Hotel, Car Park and fanzone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bendy

Hotel, Car Park and fanzone

Post by bendy »

I know it's been discussed before, but now that we've got a date for work to start on this development (next month!), how are people feeling about it?

I'm in the 'generally positive' camp. It's dead space at the moment, should bring in more money for the club and the (admittedly probably unrealistic) artists' impression of what the "fanzone" will look like seem quite appealing for general matchday experience.

That said, I'm conscious I don't want to be wading through a building site between now and [whenever it's finished], so I hope the impact on home matches will be minimised in the interim.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Hotel and fanzone

Post by loretta »

bendy wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:48 am I know it's been discussed before, but now that we've got a date for work to start on this development (next month!), how are people feeling about it?

I'm in the 'generally positive' camp. It's dead space at the moment, should bring in more money for the club and the (admittedly probably unrealistic) artists' impression of what the "fanzone" will look like seem quite appealing for general matchday experience.

That said, I'm conscious I don't want to be wading through a building site between now and [whenever it's finished], so I hope the impact on home matches will be minimised in the interim.
Mixed feelings. On the one hand, I work at the LRI and in the short term there's going to be (even more) difficulty parking for staff and patients. On the other hand, I retire in September and after that, I won't give a monkeys!! :smt026
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

The "fly through" graphics are excellent and whoever did them should be congratulated. Hope you got a good fee?
On the down side of this news, we still have the old Crumby stand, which although much loved,
( I first stood there in the early 50s) it now looks out of place with the rest of the stadium. When is that going to be developed?
Will the hotel development be part of the club sale? I somehow doubt it.
I admit to a twinge of nostalgia walking across the site which was once the Granby Halls. Skating, home life exhibitions, boxing , wrestling, etc. All progress and hopefully good for the club. I just want to see the stadium completed!
A life long Tiger
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Smudge wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:55 am The "fly through" graphics are excellent and whoever did them should be congratulated. Hope you got a good fee?
On the down side of this news, we still have the old Crumby stand, which although much loved,
( I first stood there in the early 50s) it now looks out of place with the rest of the stadium. When is that going to be developed?
Will the hotel development be part of the club sale? I somehow doubt it.
I admit to a twinge of nostalgia walking across the site which was once the Granby Halls. Skating, home life exhibitions, boxing , wrestling, etc. All progress and hopefully good for the club. I just want to see the stadium completed!
I would hope these developments are not in the price we are asking for the club - hotel cost at least 22 million and I have no idea what the multi story car park is costing and if they are included it values our Stadium and assets are valued at around 20 million - that is virtually giving it away.
Hehehehehehehehe
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Hotel and Multi-storey Car Park

Post by Noggs »

Work to get underway at long last :smt001

The final scheme should look very impressive. Let us hope we have the success in the field of play to warrant it :smt041

With a bit of luck the club will set up some spy-cams to monitor progress. It was good fun when the new stands were built.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: Hotel and Multi-storey Car Park

Post by Noggs »

Noggs wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:35 pm Work to get underway at long last :smt001

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/da ... velopments

The final scheme should look very impressive. Let us hope we have the success in the field of play to warrant it :smt041

With a bit of luck the club will set up some spy-cams to monitor progress. It was good fun when the new stands were built.
Forgot the link :smt009
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Hotel and Multi-storey Car Park

Post by WiggoTiger »

Thanks for the information. At long last :smt038
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Since Tigers first thought this was a good idea, two large hotels have sprung up in the city centre occupying the same mid-level quality space as the planned Welford Road hotel. Supply has vastly increased in a city where there is very low tourist trade and generally very low average room rate.

On the positive side, most Leicester city centre hotels are pretty dated so there's plenty of scope to take market share and those existing hotels are the ones more likely to struggle.

Shouldn't be difficult to make some money from a hotel that size if managed well, but if I was thinking of building a hotel Leicester would not be high on my list of locations.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It would be good for European games you would imagine.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I cannot see these being included in our sale price as we are not going to own either hotel or car park, or be the builders, we are just going to take a cut of the profits from the owners.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

LE18 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:44 pm I cannot see these being included in our sale price as we are not going to own either hotel or car park, or be the builders, we are just going to take a cut of the profits from the owners.
But dont Tigers own the land? The lease to the car park and hotel would transfer to the new owners as the landlords?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Hotel, Car Park and fanzone

Post by MurphysLaw »

My understanding is that Tigers are part of a joint venture company with Marshall Developments - the JV co. Tigers input into the jvco is the land and the developer's input is the building. As they are about to start building, I would think that the JVco has signed up a hotel operator to occupy the finished product (unlikely to build something of this scale speculatively).

I do not know what the jvco Agreement stipulates when the development is completed and the hotel is operational. Often, the completed investment might be sold to a property company or pension fund and the sale proceeds apportioned between the jv partners. However, I would think in this case that Tigers would want to retain some interest in the property, at least a ground rent for 'control' reasons, but probably a greater interest for on-going income generation.

In answer to an earlier post, I would think that whatever interest the Club retains in this and the car park would almost certainly be included in any future sale of the Club, along with any other asset. (If there still is to be a sale?).
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I'm sure they will have done their homework with respect to available beds to service the Leicester market. In general wherever you seem to go in the UK you often find hotels fully booked if you are trying to book at the last minute so I doubt Leicester is any different.

I suspect the main market will relate to business travel and in providing accommodation for conference packages where Tigers provide the conference facilities. This is a huge market in itself and local hotel accommodation is a big draw in winning this type of business.

It would be good to know who the hotel partner is.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Noggs wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:00 am I'm sure they will have done their homework with respect to available beds to service the Leicester market. In general wherever you seem to go in the UK you often find hotels fully booked if you are trying to book at the last minute so I doubt Leicester is any different.

I suspect the main market will relate to business travel and in providing accommodation for conference packages where Tigers provide the conference facilities. This is a huge market in itself and local hotel accommodation is a big draw in winning this type of business.

I like your very optimistic view that all hotels are doing very well and your assumptions on the Leicester hotel market. If only it were true...
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:28 am
Noggs wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:00 am I'm sure they will have done their homework with respect to available beds to service the Leicester market. In general wherever you seem to go in the UK you often find hotels fully booked if you are trying to book at the last minute so I doubt Leicester is any different.

I like your very optimistic view that all hotels are doing very well and your assumptions on the Leicester hotel market. If only it were true...
Here he is again Mr negative :smt016
A2O