Saracens in the Championship

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Saracens in the Championship

Post by Old Hob »

There was an interesting letter in the Times yesterday (Sat Jan 25th) from the former president of Ealing Trailfinders. He averred that Saracens demotion was not a punishment for Saracens but instead a punishment for the "hard working and often struggling teams in the championship". He implies that teams, particularly those in the lower part of the league, playing against a fully international side will face unsustainable injury lists and unable to field a full team. He concludes, "With unwavering support from our biggest sponsor, we have worked hard to achieve and maintain our position so why should we have this 'perfect storm' thrust upon us because of the misdeeds of others?"

I agree. Saracens should just be banned for a season or two.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Saracens in th Championship

Post by fentiger »

Precisely, I already mooted this point on another thread a couple of weeks back!
Have any of the powers that be got the cahoonas to do something about it? I reckon we already know the answer to that :smt015
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I doubt many of the internationals will still be there by the time next season kicks off. We can see the gulf between the leagues in the way Falcons are running away with it this season. It's an understandable concern.

Even if the rumoured leavers go and the England internationals go on loan Sarries could still field;

Barrington, Gray/Woolstencroft, Lamisotele
Kpoku, Hunter-Hill
Earl, Wray, Reffell
Whitely, Vunipola
Thompkins, Morris
Segun, Goode, Crossdale

That's pretty much worse case scenario as well. They might be able to retain one or two of the England lads and someone like Wigglesworth or Barrett. They'll make a few signings as well.

Championship sides won't live with a side like that particularly when the Sarries tactics are so ingrained.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The talk is of most of the senior England internationals staying but benefiting from a lot of rest.

Are Sarries players any more likely to cause injury than other teams that get relegated? I'm not so sure. There are plenty of huge players in the Championship.

I think most of Sarries opposition will relish the chance to test themselves against a top team.
Louis

Post by Louis »

I had a thought:

If the Sarries England players are going to stay with Sarries when the team is relegated to the Championship, could one benefit of this be increased focus on Championship players by the England set up?

I admit, I don't know how much scrutiny of Championship players/teams there already is, presumably a good bit, but I can only see Saracens' and England players' participation in the Championship as resulting in an increase in this scrutiny. Additionally, I see media scrutiny increasing too. This could result in a few more "undiscovered gems" being found.

Maybe a diamond in the dirt?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Is he making a case for ring fencing?

Sounds like it to me....
bendy

Post by bendy »

Fairly minor point in all this - but has anything been said about what's happening with their fixture(s) at Spurs' stadium in all this?

I can't imagine many Jersey / Cornwall travelling fans will fill it up, and Spurs won't be hugely amused at having to open their (expensive) stadium for a match day, with it only being c.20% full. I suppose Ealing could be an attractive option.

I wonder what the ticket sales are like for this season's match (v Quins?).

And a related point - is there any noise coming out of Sarries' sponsors yet? Do they want to still be associated with the "brand"? And do they see much value in having their name splashed all over the very, very miniscule coverage the Championship gets?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

bendy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:08 am Fairly minor point in all this - but has anything been said about what's happening with their fixture(s) at Spurs' stadium in all this?
Have seen some speculation about this. Possibly a national team? Saffas were mentioned. Just speculation though,
bendy

Post by bendy »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:17 am
bendy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:08 am Fairly minor point in all this - but has anything been said about what's happening with their fixture(s) at Spurs' stadium in all this?
Have seen some speculation about this. Possibly a national team? Saffas were mentioned. Just speculation though,
I have to say - that would be pretty galling, if they get an absolute Brucie Bonus of a pay day with a sell out fixture against A-grade opposition (presumably during the AIs or similar?). Hey, who knows, if they play their cards right, they might come out financially up on all this and be able to slip a few more quid into people's pockets down the line...