last time out.
They picked up a BP win away to Bristol, then pushed Saints all the way once again scoring 4 tries and only lost out very late on. Then as you say the got another BP win away to Worcester. They could very well have taken the maximum 15/15 from the last 3 matches were it not for that very late Saints try (granted their win against Bristol came from a last minute try of their own so swings and roundabouts I guess!) Like mentioned above this will be a very tricky match I think and a win is far from guaranteed.

They have the edge in the backs and we have the advantage in the scrum imho. Will make for a cracking game and hopefully we will come out on top.

Team wise I think you are pretty much spot on JP with perhaps Wells on the bench instead of Green who hasn’t been great and has been injured recently. Wells seems to be a preferred option too so think he will make the bench at least
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

I see us having a clear advantage in the forwards and scrum.We need though a working line out and for the game to turn into a an arm wrestle or slugfest.I fear for our ability to defend from deep and their attacking line speed could hurt us.We must play to our respective strength , which fortunately should nullify their own.This game needs to be strangled at birth and played old school - doing this I see a Leicester win.
I'll be there to watch.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Karl Dickson on the whistle!
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

I know things can change this far out, but another storm is due to arrive on Saturday - Storm Dennis - and the current forecast is horrible - heavy rain and very windy with gusts of around 50mph.
If it is anything like this, and the game goes ahead, maybe best to follow England's lead and go for a forwards based game, with a 6/2 split on the bench.

Btw, I think Italy have to release Minozzi - will be up to Wasps whether he is picked.
Last edited by MurphysLaw on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

fentiger wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:04 pm Karl Dickson on the whistle!
I really do not rate this man
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:51 pm
fentiger wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:04 pm Karl Dickson on the whistle!
I really do not rate this man
Yeah, jury still out in this house too! We'll see :smt017
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Leibenberg is fit for the weekend :smt023