France v England

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: France v England

Post by BFG »

I think you have to give credit to how quickly the French have adopted the Edwards blitz.
England had no way through or around it, as has been seen before versus Wales and even with a proper No8 playing the Youngs - Ford - Farrell combination doesn't work for me, it's neither direct enough to be direct nor does it possess the combination of speed, skills and awareness to beat the rush.
Genge should be given the game time as a starter, he brought something that England were missing.
England have some big decisions to make if they wish to evolve.
Oh and congrats to May for saving England's blushes!
Last edited by BFG on Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Anyone know what the injury to Manu was ?
A2O
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Changes next week?
Manu out for season presumably.

Macko back for Marler.
Kruis or Lawes start in the second row instead of Ewels.
Dombrant or Simmonds at 8.
Any other English qualified wing instead of Daly. It would be good if Watson was fit and returned to full back but unlikely to be fit so I'd play Cokanasiga because England lacked power in attack. (Bar Jonny May lacked any attacking threat at all)

I fear Ford gets the chop, Daly stays and squanders the ability of Curry by playing him at 8.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:50 pm Anyone know what the injury to Manu was ?
Groin, apparently was injured before the start but hey, as if Eddie gives a monkeys
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

mol2 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:50 pm Any other English qualified wing instead of Daly. It would be good if Watson was fit and returned to full back but unlikely to be fit so I'd play Cokanasiga because England lacked power in attack. (Bar Jonny May lacked any attacking threat at all)
Cokanasiga is out injured long term. He came back from the RWC having been playing on what Bath were told was a minor knee injury. Upon returning to Bath and having more tests done it was clearly a major knee injury. Blackadder was furious about the situation apparently.

Nowell is injured as well.

I hope Thorley gets a start on the wing if Watson isn't available.

Joseph hardly shone when he came on so Daly at his natural position of 13 might be a possibility.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:44 pm A good bottle of rouge will be opened this evening!!
As long as it’s not French! :smt002
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:19 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:44 pm A good bottle of rouge will be opened this evening!!
As long as it’s not French! :smt002
😀 of course it’s French!
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I missed the substitution of Tuilagi. Why was he taken off?
Semper in excretia
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

The better team won.. you aren’t going to come back from 24-0 in the final 25 mins.. even with May in the team! Schoolboy stuff by England first half; however, credit to France for flying out of the traps. Agree with the comment above about playing to the whistle.. inexcusable at any level!

It’s a shame we left it so late to turn up to the party today as the second half was a vast improvement.

On a positive note:

6 Nations, Triple Crown and Calcutta Cup still up for grabs and maybe we might see Youngs back in a Tigers shirt sooner than expected (not that I’m laying blame at his door but it wasn’t his finest showing today and EJ will surely make some changes for Scotland)
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:25 pm I missed the substitution of Tuilagi. Why was he taken off?
Went off injured and looking thoroughly pee’d off in the first half.. didn’t sound good although I’m not sure about the severity
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

ABClub wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:18 pm Cokanasiga is out injured long term. He came back from the RWC having been playing on what Bath were told was a minor knee injury. Upon returning to Bath and having more tests done it was clearly a major knee injury. Blackadder was furious about the situation apparently.
I thought he left Bath at the end of last season? :smt017 Before the RWC.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Care has looked a snipy sort this season, but I doubt Eddie will bring him back. Still best of the rest.
Valhalla I am coming!
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Bottom line, England without Billy V always struggle. Odd that so much centres around him given the resources available.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

biffer wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:43 pm Bottom line, England without Billy V always struggle. Odd that so much centres around him given the resources available.
Billy makes a big difference for sure but the lack of a natural 8 was always going to be extremely risky imho
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Watching England today was uncannily similar to watching Leicester last season.
Before someone goes off it I don't just mean the Leicester players, I mean the entire set up, low passes, dropped balls, general schoolboy errors from all etc.