Gallagher Premiership this weekend

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Gallagher Premiership this weekend

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Back to the Premiership after a couple of weeks off for Europe.

First upset of the weekend goes to Irish who have just beaten Saints at FG. Red card for Saints changed the game and Irish scored 2 tries in last 10 mins to win 20-16.

Glad we don’t have relegation to worry about as Irish looked pretty impressive and haven’t lost anyone to the 6N so will probably fare pretty well these next few months.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Gallagher Premiership this weekend

Post by fentiger »

Refereeing was at best inconsistent although more likely questionable at times. The whole high tackle thing needs a close looking at. I think a second TMO just to look at anything like that whilst game carries on would stop a lot of the ref blowing when he shouldn't have. :smt017
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

How good were Irish there ? Mafi, Naholo, Coleman....and Hepetema showing up well. Deserved win.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

westwinds31 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:02 pm How good were Irish there ? Mafi, Naholo, Coleman....and Hepetema showing up well. Deserved win.
Honestly didn’t think they were that great tbh, but did enough to win Mafi only played the last 20 and Napolo name was hardly ever mentioned, the young winger on the other side had a much better game. Do agree about Coleman and Hepetema though and Cowan.

Foley very inconsistent. For me he got 2 decisions wrong. The Meehan yellow should have been red, I know Reinach landed on his back but imo it was a bad enough piece of foul play to be a red in its own right.
Secondly the Reinach try saving tackle was high and should have been an Irish penalty try, fortunately that didn’t make any difference to the result.

Saints struggled without Biggar, and losing Francis early was unfortunate. Their situation at lock didn’t help, of their 4 first choice locks, 2 away with England a third injured and then the fourth gets himself sent off
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

"Foley very inconsistent."

No change there then.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Was Hepetema any good during his brief spell here, to be honest I don’t remember him really? It wasn’t until 15/16 that I started paying proper attention to all things Tigers.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Controversial opinion but I believe that Reinach wasn’t seatbelt tackling he was grabbing the shoulder of Hassell-Collins to propel himself and I don’t think it was a penalty try, not that it matters because on all accounts the Exiles got a deserved win.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:21 am Controversial opinion but I believe that Reinach wasn’t seatbelt tackling he was grabbing the shoulder of Hassell-Collins to propel himself and I don’t think it was a penalty try, not that it matters because on all accounts the Exiles got a deserved win.
That’s how Foley read it too. I just don’t see how you ca n differentiate between the 2 his first contact was on the shoulder and that’s what initiated the tackle
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:20 am Was Hepetema any good during his brief spell here, to be honest I don’t remember him really? It wasn’t until 15/16 that I started paying proper attention to all things Tigers.
From what I remember he was a development player and didn’t really
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:21 am Controversial opinion but I believe that Reinach wasn’t seatbelt tackling he was grabbing the shoulder of Hassell-Collins to propel himself and I don’t think it was a penalty try, not that it matters because on all accounts the Exiles got a deserved win.
I agree with you.

Problem was they ping LI for the exact same offense on a Saints player a few minutes early that got Saints a penalty.

I think the key thing here is the decisions need to be consistent no matter where they are on the pitch and no matter what time of the game it occurs in.

I actually think Foley was inconsistent towards LI, not Saints - but then again, Saints will think Foley is incompetent because of the red but actually if you heard what he said 'the framework is very clear and it leaves me no choice' and I actually think that's the right call - its the frame work that may be wrong - but having flex in it leads to inconsistency.

Theres a real problem there and its not an easy fix IMO...
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:20 am Was Hepetema any good during his brief spell here, to be honest I don’t remember him really? It wasn’t until 15/16 that I started paying proper attention to all things Tigers.
It's nice seeing Hepetema kicking on. So many talented academy players from all clubs drift out the game if they don't pick up Premiership contracts. It's nice to see guys like Hepetema fight for that second opportunity, first earning his chance with the Blues and now Irish.

Tiziano Pasquali getting into the Italy squad.
Joe Maksymiw at Connacht.
Charlie Beckett playing well in Jersey.
George Tressider playing Varsity for Oxford.
Ed Milne was tearing up trees for Rosslyn Park then London Scottish. Last I knew he was at Richmond and coaching at the University where he's studying medicine.
Javiah Pohe skippered South Leicester with a really good reputation and is now at Plymouth Albion.
Aniseko Sio, Jake Farnworth, Ben Betts (loan from Ealing) and Will Owen are all with Nottingham this season.

I haven't heard anything of Charlie Thacker this season, hopefully he's still playing. I know he got his level 3 personal trainers qualification whilst with Tigers so perhaps he's going down the S&C route.

I remember Oli Bryant going over to Spain for a season but not sure if he's still playing now.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

He only played a few games, seem to remember him tackling with his face and KOing himself on more than one occasion. Always thought he had potential but at the time didn't show enough to displace Allen, Manu, Bowden, Smith etc
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I am doing what Mrs Flashman said I could never do and multi task whilst watching the Tigers game on the IPad and the Bristol V Glaws game on the tv, I am getting the distinct impression that Dallaglio hates Nathan Hughes. Every time he mentions Hughes it is disparaging and never complimentary. The bloke is a bitter and hateful man who should not be allowed near the commentary box. He clearly dislikes Hughes for whatever reason, but be professional and don’t make it so blatantly obvious.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

HT scores:

Bath 5 Tigers 3
Bristol 15 Glos 9
Exeter 5 Sale 22
Worcester 13 Wasps 5

Another upset on the cards this weekend with the match at Sandy Park perhaps? At least Wasps are losing too!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Not terribly surprised that Sale are doing well at Exeter, they should be one of the strongest teams during the 6N.