SA to join a 7 nations set up

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

SA to join a 7 nations set up

Post by trendylfj »

According to the NZ Herald, the South Africans are in talks to join a 7 nation competition after the next world cup - that would lead to even more weeks when our international players are absent - what do people think?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/a ... d=12306986
Hehehehehehehehe
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: SA to join a 7 nations set up

Post by JP14 »

From the SARU’s perspective they want to be playing in a competition in their own timezone, but I think this will be really detrimental to the Tier 2 sides in Europe, not a good idea in my opinion. I would imagine either Wales or the Scots will veto it.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

No thanks.

Wouldn't be surprised if it happened though.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I coughed up my cheerios when I read this news this morning, what a ridiculous cash grab! Our England players are already falling apart at the seams from too many international commitments and now they want to add more! If this goes ahead then the domestic value of current internationals will further decrease and the game overall will suffer. Plus they will probably win every year!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

SA may well be exploring the idea but look there the report originated, the Daily Mail. :smt009

This paper, and I use the term loosely, has a reputation for 'making it up' on a bad news day in order to get a headline so I would take anything they say with a very large pinch of salt.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Flash

Post by Flash »

If world rugby really want develop the game they need to get rid of the closed shop competitions.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Noggs wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:08 am SA may well be exploring the idea but look there the report originated, the Daily Mail. :smt009

This paper, and I use the term loosely, has a reputation for 'making it up' on a bad news day in order to get a headline so I would take anything they say with a very large pinch of salt.
Whilst in general I would agree, however The Daily Mail has a record of being extraordinarily accurate in rugby related stories.

As they say "money talks"

I would not be surprised if SA replace Italy
nasher

Post by nasher »

It’s all about money- greed no thoughts of player welfare. Eventually internationals will not play for clubs because of mandatory rest periods and matches for international players it will not leave any time left and clubs will stop paying massive salaries to players that only play twice a season.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

drc_007 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:53 am
Noggs wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:08 am SA may well be exploring the idea but look there the report originated, the Daily Mail. :smt009

Whilst in general I would agree, however The Daily Mail has a record of being extraordinarily accurate in rugby related stories.

The game in Italy has moved on considerably on the back of Italy joining the 6 nations and I doubt that European Rugby will be prepare to put this at risk for the sake of SA joining the 6N competition.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Does the Daily Mail article say SA want it to happen or it’s going to happen? Big difference.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Now The Scotsman is reporting that talks have been going on for sometime and that the sticking point is the issue of terrestrial TV. It also says Japan would take their place in the rugby championship. Looking more true than just rumours - https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-un ... -1-5087719
Hehehehehehehehe
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Noggs wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:51 am
drc_007 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:53 am

The game in Italy has moved on considerably on the back of Italy joining the 6 nations and I doubt that European Rugby will be prepare to put this at risk for the sake of SA joining the 6N competition.
Italy's results in the last 5 seasons compared to their first 5 seasons in the 6N suggest otherwise.

Regardless the reports do suggest that the thinking is to expand to 7N and not exclude Italy.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Yup, they got the salary cap scandal completely wrong, didn't they..... :smt046
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Six Nations must stay on terrestrial, that is paramount.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:02 pm Six Nations must stay on terrestrial, that is paramount.
If it brings more money into the game I'm happy with it to be on Sky or BT.