Finn Russell

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Finn Russell

Post by BFG »

It's not really fair to highlight that Russell might make errors without mentioning Hastings or even Hogg!
I have family in Scotland who are Glasgow supporters and they aren't best pleased about the Russell saga or Hastings performances.
Put simply a leadership group which came about with Hogg asking for the captaincy and then agreeing team rules without Russell's presence was a perfect recipe for a misunderstanding to occur.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:07 pm Oh yes I agree LE18,he definitely deserves to keep his place!
As most older England fans should know, since the 1991 World Cup semi final anyone named Hastings should keep their place!
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

LE18 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:46 am
biffer wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:50 am
LE18 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:27 pm

Major error prone, got too big for his boots, they did Ok with Hastings.

Russell has an ability to cut open defences in a way that Hastings doesn’t. He’s massively improved his game management and cut out errors since he moved to France, in that his poor games aren’t as disastrously poor as they were; when he has a poor game now he’s competent in the basics for the most part. The next four years is the peak for a player at 10, Im looking forward to seeing him for Scotland when he has another 10 pushing him for game time.
Sorry but I think the Scots selectors are a bit wiser than you.
I’m just glad they’re wiser than you.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

biffer wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:14 pm
biffer wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:50 am

Russell has an ability to cut open defences in a way that Hastings doesn’t. He’s massively improved his game management and cut out errors since he moved to France, in that his poor games aren’t as disastrously poor as they were; when he has a poor game now he’s competent in the basics for the most part. The next four years is the peak for a player at 10, Im looking forward to seeing him for Scotland when he has another 10 pushing him for game time.
The test for me as an England supporter is, would I rather England have to face Russell or Hastings? I'd much sooner we had to face Hastings. With the combination of players a Lions 10 will have around him, would the Boks rather face Russell or Hastings. I'd put a fiver (and that's a lot for me) on them preferring much Hastings.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Traveller wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:59 pm
The test for me as an England supporter is, would I rather England have to face Russell or Hastings? I'd much sooner we had to face Hastings. With the combination of players a Lions 10 will have around him, would the Boks rather face Russell or Hastings. I'd put a fiver (and that's a lot for me) on them preferring much Hastings.
No way did I suggest Hastings would be selected for the Lions, nor would Russell, Biggar, Ford and Farrell would be their choice based on who the coach is and current form.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

LE18 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:32 pm
Traveller wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:59 pm

No way did I suggest Hastings would be selected for the Lions, nor would Russell, Biggar, Ford and Farrell would be their choice based on who the coach is and current form.
Russell may well not make the Lions Test team, but I'd be astonished if he wasn't in with a shout to tour with the Lions.
Nonetheless, forget the Lions. As an England supporter I'd far sooner play Scotland with Hastings as their 10, than I would Russell. The later is in a different class - which is partly demonstrated by the fact that Racing chose to pay a fortune for him rather than Hastings.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Be very surprised if Ford goes regardless of form with Gatland!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:28 pm Be very surprised if Ford goes regardless of form with Gatland!
If the Lions is on Sky few will know and even fewer will care.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

teds wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:49 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:28 pm Be very surprised if Ford goes regardless of form with Gatland!
It will be and that's not the case,The Lions as well as the RWC draws the causal fans out
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:32 pm
It will be and that's not the case,The Lions as well as the RWC draws the causal fans out
A handful of casual viewers may watch it but as far as I can see Sky stopped publishing viewing figures for rugby because they were losing viewers at an alarming rate.

Same thing happened with cricket. Why do you think Sky agreed to sharing some cricket World Cup games with Free To Air.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'm not sure teds but local pubs in my village and the nearest town are always packed Lions times as are many pubs in Birmingham city centre so I'd hazard a guess youre wrong here,I'd probably guess you bear a grudge because its not free to air any more. Am I right? 😉
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:02 pm I'm not sure teds but local pubs in my village and the nearest town are always packed Lions times as are many pubs in Birmingham city centre so I'd hazard a guess youre wrong here,I'd probably guess you bear a grudge because its not free to air any more. Am I right? 😉
If it’s not free to air I probably won’t watch it or take any interest in it, again. I don’t think that means I bear a grudge. It used to frustrate me when I couldn’t watch the Lions games but to be honest I got used to it. It’s just a simple decision based on what I spend my limited disposable income on. And I am hazarding a guess, based on what’s been seen with cricket, it’s fairly a good guess that many others will make the same decision.

But if you see a few thousand viewers in your locals, good for them. The Pub and Club audience is very important to Sky but that’s not because it’s brings in high audience figures, it’s only on revenue.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

In my household, for the Lions we get the specific channel (Sky Sports Arena?) for a month on NowTV in order to watch the tour, plus the Super Rugby games too!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

teds wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:57 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:32 pm

A handful of casual viewers may watch it but as far as I can see Sky stopped publishing viewing figures for rugby because they were losing viewers at an alarming rate.

Same thing happened with cricket. Why do you think Sky agreed to sharing some cricket World Cup games with Free To Air.
Out of interest, do BT publish their rugby viewing figures?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

To the best of my knowledge The Lions has been pay to view since at least the 97 tour. If people don’t have Sky there are plenty of options in pubs or local rugby clubs.
It is all part of the sponsorship required for a hugely expensive tour.