Scotland V England

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Scotland V England

Post by JP14 »

I too was impressed by Curry, still not an 8 and by Earl’s little cameo. Incredibly frustrated at Jones for not bringing on Dunn for at least the 2 minutes when the game was more or less assured, what a waste of shirt printing!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Realistically , both teams played the conditions and lost...............
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

G.K wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:57 am I fail to see how just kicking to the 22 with no real challenge or pressure put on the receiver and which results in a simple mark is good tactics in any weather. Go check how many times that results in a positive outcome for the kicking team, yesterday there were at least 3 attacking options squandered in that way in the first half. It's a tactic that is also overused by Tigers and how are they doing?
I don’t think anyone is advocating the kick to the 22 mark scenario but a high box kick that lands just outside the 22 with a good kick chase.. that’s certainly a sensible tactic in inclement weather. I just think our execution yesterday as slightly lacking that’s all
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:01 am
G.K wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:57 am I fail to see how just kicking to the 22 with no real challenge or pressure put on the receiver and which results in a simple mark is good tactics in any weather. Go check how many times that results in a positive outcome for the kicking team, yesterday there were at least 3 attacking options squandered in that way in the first half. It's a tactic that is also overused by Tigers and how are they doing?
I don’t think anyone is advocating the kick to the 22 mark scenario but a high box kick that lands just outside the 22 with a good kick chase.. that’s certainly a sensible tactic in inclement weather. I just think our execution yesterday as slightly lacking that’s all
Agreed. A repeated failure to "keep it on the island" lost territory and handed over possession. It's ust a good job the Scottish line out failed repeatedly. Net result. Frustration. I bet the front row were seething.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I too felt sorry for Tom Dunn, it might be his only chance of a cap. George and LCD are the solid incumbents and it will take an injury for him to get another chance.

Horrible game yesterday, but a good and much needed win. I also agree that Earl, Youngs and Genge played excellent cameos.

Curry also made a much better job of playing 8 and May was again excellent.

Bring on the Irish - I shall be watching it from a bar in Switzerland!
Soggypitch
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I was at Murrayfield yesterday, in a particularly soggy section of the west stand, and I think it's easy to underestimate the conditions just looking at TV pictures. It was raining so hard we could barely see at times and the whirling wind delivered my hat to somebody thirty yards away. In those conditions a win is a win and while the kicking might have looked pointless it was a better strategy than having a scrum on wet turf every 3 mins.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:01 am
Yes Oakham but that is not what was happening.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I have read what Jones has said about the Scottish rugby fans. As I was watching on tv there was one fan who was yelling at Farrell and then gave him the universal “maxwell house, shake your beans” hand signal. Totally over the top. Whilst mouthing the words that Farrell was enjoying fornicating self pleasure. Bloke should be ID and told to never come back to rugby. I am happy for banter and a bit of abuse but that was over the top.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Nice to see the Scottish fans respecting the kicker too! Worse fans out there, especially the Weegies,WR wasn't a very nice place when Glasgow were playing us there!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:37 pm I have read what Jones has said about the Scottish rugby fans. As I was watching on tv there was one fan who was yelling at Farrell and then gave him the universal “maxwell house, shake your beans” hand signal. Totally over the top. Whilst mouthing the words that Farrell was enjoying fornicating self pleasure. Bloke should be ID and told to never come back to rugby. I am happy for banter and a bit of abuse but that was over the top.
Completely agreed and I’m loving your descriptive prowess!

Abuse like that has no place in Sport and while it sadly seems commonplace in some sports it’s such a shame it’s creeping in to rugby now too!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:48 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:37 pm I have read what Jones has said about the Scottish rugby fans. As I was watching on tv there was one fan who was yelling at Farrell and then gave him the universal “maxwell house, shake your beans” hand signal. Totally over the top. Whilst mouthing the words that Farrell was enjoying fornicating self pleasure. Bloke should be ID and told to never come back to rugby. I am happy for banter and a bit of abuse but that was over the top.
Completely agreed and I’m loving your descriptive prowess!

Abuse like that has no place in Sport and while it sadly seems commonplace in some sports it’s such a shame it’s creeping in to rugby now too!
A particular concern is the nationalist agenda using the sport.
I noted that one particular nationalist politician retweeted the result with a sympathetic comment about the weather for the game in what appeared to be an attempt to win favour.
Sadly they will use what we know as just rugby banter to suit their agenda.
There is absolutely no place for any of it in sport.
By the way has anyone heard about the bottle hitting the English coach?
There is a video circulating of a plastic bottle blowing across the top of the coach/bus.
Fake news!
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

I think it is a shame Gregor Townsend's comments on the behaviour were so equivocal. I have always respected him and thought him better than that.
As Good As It Gets
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Anyone see Borthwick yesterday?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I agree with BFG, the powers-that-be in Scotland are manipulating our historic sporting rivalry to further their political agenda. Made all the more farcical by Scotland's current inability to win.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I think there is a massive hint of politics in the game. But I think it was the vitriolic way he was acting. Real hatred. Almost like watching football. Shame as I like others have stood on the Shed and have had banter but it’s always good natured. That was not and Townsend could have said the same.
There is never any points for 2nd place...