France v England

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: France v England

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

JP14 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:19 pm No Dombrandt or Hughes in the latest EPS but Earl is in there.
So stupid, especially when Moon and Ewels don’t offer anything when the usual four are all fit. Hughes and Dombrandt should be right in there. Don’t think Simmonds would fit England’s style of play to be fair so I understand that omission.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

JP14 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:19 pm No Dombrandt or Hughes in the latest EPS but Earl is in there.
Negligent
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TomWeston wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:46 pm “LE18... thus resulting in that he could not catch, he also looked shell shocked to me, was it concussion...”

I thought that too.
It certainly looked like that to me, being Captain Im sure he didnt want to draw attention to his injury as he didnt want to come off.
He seemed to lose his co-ordination.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

TomWeston wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:46 pm “LE18... thus resulting in that he could not catch, he also looked shell shocked to me, was it concussion...”

I thought that too.
He was holding the region between neck and his shoulder after tackling Vakatawa. A stinger? Seemed to effect his dexterity. Didn’t we have Devoto on the bench to replace a centre?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

loretta wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:43 pm

I thought that too.
He was holding the region between neck and his shoulder after tackling Vakatawa. A stinger? Seemed to effect his dexterity. Didn’t we have Devoto on the bench to replace a centre?
I think Devoto was still on bench, but we had already used up Joseph and Heinz was being saved for later, so I think he said nothing and just carried on, looking really dizzy and unable to hold onto the ball. I wonder if Eddie is/was aware?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

LE18 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:53 pm
loretta wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:43 pm

I thought that too.
I think Devoto was still on bench, but we had already used up Joseph and Heinz was being saved for later, so I think he said nothing and just carried on, looking really dizzy and unable to hold onto the ball. I wonder if Eddie is/was aware?
If it was concussion the team doctor and independent spotters should be sacked
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

LE18 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:53 pm
Eddie only sees what he wants to see!
Semper in excretia
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Manu to have MRI scan today. Don’t worry though, we can call up Tompkins if he’s injured...... :smt010

O’Driscoll was only saying he was one of the best young centres he’s seen last year. What does he know about playing 13......
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think Hughes should have one more chance at international level, being that he rarely played well in an England shirt.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:35 am Manu to have MRI scan today. Don’t worry though, we can call up Tompkins if he’s injured...... :smt010

O’Driscoll was only saying he was one of the best young centres he’s seen last year. What does he know about playing 13......
Makes you wonder what are England doing!
Since Ford improved his goal kicking, which has been quite a while now, I see no place for Farrell.
Ford's ability is on another level to Farrell.
It was always obvious that Cipriani was the perfect bench alternative to have as potential 10/15 cover.
As an Englishman it pains me to say it but Tomkins has made a good choice.
Quality English centres in the O'Driscoll mould (quick feet, direct, abrasive, good hands, vision) to develop at international level have been in abundance but greatly underused.
Lozowski has only played bit parts and Daly out of position, Sam Hill we've hardly seen.
Last edited by BFG on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

BFG wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:25 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:35 am Manu to have MRI scan today. Don’t worry though, we can call up Tompkins if he’s injured...... :smt010

Since Ford improved his goal kicking, which has been quite a while now, I see no place for Farrell.
It was always obvious that Cipriani was the perfect bench alternative to have as potential 10/15 cover.
Quality English centres in the O'Driscoll mould (quick feet, direct, abrasive, good hands, vision) to develop at international level have been in abundance but greatly underused.
Lozowski has only played bit parts and Daly out of position, Sam Hill we've hardly seen.
Was thinking this the other day, I don’t think the Ford Farrell axis really works anymore. Let them both fight for the 10 shirt as either can captain the team.

As soon as Slade was out injured, you literally have a tailor made replacement in Lozowski. Did Joseph really merit selection over Tompkins, especially with Marchant away?

Add in there being no no.8 in the squad and you have to wonder what’s going on. England’s whole game plan is based around a big carrier. Hughes been great for Bristol this season.

Would someone like Gatland make those mistakes?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:36 am
BFG wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:25 am

Was thinking this the other day, I don’t think the Ford Farrell axis really works anymore. Let them both fight for the 10 shirt as either can captain the team.

As soon as Slade was out injured, you literally have a tailor made replacement in Lozowski. Did Joseph really merit selection over Tompkins, especially with Marchant away?

Add in there being no no.8 in the squad and you have to wonder what’s going on. England’s whole game plan is based around a big carrier. Hughes been great for Bristol this season.

Would someone like Gatland make those mistakes?
Gatland was fortunate as Lions coach to be able to bring all the big midfield units together with the forwards of his choice which could afford the injuries that crash ball brings.
However i think playing crash ball at both Premiership and international level is too much for a player and his body simply isn't going to survive it.
I also think that England have not sorted their pack sufficiently to play so much crash ball and they have persistent breakdown issues.
The game has to be kept tighter and the breakdown has to be dominated which players like Warburton did for Gatland if crash ball is your game.
A bigger team is a slower team which naturally requires the defensive breakdown slowing down, otherwise you're in trouble defensively.
In attack it's kept mostly tight.
England can't even read and clear their own ruck ball properly let alone disrupt the oppositions.
Billy V is important to England because he is a strong tight player, but like the others he gets injured a lot.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Smudge wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:14 pm The experimental changes forced upon EJ by injuries were not successful so I fully expect there may be changes
for the sweaties. Especially at 8. But the loyalty to Eddie is promoted by his own loyalty to his players.
The England team don't go from world cup finalists to pub players if there is no reason.

Most of the team had an off day and the conditions didn't help. I am sure in my own mind that the thoughts of the Sarries
contingent were elsewhere. Easy to claim "not so" but they are branded cheats across the rugby world and it must have an effect.
The moans about Ben kicking so much ball away are wrongly aimed at him because he was clearly doing what he was told to.
There were many that went unchallenged when the likes of Back and Moody would have been all over them. The selection of all three back row forwards was suspect and they made a huge difference.
While May was rightly identified as being the best of our backs, he was brilliantly set up by Ford who I think also had a good game and set up the tries.
The 6Ns happen every year and with the AIs, take our best players away for up to 14 weeks during the season. What other sport would put up with that nonsense? Run the 6Ns competition in the summer or every four years, half way between the WCs.
Nick Evans in the Grauniad reckons it's the changeover in attack coaches to Amor that has left everyone in the England camp (except May) caught between systems.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

England like Tigers are suffering because they have no answer to a quick and functioning defensive line.
This was bought home in the South African game. Edwards has done his job well and punished England. So two games in a row whereby big defensive effort has cost us.
If Scotland cut out their error count and silly penalties - coupled with our team selection I can foresee a close game.
Farrell should be rested. His head is not in the right place and in two high tackles was lucky not to have been Yellowed.
That plus concussion/stinger . Every one can have a bad game , but for me why was Ford replaced ahead of Farrell?

Tigers have taken a few seasons and still can't play against this type of defense. Having said that - how many times were the French off side at the break down and not penalised.
Seams that the fine line between a rush defense and off side is getting more blurred.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Agreed - and did anyone see Borthwick? wasn't in his usual position in coaches box- or did I miss it/him.